Vintage Rogers Drums

W

Whitedrummer

A friend of mine offered me this vintage Rogers kit and a Gretsch USA 5.5x14 maple snare for my Mapex Saturn kit. Good deal? The Rogers is in a Koa wrap, it's from the mid sixties and is clean, 8x12,9x13,16x16,14x22, 5x14 Rogers metal snare.
1229081647editedxw8.jpg

1229081650editedqv3.jpg

That sounds like a deal I'd go for provided the Rogers are in round and no separations. Older growth wood plus I love the re ring sound. I'd take it.

...go for it.

it looks like too good a deal to pass on.

Barry

The snare is probably worth almost as much as your kit, not to mention the value of that Rogers kit. Sounds like a deal to me.

The snare is probably worth almost as much as your kit, not to mention the value of that Rogers kit. Sounds like a deal to me.

What? The Mapex Saturn kits go for over $1,800, I don't think the Gretsch snare is more than $500 new and this is a used one.

Unless you are really impressed with the Saturns, I'd make the trade. You can always get another Saturn kit. Or, for that matter, any new kit, still being made. Much harder to find a "vintage" Rogers Koa kit in good shape. My XP8's here: http://www.drummerworld.com/forums/showthread.php?t=45510

Harry, what kind of heads would you recomend for the Rogers kit? Do you have and video or audio clips of your kit? I mean the Mapex kit I have sounds great and with coated ambassadors they almost sound vintage. I suppose the Rogers kit would be a better investment.

I stand corrected,

Go look at completed auctions and see what the Rogers kit and the snare go for. Then you can decide if it is worth it to you.

Harry, what kind of heads would you recomend for the Rogers kit?
Personally, I'd feel right at home with Ambassador, Controlled Sound, Emperor, or Powerstroke 3 heads batter....Ambassador reso. All those heads will give you great sound. It's just a question of "what sound" you want on any given day. If you "almost" have your Saturns sounding vintage, slipping behind this kit will take the "almost" out of the equation. You will be there.
I suppose the Rogers kit would be a better investment.
Very true. That Rogers kit already sells for "way more" than it originally sold for. The Saturn will probably never come close to that claim.

Back