MINIMAL Renowns

JohnnyG

Honorary Lifetime CEO
Staff member
With the popularity lately of the four-piece kit I decided to shave down the Gretsch
Renowns for a while and get back to my roots.

22, 12, 14, Taye Studio Maple snare
21 inch Sweet ride and 17 inch A crash, with 15 inch New Beat Hats

Attachments

• CIMG0351.JPG
    CIMG0351.JPG
    158.1 KB · Views: 589
  • CIMG0352.JPG
    CIMG0352.JPG
    125.5 KB · Views: 588
  • CIMG0353.JPG
    CIMG0353.JPG
    128.3 KB · Views: 585
  • CIMG0349.JPG
    CIMG0349.JPG
    152.6 KB · Views: 585
I like it. Always good to have "spare" drums in reserve, but you can never go wrong with a good quality 4 piece.

It's lookin good GD!

Is that a Taye Pedal?
How does it compare to er... normal/more common pedals?

Thanks for the comments guys. I feel like a new drummer, or the same one I was when I was 16.
King that is a Taye pedal, good eye. The only other decent pedal I can compare it to is my DW 7000, and it does not compare. The Taye pedal is much better. I haven't tried any other pedals in the more common sense but I can't imagine anything better. It adjusts every which way but loose to coin a phrase.

Another vote to hear some recording. Between the 15 inch NBs and the four-piece I can tell some phat beats have been played behind this setup. Inspires me to downsize my renowns to four drums if i ever get to it.

I just looked at your kit. Did you change the claws on the bass drum or are they stock, and what year are they??

I just looked at your kit. Did you change the claws on the bass drum or are they stock, and what year are they??

The former owner of my drums said that he bought them new about 1 1/2 years ago. I got the drums with the claws, and the seller didn't say anything about replacing the claws so I'm assuming they're stock. He's a DW member so I'm about to send him a PM. Not that I mind the claws, they look great to me.

The former owner of my drums said that he bought them new about 1 1/2 years ago. I got the drums with the claws, and the seller didn't say anything about replacing the claws so I'm assuming they're stock. He's a DW member so I'm about to send him a PM. Not that I mind the claws, they look great to me.
They look fine to me as well just wondered. Mine are more streamlined looking.

They look fine to me as well just wondered. Mine are more streamlined looking.

I think the ones on your kick are die-cast. I always had tuning problems on my old kit with bent claws so I was hoping to get some die-cast ones but my claws seem to tune up fine so no worries.

A sound file......................

Disregard the metronome. Forgot to turn it off, and the dropped stick at about 27 seconds.

Attachments

• My Song 13.mp3
    1.9 MB · Views: 227
Bo....Sorry about that. I was having trouble loading the file and hit submit to check it, then had to go back an edit. Thanks. That was recorded with my Mac Laptop and the small mic in the screen.

I guess I must be a loud player, because when I record on my mac's built-in mic it doesn't sound nearly as nice as this recording. Great sounding drums. That's it, I NEED to get some coated g2s on my drum as soon as possible.

Back