Losing that second crash cymbal

Bo Eder

Platinum Member
You know how people always have a crash cymbal on the hi-hat side, and then another one on the ride cymbal side? I actually have a second crash just for this purpose but I haven't been using it lately. A crash and a ride seem to be all I need, in addition to a pair of hats. I did a gig the other day and I brought the secondary crash just in case, but I ended up not using it. I use my cowbell more than a second crash.

Part of me thinks the music I play must be so simple because I've been getting along lately with a 'catalog' kit - meaning my kit looks like it came out of a catalog (i.e. Ludwig's Big Beat displayed with two cymbals, or Roger's Londoner 5 displayed with two cymbals). Or my playing is getting to be so boring I can actually get by with even less (like Charlie Watts).

Not sure if I'm getting extremely lazy in my old age, or my apathy level is rising, hard to tell.

I know we have alot of people here who are constantly adding things, or trying things, there must be a number of us who are subtracting things, right? I never thought my attitude about drumming and gear would change as I got older, I've always been pretty excited about seeing new kits, or seeing some exciting new thing to make our lives all easier. Maybe the "You'll never be a big rock star" idea has finally sunk in?

Don't worry about using crashes. Just make a psssssshhh sound.

I've been feeling the same way about my high tom. I think I'd rather have the extra cymbal you want to get rid of and do all my tom work on a big low tuned floor tom.

I say ditch it, at least for a while. If you want it back later, put it back on the stand!

I'm picturing the first songs on your song list as;
Mississippi Queen
Honky Tonk Woman
American band

More cowbell!!!........ Terry

Welcome to the 2 cymbal club!!! Wooo!

I wanted to just use hats and 2 cymbals for quite a while before I actually did it. I was a little afraid of.... "whatever" to REALLY do it on a gig.
When I finally did just use, then bring only 2 cymbals (on a gig), it was actually liberating.

Now, a few years later, at this point, I don't really want more cymbals than the 2.

For one band I am in, "more" is appropriate, but I am going to try 2 out on a show. I actually just use 1 cymbal and hats in rehearsal with that band. They won't care as long as the songs still rock--which it actually feels MORE aggressive with the 2 cymbal set up for some reason.

The gong stays for gigs other than back line deals. The bands like it, and it's different because no one else uses one.

I use a 20" 2002 CRASH, and a 24" 2002 CRASH (as the "ride"). Sometimes I use the Giant Beats, but the 24" crash makes a great ride, and the bell is really nice.
I looked into a 21" 2002 CRASH, because that would be a great in-between size, as the 22" is a tad to big to use as "the crash" (sounds great though).
Then I found out the up charge, and the wait time for a 21". Eeesh...

I hate splash cymbals. There. I said it. They just really sound unnecessary to me in most things they are used in.
JMO, what do I know? I have a gong. Play on :)

It really depends on my mood. Sometimes I have a left and right side crash, sometimes just a right side crash and a ride. I use big cymbals, so it's easy for me to get a few colors out of the 20" ride I use as a main crash.

Last edited:
I've got a ton of cymbals,

but I've never used more than hats and two cymbals at once. In many, many years.

Never felt I was lacking anything either.

Depends on what setup I'm using.

If I'm using my 4-piece, I only use my Benny Greb sand hats, crash, and ride.

If I'm using my 5-piece, I use my K hats, A Custom ride, and two A Custom crashes.

I'll say that I've always enjoyed playing my 4-piece more than the 5. The Groove is stronger in me when playing a more minimalist kit. I don't feel like I'm necessarily a better drummer, just a groovier one.

I'm down to two cymbals as well. It is liberating, and at the same time forces a little bit more creativity. Essential though that my right side 'ride' cymbal be 'crashable'.

I've forced myself over the years to play with anywhere from zero to three crashes plus effects. I like the different setups all for different reasons. For basic rock gigs it's one to two crashes.

Frankly, my choice has a lot to do with whether I have to lug all the stuff myself or not.

In a way - I love it when I see guys with huge sets and all that stuff and they play really well. Benny Greb - Sure! Jojo? Heck yeah. But when I do it, I feel like a putz. Perhaps I have this built-in feeling of inferiority (not really), but I never like to look like I know what I'm doing until I'm actually doing it. And if I do it on close to nothing - more power to me, right?

I meet so many guys who have everything, and it's all so important that they have it for their gigs, that I think I no longer want to be bothered. I had joked when I saw the Buddy Rich Memorial Concert DVD's that what they should've done was provide a Buddy rich drumset for every player instead of letting them use what they normally use. That would've been an eye-opener, and the players probably woulda' dug it. I'm sure all of those guys could swing on a four piece - it just would've been nice to see.

But right now, I'm digging a five-piece kit. I can float back and forth between four and five drums. But the requisite cowbell and ride and crash cymbals, is it for me.

I'm considering the gong. That might be really cool just to have. At least a 36" ;)

I only use the second crash so I can look cool using my right and left hands.

The ride cymbal is the one I could almost eliminate.

I agree with what most of you are saying regarding the idea that less is more. In fact hauling less stuff to a gig is a good idea.

However, I need you guys to cut me some slack on this issue. I played drums for 20 years with a four piece kit, hi hat and two cymbals, one ride, one crash.
Then for the next 40 years I played the same old setup maybe one time every other year. In other words I was not playing drums.

A few months ago I started playing in a band one night per week. I purchased my first set of new drums in 60 years. The first set of drums I have ever purchased. (My Father brought me my first set of drums).
I now have a five piece set with five cymbals, one ride and four crash. I'm having the time of my life playing again !!! Right now I'll take as many cymbals and drums as I can get !!!!!

I'm like a 12 year old with his first set of drums ! Cut me some slack ! LOL

I can appreciate the 2 cymbal only approach, but I still want 3 crashes :), 1 on the hi hat side and 2 on the ride side with the 2 floor toms = happy family. I really like having 3 pitch options when I want a crash - 3 different sizes of Paiste 2002s.

I agree with what most of you are saying regarding the idea that less is more. In fact hauling less stuff to a gig is a good idea.

However, I need you guys to cut me some slack on this issue. I played drums for 20 years with a four piece kit, hi hat and two cymbals, one ride, one crash.
Then for the next 40 years I played the same old setup maybe one time every other year. In other words I was not playing drums.

A few months ago I started playing in a band one night per week. I purchased my first set of new drums in 60 years. The first set of drums I have ever purchased. (My Father brought me my first set of drums).
I now have a five piece set with five cymbals, one ride and four crash. I'm having the time of my life playing again !!! Right now I'll take as many cymbals and drums as I can get !!!!!

I'm like a 12 year old with his first set of drums ! Cut me some slack ! LOL

OK, you can be the exception. Rock on, man ;)

I like having 2 crashes, 1 Stack/China, 1 ride, 1 hats. I have the 2 crashes because I 'ride' the right hand side one (above the ride), and I like to have my left hand free (from the right hand crossing over it) to hit the tom, hats and other crash. I have a four piece.

I'm in my 20's and gig quite a bit. Just being a lazy bastard I only take my ride, hats and crash to any gig that isn't my main band. If I can get away with it, I only take my floor tom. For my main band I include some extra percussion (tambourine, cowbell, triangle and splash) because the music calls for it.

Been playing a church gig recently. Took the gig after the last drummer, a very hard hitter, left. Apparently his playing was overpowering the vocals. A member of the congregation recently, seeing me set up my slimmed down setup, sarcastically says "You mean you don't need 12 cymbals to play?"

Understated is good Bo, less crap to haul. Plus I just bought my first K. A 22 K dark Medium ride with a wonderful bell. I see what you were going about regarding your 20" K. I really could take this baby plus the hats to a gig and be fine.

You could be taking the Benny Greb approach. "Its not about equipping yourself with more fancy stuff, Its getting rid of the excess you dont really need" .

Back