JoJo Mayer
Steve Gadd
Terry Bozzio
Mike Portnoy
Johnny Rabb
Buddy Rich
Hal Blaine

If there are any others, just post

All of my drummers were the tops in Drum Corp/Highschool.I suck,took 3 lessons on drumchannel today,getting better,but I'm a guitarist of 30+yrs.

Getting back to the drum corp,great fundamentals.

Did Neil Peart ever March? How about...

Mitch Mitchell
JoJo Mayer
Steve Gadd
Terry Bozzio
Mike Portnoy
Johnny Rabb
Buddy Rich
Hal Blaine

If there are any others, just post

Not sure if Buddy ever marched since he was a child vaudeville star. But I think for sure Steve Gadd marched. Billy Cobham said he marched as well (I think he was with the Blue Devils?) I think Bun E. Carlos had some involvement with the Phantom Regiment - drum corps was a popular thing to do as a kid in the 60s, I suppose.

I know Ray Luzier played snare in a marching band, but I can't think of any others that I know of.

I played in a marching band for many years in my youth, but I played the baritone horn :)

Tommy Igoe was in the Bridgemen.

Steve Gadd was in the Rochester Crusaders.

Jojo is from Switzerland, so he probably didn't march any DCI corps. Plus he was already on the road at 18.

Johnny Rabb strikes me as the drum corps type, but I don't know if he did or not.

I saw an interview with Pick Withers where he said he was in the drum corps.

I believe 311's Chad Sexton marched.

I also marched through about age 16.

And, I marched again recently for the Sports Song video - premiered this morning at www.weirdal.com

Bermuda

I wondered if Neil Peart ever marched

I'm pretty sure that he did not, at least not in a major drum corps, and probably not even at any school level. He was focused on drumset as a lad and moved to London while quite young in an attempt to break into the music scene there. While he did take lessons and attend conservatory, there is no historic mention of him ever playing marching percussion.

I never could march. Tried it, kept getting busted for not being in step. So I went back to jazz band. :D

I marched 3 years with sax, 1 year with bass drum, and 20 years with the Army, and I *still* screw it up now and again =P

I'm pretty sure that he did not, at least not in a major drum corps, and probably not even at any school level. He was focused on drumset as a lad and moved to London while quite young in an attempt to break into the music scene there. While he did take lessons and attend conservatory, there is no historic mention of him ever playing marching percussion.

I thought Neil Peart did march at first, but I have seen a bunch of different answers for this question. Recently, I had the chance to write a letter to Rush for a school project, and I asked if Neil as ever marched. I will post when I get a response.

I marched in D&B Corp for two years. It was a good experience for proper form. Although I have probably lost much of that form!

I think Hannah Ford marched. I saw a video about her explaining her technique and she was saying that the marching instructor was really anal about the sticks having to be exactly 90 degrees apart. She had to keep her elbows pretty far away from her body to make this happen.

Pretty cool.

I was in a Junior Corp in Seattle area in the 1965, I'm on the bass drum, I was 10.

Later there was a Seattle based baseball franchise THAT STOLE OUR NAME...

The Seattle Mariners.

Attachments

• img047_edit2.jpg
    img047_edit2.jpg
    165.6 KB · Views: 291
Pretty cool.

I was in a Junior Corp in Seattle area in the 1965, I'm on the bass drum, I was 10.

Later there was a Seattle based baseball franchise THAT STOLE OUR NAME...

The Seattle Mariners.

Now, I look at this photo, and I see that the snares are using slings. However, now a days, they use harnesses. When I saw this, I just thought that traditional grip is not nessecary anymore, because of harnesses, and several other reasons. Here is an article about that.

http://www.teenink.com/nonfiction/a...Traditional-Grip-Why-it-Should-Never-be-Used/

I personally prefer matched grip for snare, mainly because its unnatural, it hurts my hand and arm muscles for that reason, we have harnesses now, I lead with the left hand, and for power. So a whole bunch of reasons why I dont like it.

That's funny, everyone else in the picture is out of step! :)

Back