14x11 versus 14x12

Ok, if you're gonna get wrapped up in semantics..

They have the same tension on the heads. They heads are the same, lets say coated amb over clear amb. They a made from the same materials..Let's say maple 8 ply, satin stained, 45 degree intter bearing edge with a 45 degree back cut. And they are hit in the same location in a room at the same velocity.

They have the same tension on the heads. They heads are the same, lets say coated amb over clear amb. They a made from the same materials..Let's say maple 8 ply, satin stained, 45 degree intter bearing edge with a 45 degree back cut. And they are hit in the same location in a room at the same velocity.

All things being equal, they will have the same fundamental pitch. The shallower drum will have a more clear fundamental tone and faster response, while the deeper drum will have more resonance and richness and the fundamental won't be as prominent.

I have both of these sizes in the same shell, from the same company.

Deathmetalconga was pretty on, but I'd like to add that, it's easier to get the clearer tone and you can also hear each stroke a bit clearer when doing multiple strokes.

The 12 deep can have "more resonance" but, if you are loose with the tuning, the 12x14 can sound a bit hollow if you aren't careful.
More resonance can be good if the drums got a full tone and a smooth decay evenly and isn't just "ringing" longer.

To my ear, the 11x14 sounds like a big tom, and the 12x14 is more like a small floor tom--which it's great for, as it can be quicker and fatter sounding than a 14x14 (I have 12x14 and 14x14 floor toms too).

If you are looking for a big sound, but need a clean sound out of the big note/tone, then a 10x14 might be better if it's available from the company you like--otherwise, for a tom I'd suggest the 11x14 size as opposed to the 12x14.

One more thing...you can play the shorter depth toms dynamically easier and with less loss of good solid tone than a deeper one.

It might not matter if you are playing hard most of the time--the 10 or 11 deep can "take it" as well as a 12--but if you want to play the drum lighter sometimes, or in certain passages of songs, you'll get better overall results from the shallower drum.

Hope this helps.

Unless you have the different shells right beside each other, I doubt you'll notice a different in one inch. A squared 14x14 vs a 14x11 would be worth debating, and would follow the guidelines DMC spoke of. If you want to be smart, divide the diameter by the depth on all the toms and select the size which best matches the ratio of your other toms.

Im likely getting a 12x9 rack tom, ratio wise the 14x11 seems like the right choice.

But it would be my only floor tom so i'd want to perform more like that.

The 14x12 seems like it would sound more like a FT, than the 14x11 and the 14x12 usually has legs where as the 14x11 is typically mounted.

So yeah i'm still up in the air...

I guess in the long run it doesn't matter and i'd prefer the FT to have legs so im leaning towards the 14x12 at this point.

Im looking to buy a PDP platinum kit in satin black: Kick 18x22, Rack 9x12, Floor Tom 11x14 or 12x14, Snare 14x6.

Ill be selling my ludwig classic birch blue sparkle kit soon. 16x20,8x10, 14x14, and some cymbals, and maybe my other snares. I'm a minimalist.

I just bought some paiste 2002s, 20" ride, 18 crash/ I plain on buying 14" 2002 medium hats as well.

Wish me luck! Thanks for all the responses. I do appreciate it.

Not being a smart ass,
Stickers

Last edited:
Since it's going to be a floor tom, then get the 12x14.

I run 12x14 -14x16 on one side of my kit, and they sound great, and the 14 doesn't sound "small" at all.

Good luck in getting your new kit!

I have both of these sizes in the same shell, from the same company.

Deathmetalconga was pretty on, but I'd like to add that, it's easier to get the clearer tone and you can also hear each stroke a bit clearer when doing multiple strokes.

The 12 deep can have "more resonance" but, if you are loose with the tuning, the 12x14 can sound a bit hollow if you aren't careful.
More resonance can be good if the drums got a full tone and a smooth decay evenly and isn't just "ringing" longer.

To my ear, the 11x14 sounds like a big tom, and the 12x14 is more like a small floor tom--which it's great for, as it can be quicker and fatter sounding than a 14x14 (I have 12x14 and 14x14 floor toms too).

If you are looking for a big sound, but need a clean sound out of the big note/tone, then a 10x14 might be better if it's available from the company you like--otherwise, for a tom I'd suggest the 11x14 size as opposed to the 12x14.

One more thing...you can play the shorter depth toms dynamically easier and with less loss of good solid tone than a deeper one.

It might not matter if you are playing hard most of the time--the 10 or 11 deep can "take it" as well as a 12--but if you want to play the drum lighter sometimes, or in certain passages of songs, you'll get better overall results from the shallower drum.

Hope this helps.

I agree and would add that the deeper drum will have more of the sound of the shell material in its output. The particular properties of the shell - mahogany, maple, birch, bubinga, brass, acrylic, whatever - will be more pronounced in the deeper drum, simply because you are making more of the shell material vibrate.

And had you read the Tuning Bible link I sent you would have understood the semantics. Which is the same as what DMG told you.

Back