Drum store being sued

Perhaps she could have bought the earplugs more quickly?

Yeah, no chance of this one sticking. Larger cymbals aren't inherently louder and six feet might leave you with a bit of a ring but it's not a permanent unless there is something amiss physically. If there was something amiss physically then I can't see how the shop owner would know, so he's not liable.

If she did develop tinnitus that severely after visiting the shop, I'd hypothesise that there is a neurological condition at work that happened to coincide with the time around her visit.

I'm not a lawyer but I think this will get thrown out in seconds.

Good luck proving her hearing wasn't bad before she visited the shop. Could have been a ruse.

I hit large cymbals more repeatedly, over several decades, and at distance much shorter than 6 feet! Can I sue the cymbal companies?

Sheesh... anything for a buck, eh?

Bermuda

She may have been a rock and roll singer in the 70's.
And ever since then she may have hated drummers. (They may have done too many loud fills while she was singing.)

Last edited:
Don't ya just love people! I have been working in a service biz since 1975 and I have met my share of wonderful people like the plaintive in the lawsuit.
In the USA the insurance companies settle these claims and pay out because it is cheaper then fighting them. Sad, but true most of the time.

THAT'S MY FAVOURITE DRUM SHOP - how very dare she!

Can't see the Scottish courts allowing that. I bloody hope not, anyway.

It's a drum shop - what did she expect, gentle Gallic harp caressed by an angel wearing cotton gloves? Anyhow, why can't her son buy his own ear protection? Is this in fact the "cape recovery mum" seeking retribution. Has she nothing better to do?

Sounds like she needs a good banging to me ;)

Honestly, this piece of spam just arrived in my inbox as I'm typing this. Perhaps she got the same mail!

Attachments

• tinitus.jpg
    tinitus.jpg
    227.2 KB · Views: 575
I'd love it if the drum shop turn up to court with some loud objects to demonstrate how they can't cause chronic tinnitus...

They're UFiP dealers. Maybe they hit a Zildjian ZBT to show her the difference, and that's what caused it.

I hit large cymbals more repeatedly, over several decades, and at distance much shorter than 6 feet! Can I sue the cymbal companies?

Sheesh... anything for a buck, eh?

Bermuda

I hear you, I would assume any audiologist could shoot this nonsense down in moments.

Just hope the judge is not a guitarist...

I have tinnitus as well, I got mine from life in the 20th century. Jets, radios, stereos, bands... engines, jackhammers, chain saws, impact hammers... the list is long and storied... maybe we should issue hearing protectors at birth!

One question though... Is medical coverage "free" in Scotland (i.e. accounted for through taxation)? And wouldn't tinnitus be covered? Just asking.

Which... not wanting to get too political; if medical expenses are covered through taxation how can anyone sue for damages? Damages are usually sought because the individual can't pay for the medical costs and after care costs and equipment. If taxes cover that, how can they successfully file suit?

I'm confused.

One question though... Is medical coverage "free" in Scotland (i.e. accounted for through taxation)? And wouldn't tinnitus be covered? Just asking.

Which... not wanting to get too political; if medical expenses are covered through taxation how can anyone sue for damages? Damages are usually sought because the individual can't pay for the medical costs and after care costs and equipment. If taxes cover that, how can they successfully file suit?

I'm confused.
Yes, medical cover is provided through taxation. I'm assuming the basis of the claim is compensation for discomfort, lack of sleep, reduced sex life, reduced cape recovery skills, cost of new cinema room with uber sound system, not knowing when her Aston Martin service beeper is operational, sympathetic vibration of breast implants, etc, etc ;)

My daughter is a lawyer,and I'm gushingly proud of her,....but having said that....what do you call 100 lawyers at the bottom of the ocean?.....A good start.The bottom feeders are just generating business,and judges should dismiss these nusance suits ....post haste.Enough already with ridiculous claims

Steve B

Yes, medical cover is provided through taxation. I'm assuming the basis of the claim is compensation for discomfort, lack of sleep, reduced sex life, reduced cape recovery skills, cost of new cinema room with uber sound system, not knowing when her Aston Martin service beeper is operational, sympathetic vibration of breast implants, etc, etc ;)

Dang, that was funny!

To the story itself, what a crock.

It's a drum shop - what did she expect, gentle Gallic harp caressed by an angel wearing cotton gloves?

Sounds like she needs a good banging to me ;)
. .

hahahahaha.. .

All kinds of things can cause tinnitus-multiple sclerosis, certain medications, but usually associated with hearing loss. The one incident isn't likely the cause because we have acoustic reflexes to protect our ears from hearing loss. It is usually the repeated exposure (So if you remember the incredibly loud rock groups of 70s concerts your ears would ring for days before your normal hearing would return) that produces the hearing loss-the high frequency hair cells within the inner ear are closest to the eardrum so they usually are injured first. The loss of hair cells produces the ghost sounds-much like people who have lost limbs have ghost sensations. If she doesn't have hearing loss then she may have tinnitus but it wasn't caused from the cymbals and they need to find another cause.

Back