Funk drum kit

richard0lowe

Hay, new to the forum but i am in need of some much needed help with getting a new kit.

ok well my last kit was the joey jordison sig. kit [pearl exp. 8pc.] and that kit was pritty crap [and i hate metal music now!] getting rid of that kit i was looking for a new one. i have sabian aax and hh cymbals and the tama iron cobra base pedal [x2] and im in need of a nice kit the can play funk, jazz, fusion, blues and some swing [along with the odd rock tune] so i was looking around for a new kit. i have stumbled apon the pdp platinum kits and the BR sig. kit however the plat. is kinda $$ for me and the BR dosent have good reviews.

soooo, i was looking for a kit around £700-£1000 [i will need no hardware] i was looking at a kit with x1 bass drum,x1snare,x1rack tom and x2 floor toms. [much like the BR sig. set up. so anyone got any kits to reccomend or some next steps?? thanks

Last edited by a moderator:
Keep your eyes open for a Premier Signia, professional quality drums that pop up every once in a while in your price range. I'd look on ebay.

Tom

im not a fan of premier kits from the one i played in drum central edinburgh scotland it was pritty cheaply made....

Last edited:
Sorry but Signia is one of the best drums ever made, if you dont like Premier you can build your custom drumset by Unix, he makes stave and segmented shells with wide tuning range

yes well iv only play the mid range kits nothing over £500 and im not that clued up on what drums are good or not as im just begining my search so sorry to sound like a know it all =P im the oposite! can you reccomend and drums i could by new? because i live in the UK the drum on ebay arent very good/not that much cheaper than them new. so i was kinda looking for a kit around 700-1000 Bp £ rather than that second hand.

The PDP Platinums are great kits, they're the same shells are DW Collectors, just shipped down to Mexico to be built. Though they might be a bit out of your price range still consider them. You don't want to say, after you've made your decision and bought the kit, "damn, I wish I had saved up that extra $$ and went with something better."

If this is a kit that you'll be playing for a long time then make sure you get a quality instrument. I wouldn't go with the Vision, the Masters MCX are a great kit.

A symphony/drum set professional friend of mine tends to like birch kits for funk. Mind you, any kit will do--there's no rule about wood type, etc., for genre. With head changes, you can change your sound. But birch kits are generally less expensive than maple kits and still sound great.

According to current pound to dollar conversions, £1,000 limit is about $1,460. ($1500 = about £1029.)

For your price range, Zambizzi is quite right: if you are going with Pearl, I would get the Masters MCX. Way better than Visions.

For Mapex, check out the Meridian series in either maple or birch--both should fit your price range easily. Shane at Just Drums (justdrumsonline.com) provides excellent deals on Taye and Mapex gear. A Saturn kit would probably run you between $1600 and $1900.

For Taye StudioMaple kits (Taye's high-end kit) or Yamaha Oak Custom kits (great sound and quality for a lower price), you can get a good kit setup for $1100 to $1600.

For Tama Starclassic Birch/Bubinga, you could get a scaled-down kit for $1500 or so.

If you can swing an extra $400 to up your limit to $1800, I can put you in touch with a great music shop in the States that could possibly get you the birch kit par excellance, Yamaha Recording Custom, for about $1900 and some change for a 20" bass, two tom, floor tom setup. I'm assuming, of course, that there would not be any problems ordering between UK and US. (This particular music shop usually offers great deals on Yamaha drums.)

For Sonor, the Force 3007 series is a pretty nice kit--lacquer finish, good sound, Sonor Tune-Safe rods; check out an actual kit's sound here:

http://www.indoorstorm.com/Sonor_Drum_Set_Force_3007_Series_Studio_Maple-p-3609.html

I know the staff at Indoor Storm--great people--and this kit (20, 14, 12, 10) is only $1350. You could probably add on an extra floor tom and lose the 10" tom, to fit your exact setup idea, for roughly the same amount.

I would say if you literally want to get more drums for your money, then Mapex Meridian or Taye StudioMaple would probably be the best way to go. The larger the kit configuration, the more expensive the Tamas, Yamahas, or higher-end Mapexes will be.

I don't know much about Ludwig or Gretsch Renown kits, but those are both worth a look. Indoor Storm (site above) has sound files for Renown kits.

I know some of these recommendations are clearly over your £1000 limit, but, as Solaris rightly notes below: "Though they might be a bit out of your price range still consider them. You don't want to say, after you've made your decision and bought the kit, 'damn, I wish I had saved up that extra $$ and went with something better.' If this is a kit that you'll be playing for a long time then make sure you get a quality instrument. I wouldn't go with the Vision, the Masters MCX are a great kit." I agree completely: a good drum kit will last you for years and years, and you won't ever regret your decision. Drums cost a lot, but they can be viewed as life-time purchases--your kit should be with you for quite a long time.

However, if you feel that you may want to sell your kit down the road for something else, then I would definitely recommend the Pearl MCX or the Yamahas. Upper-end Yamaha, DW, Pearl, Gretsch tend to have good resale value.

Note: for tom hardware, I think Yamaha and Sonor have the best hands down. The L-rod stuff from Mapex and Taye or Pearl's tube mount arms are okay.

Hope those suggestions help!

Last edited:
Ok so I I'm looking at the pearl meastes mcx ATM and I'm looking for a snare kick 1 rack 2 floor set up, dose anyone know any / how much it would cost?

Thanks

Ok so I I'm looking at the pearl meastes mcx ATM and I'm looking for a snare kick 1 rack 2 floor set up, dose anyone know any / how much it would cost?

Thanks

You're probably not going to get the snare w/ the kit...but the kit should be affordable enough for you to buy a snare to add to it.

I paid around $900USD for a 3pc (two toms, kick) at Guitar Center for my first one. An extra tom would be a couple/few hundred more.

Can u buy a set up with 1 rack and 2 floors? If not can u reccomend a good snare to go with the kit? Mane a pearl or dw?

I'm not sure, but I know they can be bought as separate drums at Massmusic.net and other dealers. No idea where you'd buy in the UK.

Pearl makes a lot of great snares, it's all in what you're looking for. DW snares are nice but very expensive.

Figure out the sound you want and hit eBay - you can't find a better deal, seriously.

I'm not sure, but I know they can be bought as separate drums at Massmusic.net and other dealers. No idea where you'd buy in the UK.

Pearl makes a lot of great snares, it's all in what you're looking for. DW snares are nice but very expensive.

Figure out the sound you want and hit eBay - you can't find a better deal, seriously.

I'm looking for a nice funky snare that is like the refrence series ( ilike dennis chambers and omar hakim etc.) but more affordable?
I won't have much for the snare tho as a 3pc mcx will cost almost £1000 here!! :(

ok so after doing some research it is working out to much for a 4pc + snare from the uk...

so... i was wondering if pearl would do custom kits in the uk, i was looking at 20" x 18"BD, 10" x 8"TT[ or12" x 9"TT ], 14" x 14"FT and a mcx snare. i was hoping that would come out at just over £1000 but i cant find a setup like this so i was hoping they would take a custom order?

thanks

ok so after doing some research it is working out to much for a 4pc + snare from the uk...

so... i was wondering if pearl would do custom kits in the uk, i was looking at 20" x 18"BD, 10" x 8"TT[ or12" x 9"TT ], 14" x 14"FT and a mcx snare. i was hoping that would come out at just over £1000 but i cant find a setup like this so i was hoping they would take a custom order?

thanks

Yeah, you can order them - try a local drum shop or try to find a Pearl dealer in your area.

Hay just wondering if somone could give me a quote on a pearl masters mcx kit or where i could get one?

set up: 22" x 18"BD, 12" x 9"TT, 14" x 14"FT

thanks

Back