The British or the Americans?

Cool! What's the name of the school?

Ashfield boys high school

EarlyACDC.jpg

In the early years, angus wore the ashfield uniform and the distinctive 'A' cap

Cool! That's what I was thinking, about the onstage school uniforms. Must be a point of pride for Ashfield alumni.

Although reading back, i'm not sure why I asked that question, given that you'd given me the answer, hmmm.....

Where would Hendrix fit . Was his music a British or an American contribution?

American bandleader, British band. Undoubtedly an American artist - but one who wouldn't have gained anything like as much exposure in America. It took Britain to actually make him famous; at which point he went back to the US and became the legend he is. There was a reason Chas Chandler brought him to London. Undoubtedly an American artist though.

Well put.

To an extent Led Zeppelin had a similar schizophrenic existence. Their reworked delta blues tunes became huge Brit-powered American experiences and then they'd come back home to small potatoes & a total lack of appreciation.

Critics & listeners alike.

Actually- the guy is right-

Brian Johnson is Scottish so is Angus and his brother- they moved to Austrailia as children

This is pointless in as much as music is a circle- We are/have been very good at taking your music and selling it back to you in a different form-

I have a wonderful quote from a newspaper article in the UK-

''The fact is, in pop terms, the US is Microsoft: vast, lumbering, clunky and a bit shit.

While the UK is Apple: nimble, zippy, innovative and totally up its own arse.

Gene Vincent, the Beatles, heavy metal, punk, disco, house and electronica - for decades, Britain has stolen American pop music, gayed it up and sold it back for a profit''

Couldnt have said it better myself

article:
http://www.guardian.co.uk/music/musicblog/2007/jul/02/aqualungcannevergohomeaga

brian johnson is english hes from newcastle

Well put.

To an extent Led Zeppelin had a similar schizophrenic existence. Their reworked delta blues tunes became huge Brit-powered American experiences and then they'd come back home to small potatoes & a total lack of appreciation.

Critics & listeners alike.

Even the listeners? I know English critics were willing to give them a hard time as they often do to bands that make it in the US, but I wouldn't have said it affected their home fan base. Hard to blame them for concentrating their efforts in America, just too much to gain. English band through and through ;)

Even the listeners? I know English critics were willing to give them a hard time as they often do to bands that make it in the US, but I wouldn't have said it affected their home fan base. Hard to blame them for concentrating their efforts in America, just too much to gain. English band through and through ;)

English antecedents for sure, but the home fan base was very small and selective I believe.

Clapton was God, the Stones were the next Beatles, and these long haired glam boys played really bad music really loud. Peter Grant had a hard time getting them decent home gigs while they were selling out huge stadiums across the Atlantic.

I think it took them 4 or 5 US tours to be taken seriously at home. ( Jimmy being the exception, he always had a rep )

Last edited:
I think the Americans did....no the British...no...
If you mean today's, I don't know since I don't listen to much of the current stuff.
I do think the British Invasion has influenced most of todays in some way, and most of the British Invasion acts say they were influenced most by Buddy Holly, Elvis, Bill Haley, Little Richard, Chuck Berry, Fats Domino. So which came first the chicken or the egg.
It was certainly give and take, The Americans and the British influenced each other simultaneously. One made a splash which triggered one overseas, back and forth it went. Probably to this day we are influencing each other. Fortunately, it took both to get here, so it's all good.

DJ culture (developed in New York in the late 70's as a direct result of Jamaican dub) was developed furiously in the UK during the 80's and 90's to the point where the majority of well-known electronic artists are in fact British acts.

You guys keep stealin' our ideas. :)

I'd like to answer your question with another question...

Who invented Blues, R&B, Soul, Motown, Jazz, Funk, and Rock n' Roll?
Yup, and add Hip Hop to the list. Fact is, most western popular music is rooted in America, specifically black America. Of course, artists from other countries (most notably Britain) have made brilliant and wonderful contributions along the way.

Brian Johnson was and to my mind always will be a replacement.

ACDC made it in Australia, all the original band members grew up for the majority of their lives in Australia and are very Australian.

Another thing is their identity as musicians did not exist when they were all six to eight years old.

Really, the original european Australians were english, scottish, irish anyway. Being Australian is more a state of mind, anyway.

Bon Scott was Australian
Phil Rudd is Australian
Malcolm Young is Australian
Angus Young is Australian

ACDC is Australian as vegimite. Both brothers went to my school, Ashfield Boys High School. George young's band was The Easybeats, another distinctly Australia band.

I have to put my...10p...in on this AC/DC thing.

Bon Scott and the Young brothers (including producer George) all came from Scotland originally and moved to Australia when young.
Mark Evans and Phil Rudd were native Australians.

However, Mark Evan's replacement in 1977 was of course Cliff Williams, who is from England, and never lived in Australia. The same goes for Brian Johnson, who's from Newcastle. So that makes them at least 50% British, I would say. Also, they were influenced first by US blues, RnB and rock 'n' roll, and then by british rock bands, Led Zeppelin foremost among them, so who they belong to is anyone's guess really.

In fact, this whole thing comes down more to a question of ownership than anything else, doesn't it?

Who owns music? Led Zeppelin were from England but were inspired by US blues musicians who were drawing in no small part on African culture...so Led Zeppelin are from Africa? No.

Everything is influenced by everything else. Either this question has no answer, or it has an arbitrary one, like 'where were they born'. The lines in popular music culture are too blurred to make more precise judgements than that.

Bon Scott and the Young brothers (including producer George) all came from Scotland originally and moved to Australia when young.

However, Mark Evan's replacement in 1977 was of course Cliff Williams, who is from England, and never lived in Australia. The same goes for Brian Johnson, who's from Newcastle. So that makes them at least 50% British, I would say. Also, they were influenced first by US blues, RnB and rock 'n' roll, and then by british rock bands, Led Zeppelin foremost among them, so who they belong to is anyone's guess really.

In fact, this whole thing comes down more to a question of ownership than anything else, doesn't it?

Who owns music? Led Zeppelin were from England but were inspired by US blues musicians who were drawing in no small part on African culture...so Led Zeppelin are from Africa? No.

Everything is influenced by everything else. Either this question has no answer, or it has an arbitrary one, like 'where were they born'. The lines in popular music culture are too blurred to make more precise judgements than that.

Very good explanation.
In addition, The Scott Family were from Kirriemuir and The Young Family were from Glasgow, Scotland (Alba). They emigrated to Australia, setting roots in Sydney (Young) and Freemantle (Scott).

Best Regards,

Let's not forget aboot all the great Canadian talent that's hit the mainstream in recent years:

Rush
Tragically Hip
Barenaked Ladies
Neil Young
The Guess Who
Jeff Healey
The Band
Bryan Adams
Our Lady Peace
Matthew Good Band
I Mother Earth
Nickleback
Finger Eleven
Alexisonfire, Dallas Green
Billy Talent
The Salads
Three Days Grace
Avril Lavigne
Shania Twain
Celine Dion
Anne Murray
Great Big Sea
Triumph
54-40 - I, I, I, I got an ocean's pearl ahahahah

I never said I was proud of everyone, but you can't argue their sucess. With my generation, there will come many more.

Canada - The only country to gain its independance by asking politely.

However, Mark Evan's replacement in 1977 was of course Cliff Williams, who is from England, and never lived in Australia.

The same goes for Brian Johnson, who's from Newcastle. So that makes them at least 50% British, I would say.

Also, they were influenced first by US blues, RnB and rock 'n' roll, and then by british rock bands, Led Zeppelin foremost among them, so who they belong to is anyone's guess really.

You will not find a more Australian tune than 'friday on my mind', you will not find a more australian band than the easy beats.

ACDC are an australian band. I don't care what you think, Brian Johnson sucks. His voice sounds like cats in a meat grinder...

Just because they immigrated doesn't mean anything to claim anything. Angus and Malcolm are the main songwriters to be sure. They're australian PERIOD

You got given facts and responded with the same argument as before, you can't just say 'AC/DC' are Australian because I'm going to ignore one of their members.

As for British or American, I listen to mainly British bands as they don't appear to be as 'samey' as in the US. Although most of my favourite bands are American, and I'm sure the UK bands I listen to were influenced by the US in some way.

Tom

The true pioneers of music will always be The Carpenters and Yanni !

You will not find a more Australian tune than 'friday on my mind', you will not find a more australian band than the easy beats.

ACDC are an australian band. I don't care what you think, Brian Johnson sucks. His voice sounds like cats in a meat grinder...

Just because they immigrated doesn't mean anything to claim anything. Angus and Malcolm are the main songwriters to be sure. They're australian PERIOD

Congratulations on winning the 'Missing My Point Completely' prize.

I don't think the Origin of AC/DC has any bearing on the thread. We all agree they were not American, so we will say for the purpose of the thread that they were British, or close to British, whatever, but not America. They prmote themselves or are promoted as an Australian band, so why bicker as to where they are from. Who cares.

Back