Fitness routine, practice and good health.

spirit

I am a 44 year old guy from Surrey- UK. I gig around 3-4 times a week, practice around the same for myself and with bands around twice a week, I teach in the day time for a living as well as run a small office cleaning company in the back ground- I employ people who work for me.
I realised around the age of 30 that I was slowing down and put on a lot of weight,as I did next to nothing and ate too much of the wrong foods at the wrong times and never exercised at all. This resulted in me slowing down and straining to survive when I played.

Over time I made small changes to my life- I dont eat out anymore- I was doing that 3 times a week I changed my eating for healthier food and cut down a lot on carbs!
I exercise every other day on a multi gym at home- I never even twitched a muscle b4!
I watch what I eat- have lost 3 stone blood pressure has dropped and my cholestoral also!

I find it so important to stay reasonably fit now as I really cant imagine how I would cope without being able to play drums.
I practice using my I pod via headphones on the line in- Roland td9..headphones and work a few tracks at a time till I dont have to think about what comes next- a chorous, verse, break etc.

Whats your exercise routine and how have you tried to ensure that you can play into old age well?

I'm on the Keith Moon health regimen. Works great.

Sleep is important. I just gave up coffee before a tour, and the difference is amazing. My muscles are far more relaxed, and I sleep better. It seems easier to get in the zone when my muscles are relaxed from sleep and good food. I am 43, and can relate to the slowing down.

I try to bike and walk 3 or 4 times a week. I usually eat a high protien, mid carb and low fat diet. and I used to work out in a gym 4 times a week but powerlifting took it's toll and now I only bike and walk, maybe swim. I'm currently recovering from shoulder surgery.

On the music side, I usually play most every day for 30 to 45 min. and often I'll find myself writing music during practice sessions, so I guess that'd be mind practice, lol. And I am currently geting ready to employ a new band and start gigging again by years end, plus I have 4 or 5 new songs ready to record.

So to balance I try to spend an equal amt of time playing that I do excercising, and try to watch what I eat, I'm almost 40 and want to be active on the kit for another 30 years.

Hi
I'm 54...gig 4 to 6 times per month,15 students and work full time. I walk 3 miles(45 minutes) 4 to 5 times per week. Practice 1 to 3 hours per day when not playing out or teaching. Sleep is very important. Moving the equipment is more work than playing 4 sets of music.
I find keeping active in music ,playing and teaching helps keep me active and young.Denis

Sleep is important. I just gave up coffee before a tour, and the difference is amazing. My muscles are far more relaxed, and I sleep better. It seems easier to get in the zone when my muscles are relaxed from sleep and good food. I am 43, and can relate to the slowing down.

I have two bad faults that I cant break to date.........I have 4 cups of very strong black coffee every morning and another 8 during the day, I also smoke like 20 a day.........Whoops!

Back