RIP Mr. Ed Shaugnessy

Oh man, he was the first "big name" drummer I ever met. Sad to hear he's gone.

This truly saddens me. the reason I decided to play drums when I was a kid was seeing Ed and Buddy trading chops on the Tonight Show.

Last edited by a moderator:
My band director was really into him. He gave me a pair of his signature sticks when I was 14. I still use oak drumsticks to this day.

I can't find any information on this. Is it really true?

The only "source" is his Wikipedia page that has a date of passing. No other information...anywhere.

There is absolutely nothing on the internet about Ed Shaugnessy dying. Where did you, the OP, get your information?

Rest in peace Mr. Shaughnessy. I took one lesson with the man and he gave me three sheets of paper of stuff that I still work on to this day. Like many I enjoyed his playing on the Tonight Show. He will be missed.

rest easy big Ed

one of the only men who could battle Buddy and completely hold his own

gone but absolutely never ever forgotten

One of the last greats from the big band heyday. A great drummer and educator. I never heard a bad word about him.

RIP, Ed Shaughnessy.

There wasn't anything that I could have given a link to, it was just the following statement from Pat, as posted don facebook (now some 3 hrs ago):

---- RIP, Ed Shaungnessy...Another giant of the drums, and classy gentleman, has left us a great legacy. I was so glad to have known him, and hang with him at the Ludwig Booth at NAMM, and at PASIC. He will be missed greatly. ----

I just had a look at wikipedia:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ed_Shaughnessy
The info on his demise was included in the wiki text.
But I agree, as of now there's basically (close to) no real evidence on the internet that he actually passed.

Update - statement by Tommy Igoe (via facebook, some 35 minutes ago):

---- Ed Shaughnessy taught an entire generation of drummers how to kcik the and of one. Night after night. Did he ever miss or stumble!? Nope. Never. He played that theme thousands upon thousands of times.Killing it every time with as much enthusiasm and sincerity as the first. And a great great cat to boot. ----

Last edited:
RIP Mr. Shaugnessy.

Great drummer, great musician and seemed like the nicest, most down to earth guy.

I had the pleasure of meeting Ed once. He had a presence when I spoke to him. Extremely classy and a great person. Quoted as saying he "survived" the Buddy duel.

Rightly or wrongly, I always thought Buddy a freak. He was so way out there in the stratosphere all by himself, beyond the rest of the mortals, he had no equal.

And yet everytime he came on Johnny Carson's show, there was this other drummer who would almost match him stride for stride and drum duel with him.And he could keep it up too. Show after show. You could also tell when the two of them played together that Buddy had enormous respect for Ed Shaunessy. You could always see it in his eyes, in his smile.

Like Bo & Six Stroke, I met Ed once too. A fine person he was.

RIP

Last edited:
No,he is not dead,he's officially a legend!
Heaven must be shaking of thunderous drumming in welcome of his arrival.
And what a welcome orchestra it is!

P.S. Until now,13th year of the XXI century is a bad luck for great musicians.
I hope this trend doesn't continue.

Back