Right place, right time = lucky me

TenPastTen

Silver Member
Well, I've come across a unique situation. At my local shop, I try to stop in at least once every three weeks, just to shoot the stuff or at least browse around the gear. I noticed on the counter where the snares share space with various special order items, there was a 5.5 x 10 Mapex Phosphor Bronze snare from their discontinued Precious Metals series. It was complete with Power Hoops and split lugs in their black nickel finish. Ever so intrepid, I asked what's the deal. My guy said it was a repair order (replaced all lugs) that they just put up near the counter. I took a cursory look at it and was impressed. I very tongue-in-cheek said that if it went unclaimed, that i would buy it. That was about 3 months ago.

Just yesterday, as soon as I walk in, my guy asks me if I want to buy that snare. Puzzled but curious I ask why now? He said the shop owner had exhausted his efforts to have the original owner of the drum pick it up and wanted it "out of his sight."

Now, the devil on my shoulder said, "Awesome, let's get this sucker's drum." While the angel on my other shoulder said, "Hey, put yourself in his shoes. Would you want someone to snipe your gear from you?"

So I said no, give the guy another chance to get his drum back. To which the shop owner said, "Too late. We've called him twice a month for TWO YEARS since his drum has been repaired. We even offered to drive it to him COD, and he passed. So I want it gone!"

**cue funeral music for the angel on my shoulder**

So, I settled the tab for the cost of the repair...

...and $60 later this little jewel came home with me! It pops like Carlton Fisk's knees, has more crack than Joe the Plumber, and more ring than Mr. T. It's a perfect side snare. I just can't wait 'till the Aquarian heads I ordered come in, and then it will be official.

Attachments

• bronzebadge.JPG
    bronzebadge.JPG
    92.4 KB · Views: 1,057
  • bronzethrowoff.JPG
    bronzethrowoff.JPG
    112.7 KB · Views: 1,031
  • bronzethrowoff2.JPG
    bronzethrowoff2.JPG
    97.1 KB · Views: 1,047
  • bronzeoh.JPG
    bronzeoh.JPG
    147 KB · Views: 1,050
  • bronzemount.JPG
    bronzemount.JPG
    138 KB · Views: 1,077
  • bronzehammerbagde.JPG
    bronzehammerbagde.JPG
    94.9 KB · Views: 1,048
Last edited:
LUCKY YOU IS RIGHT!!!! CHA-CHINGGGGG!!!!!! What a beauty...you scored BIG time for a price like that...NO GIGGGIN WAY!!! Congrats on that!

Last edited:
Oh man!!! That's awesome. I love these stories. Looks like a handy little popcorn snare. I don't think there's anyway you could not enjoy that baby for $60!!!

I wonder what happened to the guy who got it repaired.

But $60 sure is a deal, and its a beautiful snare.

He shoots and scores!!!!! Man what a find. Two years is amazing.
Nice little side snare there.

You guys over there get the sickest deals all the time...Congrats!

...great score Ten.

Kind of makes me want to open a drum repair shop.

Barry

oh wow. great find.
the rare find deals are always the sweetest.
hopefully some of your luck will find its way to the rest of us haha

What an awsome find, that is one of the sexiest damn drums i have ever set eyes upon, BEAUTY!!!
Congrats man, enjoy!

Beatiful drum. Ive got one myself only in chrome hardware. Sounds great :)

A killer score. The more doors you knock on, the more doors might open. The store owner treated you "really right" there. He could have sold that drum for a lot more, and you'd have been none the wiser. So no doubt, he values you, as a customer.

1. That is just awesome! Great snare, insultingly low price.

2. You have strung togeather the 3 greatest metaphors that I have read this month.

"It pops like Carlton Fisk's knees, has more crack than Joe the Plumber, and more ring than Mr. T. It's a perfect side snare"

I don't think Modern Drummer has described a snare drum that way before.

Thanks to all for the nice words. I really lucked out on this deal. I'll update pics with the proper heads and setup with its brethren.

A killer score. The more doors you knock on, the more doors might open. The store owner treated you "really right" there. He could have sold that drum for a lot more, and you'd have been none the wiser. So no doubt, he values you, as a customer.

Good instincts Mr. Conway. I have built a rather good rapport with the staff there (for instance, I donated to them a lifesize Dr. Evil stand up that has motion activated movie quotes - a staff favorite). To the shop owner's credit, it was clear he wasn't looking to profit from the original drum owner's misfortunes; he was primarily interested in recouping his money he paid for parts and to the repairman for the work done two years ago.

And, as someone once said, "If opportunity doesn't knock, build a door."

1. That is just awesome! Great snare, insultingly low price.

2. You have strung togeather the 3 greatest metaphors that I have read this month.

"It pops like Carlton Fisk's knees, has more crack than Joe the Plumber, and more ring than Mr. T. It's a perfect side snare"

I don't think Modern Drummer has described a snare drum that way before.

Thanks for the acknowledgement. I took a little pride in those myself...:)

Refreshing the thread with some new pics. I'm still shaking my head at the "price." Best deal I've ever had by a mile.

Attachments

• IMG_0792.jpg
    IMG_0792.jpg
    108.5 KB · Views: 515
  • IMG_0793.jpg
    IMG_0793.jpg
    134.9 KB · Views: 545
  • IMG_0795.jpg
    IMG_0795.jpg
    87.7 KB · Views: 510
  • IMG_0807.jpg
    IMG_0807.jpg