Drum Kits Under a $1000?

Cujo666

Hey guys, newbie to the forum here...been a long time drummer, but out of the game for some time; long enough to realize that things in the world of skins have certainly changed.
I know this question has probably been asked a thousand times so just redirect me to the thread. When i started bangin on the skins a good set of drums was a few grand plus pies. I'm looking for a set under a grand w/out pies and know that there are probably some real standouts for the money for both skins and pies. Any help is greatly apreciated, thanks.

You might want to check all Craigslist ads within driving distance of where you are located. For a $1000 you can get a pro level kit (shells only) for sure. Sometimes, you can get really lucky and pick up hardware and cymbals with it... depending on how motivated the seller is. This economy creates a lot unfortunate situations.... unless, you are a drummer looking for a nice kit. The Tama Starclassic series is a great place to start.

Yea, i just don't wan't somebody elses headache; to many things to look over when checking out a used set...stripped lugs, slipping joints, ect.

What size kit are you interested in? How many pieces, bass drum diameter, finish type?

What size kit are you interested in? How many pieces, bass drum diameter, finish type?

what he said...

You can get surprisingly good kits for well under $1000, it just depends what you want. I had a gretsch catalina maple with an amber finish that I really loved. It sounded great right out of the box, but after touching up the bearing edges, sealing the inside, and getting the right heads on it, she sounds just as good or better than kits that cost twice as much, that is just my opinion though lol

Cujo, for $1000 or less, you can get a basic 10, 12, 14, 22 with a simple oiled finish or perhaps plastic wrap finish from a custom drum builder. For that $1000, you would get a kit that would take you anywhere you would ever want to go sonically.

You will be hard pressed to get such value from a major drum maker, though there are some good choices.

Cujo, for $1000 or less, you can get a basic 10, 12, 14, 22 with a simple oiled finish or perhaps plastic wrap finish from a custom drum builder. For that $1000, you would get a kit that would take you anywhere you would ever want to go sonically.

I was under the impression that custom-built drums are quite expensive. A thousand dollars for the kit you've described, I don't think that's possible.

I was under the impression that custom-built drums are quite expensive. A thousand dollars for the kit you've described, I don't think that's possible.

From a major builder like C&C or someone along those lines yes, but from smaller companies yes.

If you want a list of good small builders shoot me a pm and I will gladly get you in contact with some.

You can make them yourself too. If you just want a simple looking but awesome sounding 4 piece kit, you can get it done very well yourself for about 600 to 800 bucks. Wraps are easy to do, and staining/oiling a shell is only a little more difficult. High gloss finishes start getting a bit tricky, but can also be done inexpensively if you have the patience.

In doing so, you will learn a great deal about the instrument you love and you will have a great deal of fun doing it! drumshed.com will have all the knowledge you would ever need to know and everyone there is very friendly and helpful!

Good luck and peace to you!

The new Ludwig Keystone series looks like a winner Oak/Maple shells with some cool retro finishes.I believe the shell packs are considerably less than $1000.00

I really liked the Pearl VBX kit (all birch shell), and the Ludwig Element lacquer drums I played. Both can be had for less than $680. The Ludwigs are a 10/12/13/16/22 kit with snare. I've seen Sonor 3007's in a 5 piece shellpack for $650, all maple shells. (Dale's Drum shop). Tama Superstar Hyperdrives are around $700, all birch and die cast hoops. You have tons of choices, when you step up another $300-500, it really gets crazy....... Cymbals are truly a thing of personal choice. That was a task for me.

The new Ludwig Keystone series looks like a winner Oak/Maple shells with some cool retro finishes.I believe the shell packs are considerably less than $1000.00

I love the Keystone series but shell packs start at about $1400 if i'm not mistaken that's still a great price considering there made in North Carolina with American Maple & Red Oak plies, That's the next kit i'm getting for sure.

Just for the record my Ludwig EPIC "Downbeat" shell pack was $600 out the door & it's been the best $600 i've ever spent on a new kit. Totally Satisfied.

Keep Swattin'
Bonzolead

ddrum dios maple, 800 bucks great kit and uses keller maple, waay better than any of the mid range maple kits out there (pdp x7, gretsch cat maple)

Back