My first Meinl

Solaris

Silver Member
So I've officially joined the Meinl club.

Yesterday afternoon I took the plunge and purchased my first Meinl - a 20" Byzance Jazz Medium Thin Ride. My local music store had a huge discount on their Meinl range and this one just stuck out at me.

There is so much lovely dark, complex wash on this guy along with quite a pronounced bell. I'll be using this pretty much exclusively as a crash, and it works wonderfully in that role.

Apologies for the iPhone photos - I'll be introducing this to rest of my kit shortly and take some better photos then.

Attachments

• IMG_1147.JPG
    IMG_1147.JPG
    240.7 KB · Views: 650
  • IMG_1164.jpg
    IMG_1164.jpg
    206.5 KB · Views: 543
  • IMG_1165.JPG
    IMG_1165.JPG
    229.3 KB · Views: 553
  • IMG_1166.jpg
    IMG_1166.jpg
    251.1 KB · Views: 554
  • IMG_1167.JPG
    IMG_1167.JPG
    235.8 KB · Views: 547
  • IMG_1168.JPG
    IMG_1168.JPG
    168.7 KB · Views: 545
Congratulations and welcome to the dark side! We have cookies for you.
I might buy that one, too, but I don't know if it's too similar to my Extra Thin Hammered?

Congratulations and welcome to the dark side! We have cookies for you.
I might buy that one, too, but I don't know if it's too similar to my Extra Thin Hammered?

Thanks man! Have to say ogling your set was one of the things that convinced me to try out some Meinls (that and every Benny Greb video on Youtube). The Jazz med-thins are on average around 1900 grams, so they're a little heavier than the Thin Extra Hammereds. From the few sound clips I've heard comparatively the Jazz Med Thin has more body and a little less of a trashy character.

I'm actually thinking about getting an 18" Extra Hammered and a 18" Trad Heavy crash as a pair of hats down the line! But first will be investing in a 22" Sand Ride and finding a suitable partner for the Jazz Medium Thin, possibly a 20" Traditional Medium Crash or a Jazz Sweet/Sweet Light Ride.

Thanks man! Have to say ogling your set was one of the things that convinced me to try out some Meinls (that and every Benny Greb video on Youtube). The Jazz med-thins are on average around 1900 grams, so they're a little heavier than the Thin Extra Hammereds. From the few sound clips I've heard comparatively the Jazz Med Thin has more body and a little less of a trashy character.

I'm actually thinking about getting an 18" Extra Hammered and a 18" Trad Heavy crash as a pair of hats down the line! But first will be investing in a 22" Sand Ride and finding a suitable partner for the Jazz Medium Thin, possibly a 20" Traditional Medium Crash or a Jazz Sweet/Sweet Light Ride.

Nice to hear! I'm buying some new pies. Had a 20" Sand Ride and hate myself for getting rid of it. But I'll get the 22" or a 21" Dark Raw Bell. There's this deal with a Meinl Byzance-package (14", 18", 19", 21") My friend lets me choose whichever I want.

I plan to purchase the 14" Traditional Medium hats, 18" traditional medium or heavy crash (I'll match it with my 18" Extra Dry for shloshy hi-hats), 19" med-thin and a Raw Bell... or convince him to let me by a 13" Dark and a 22" Sand instead.

Hope that made any sense, lol.

So added the Meinl to my setup which freed up some crashes to make some 18" hats!

Specs:

18" HHX Evo crash over 18" Signature Saturation Crash (as hats)
19" AAX Xplosion Crash
22" AAX Omni
20" Byzance Jazz Medium Thin Ride
21" Vault Holy China

Attachments

• photo 5.JPG
    photo 5.JPG
    237.2 KB · Views: 381
  • photo 3.JPG
    photo 3.JPG
    262.2 KB · Views: 378
  • photo 4.JPG
    photo 4.JPG
    244.6 KB · Views: 375
  • photo 2 copy.JPG
    photo 2 copy.JPG
    223.4 KB · Views: 382
  • photo 1.JPG
    photo 1.JPG
    281.7 KB · Views: 387
  • photo 1 copy.JPG
    photo 1 copy.JPG
    267 KB · Views: 744
  • photo 2.JPG
    photo 2.JPG
    260.3 KB · Views: 378
So I've officially joined the Meinl club.

Yesterday afternoon I took the plunge and purchased my first Meinl - a 20" Byzance Jazz Medium Thin Ride. My local music store had a huge discount on their Meinl range and this one just stuck out at me.

There is so much lovely dark, complex wash on this guy along with quite a pronounced bell. I'll be using this pretty much exclusively as a crash, and it works wonderfully in that role.

Apologies for the iPhone photos - I'll be introducing this to rest of my kit shortly and take some better photos then.

Hey man,

I've had the same cymbal for about 2 months now and I'm using it as a crash also it's probably my favorite crash cymbal now!

Back