Quietest practice pad?

Phat_Rolls

Hey guys,

I love to practice on the pad while watching TV and even though my wife tolerates it really well, I know secretly it drives her nuts to hear "thump thump thump" for an hour or more while trying to watch the tube. I just have a basic Vater standard practice pad. Is there an extra quiet pad out there?

Hey guys,

I love to practice on the pad while watching TV and even though my wife tolerates it really well, I know secretly it drives her nuts to hear "thump thump thump" for an hour or more while trying to watch the tube. I just have a basic Vater standard practice pad. Is there an extra quiet pad out there?

Try taking an old drum and put a mesh head on it. The heads are inexpensive and extremely quiet. They are a bit springy - so there is a bit of trade off for feel. But is it is just while watching TV, it should be ok. Here's a link to the heads.

http://www.steveweissmusic.com/product/pearl-mesh-drum-heads/mesh-drum-heads

Jeff

Try taking an old drum and put a mesh head on it. The heads are inexpensive and extremely quiet. They are a bit springy - so there is a bit of trade off for feel. But is it is just while watching TV, it should be ok. Here's a link to the heads.

http://www.steveweissmusic.com/product/pearl-mesh-drum-heads/mesh-drum-heads

Jeff

I actually don't have any old drums sitting around, but a great tip anyhow. Guess I could look for a cheap single drum on CL or something...

Not really a pad but suggestion for quiet practice -- wire brushes on air

the wire brush gives the resistance needed and it also helps develop wrist control. Quietest it can ever get :)

I almost always practice rudiments with a HQ real feel pad with a towel folded three times over it. Makes it more like a snare to me and is also quieter. I can still play good rolls and drags on it so the towel isn't making it that much worse. Good compromise between a pad and a pillow IMO.

Take a computer mouse pad and place it on top of your practice pad. You still get a good bounce and it cuts the volume down.

Hey guys,

Moon Gel practice pad is the quietest as compared to reel feel or Tru-bounce
however, it's on the dead/pillow side meaning no rebounds..
try one out at your Sam Ash..not everyone likes them
I have been using my Pat Petrillo P4 practice pad which is a Multi-surface
pad & the "floor tom" section is pretty quiet..check that one out too!

Best

Don't use the Remo pads - very noisy.

My Evans pad is much quieter. My DW practice kit is just between. It's my favorite to play because I get very different tones based on where I hit the pad. There's a sweet spot that resonates on each pad on the DW practice kit, which is great for practicing accuracy, although much louder.

I almost always practice rudiments with a HQ real feel pad with a towel folded three times over it. Makes it more like a snare to me and is also quieter. I can still play good rolls and drags on it so the towel isn't making it that much worse. Good compromise between a pad and a pillow IMO.

Any particular towel you'd recommend? Something that is thin? Like one of those towels you'd use to wash a car? If you have a link to what you are talking about it would be appreciated. I use the Aquarian Tru-Bounce and it's loud enough to disturb. I've yet to communicate with anyone who's compared it to HQ or Pat Petrillo. All I hear are comments that those are quiet, but without saying if they compared it to Tru-Bounce.

Any particular towel you'd recommend? Something that is thin? Like one of those towels you'd use to wash a car? If you have a link to what you are talking about it would be appreciated. I use the Aquarian Tru-Bounce and it's loud enough to disturb. I've yet to communicate with anyone who's compared it to HQ or Pat Petrillo. All I hear are comments that those are quiet, but without saying if they compared it to Tru-Bounce.

I just use an ordinary run-of-the-mill hand towel.

HQ are quiet....but nothing that you hit with a stick is silent. The towel aids in keeping my wife and child alseep. :)

I just use an ordinary run-of-the-mill hand towel.

HQ are quiet....but nothing that you hit with a stick is silent. The towel aids in keeping my wife and child alseep. :)

Okay, thanks. That's pretty much what I had in mind.

Back