Tama's New Silverstar

Kick is 22in.
Went to Guitar Center in Connecticut last Sunday to see if they had any. The guy working there didn't think they would have them for another month or two. On Monday he called and told me they had just gotten a kit in. Picked it up on Tuesday.

Kick is 22in.
Went to Guitar Center in Connecticut last Sunday to see if they had any. The guy working there didn't think they would have them for another month or two. On Monday he called and told me they had just gotten a kit in. Picked it up on Tuesday.

Nice. Enjoy. ...................................

Those are really nice Peart. Can you desbribe the sound compared to any "Pro" level kits (with the stock heads I'm guessing) ?

I wish i could compare to a pro level kit, but don't have really any experience playing one. The kit I was playing before was a Maxwin set from the 80's, so compared to those, it sounds great.
The stock heads actually sound decent, but I plan on upgrading to pinstripes on the batter side, and ambassadors for the resonator side in the future.

Why Pinstripes ?? You like the muted sound more ??

Not that I like a muted sound, I have always played pinstipes, and found they give a nice deep tone, and provide a little muffling at the same time. I don't provide any other muffling on my drums. (i.e. moongel, o-rings, etc.)

I'm always open to alternative suggestions with birch shell.

I'm always open to alternative suggestions with birch shell.

I guess it depends on what you favor.. but I like a drum to be absolutely wide open and loud with as much ring as possible. I have not found a better head than the Remo Renaissance ambassador on toms and the Renaissance Powerstroke 3 on kick.

Toms are 8x10 and 9x12. Floor tom is 16x14.

They look great! They are essentially accel-driver depth Superstars with triple flanged hoops instead of die cast, and slightly different tom mounts. Given how great Superstars, I'm sure they're awesome.

Just curious which GC in CT did you get them from? I've only ever been to the one in Orange. The drum dept there has good guys working in it.

Right now on my birch toms I'm using Aquarian Modern Vintage (which I absolutely love) but I've had good luck with Evans EC2 (when I've needed more control) and Evans Strata 1000 (similar to the Remo Renaissance) as well.

Bass drum is Evans EQ2 batter and EQ1 reso.

Thanks for the head suggestions guys. I'll look into these other heads. I'm probably going to keep the stock heads for a few months. They actually sound pretty good.

Thanks for the head suggestions guys. I'll look into these other heads. I'm probably going to keep the stock heads for a few months. They actually sound pretty good.

That's really what matters. I'm guessing the stock heads are a clear 1-ply G1 type head, correct? Those usually give a clear open tone that's really nice too, so I can't blame you for not being in a hurry to change them out.

Picked up a set of these earlier this week. So far I'm very pleased with the sound, looks, and craftsmanship. Here are some pics I took. Hope they show up.

Sweet kit. i am thinking of a set formyself. these look like great kits for gigging. i would leave my bubes at home.

Back