Best batter heads for Yamaha Stage Custom?

feener52

Hey everyone,

I am getting ready to change all the heads on my kit and was wondering what the best choice would be for a sound similar to the drums in Queens of the Stone Age and Them Crooked Vultures? I was thinking maybe something coated but I'm not sure what kind.

Thanks guys,

- Zach.

Dave Grohl uses coated Emperors with Ambassador resos on his toms; a coated Ambassador X on his snare, and a Powerstroke 3 or 4 on his bass batter on the TCV record. So I would start off with those heads and see how you like the sound.

i like the coated G2's tuned low, sounds muddy tuned at all high, i actually have clear G1's with the evans erings now and really like the sound, a fat wet sound, tried ec2's and pinstripes but didnt care for them...

Birch shells sound very good Live with 2 ply heads , so you may want to look into a coated 2 ply head. My personal preference is the Aquarian response 2 coated heads- these will give you lot's of warmth and fatness with just the right amount of sustain. The Aquarian Super 2 heads are very mice as well and use a 5 mil and 7 mil ply and they are bit more resonant than the Response 2 heads.

The Evans G2s would be a good choice if you are an Evans player - I like them a lot , but they are not as warm as the Aquarian and sound a bit sharper in tone and thinner to my ear at least.

Remo Emperors are a classic sound , but their coating has a tendancy to chip off much quicker than Aquarian and Evans does.

Back