Yamaha original Maple Custom kit - Is it worth it??

toubet

Hi all! This is my first post but I've been a fan of drummerworld and seeking advice from its forums for a long time! So thank you all first of all.

A month ago, I lost my drumkit in a fire that started in a jam space I rent in Montreal. (I was playing a Canwood kit, I'm sure you heard of the Canadian brand.)

After some research, and a budget of no more than $2000, I've set my eyes on a really nice Yamaha Original Maple Custom!

Can you please give me your opinion? Is it worth buying it? The person is letting is go for $1750. Keep in mind I will be driving 5 hours away to pick it up (10 hour round trip) if it's a good/great deal!

Here is the description:

Yamaha original Maple Custom kit – Natural with brass lugs
- Tom 1 – 8 * 8
- Tom 2 – 10 * 8
- Tom 3 – 12 * 8
- Tom 4 – 14 * 10 Floor Tom
- Bass Drum – 22 * 14
- Tom 5 – Keller Shell 16 * 12 Floor Tom (Custom made to match original kit)
- All Maple Shells
- Gorgeous Natural Lacquer - MINT
- Includes double floor tom stand, bass drum tom holder and 4 tom-clamps

Thank you guys & girls!

Attachments

• $_20.JPG
    $_20.JPG
    85.5 KB · Views: 6,844
  • $_20-1.JPG
    $_20-1.JPG
    78.3 KB · Views: 3,589
Beautiful looking kit I would love to own myself. If it's in your budget and will make you happy and you don't mind the 10 hours I say go for it.

I bought six, yes six kits off ebay without seeing them in person first and I have always been happy with my decision.

Best of luck whatever you decide.

Hi and thanks for the reply! I'm excited about this! I think I'll try and pick it up asap.

One more thing. I was also checking out this other Yamaha Maple Custom that seems really interesting as well.. I also would like to ad this to the thread, as a comparison to the first one (natural finish)..

Which one would you go for? This one is $1450 and includes a snare (Black Panther).

Same deal for the driving (it's even further... 14 hours drive round trip)

Thank you for your interest :)

Attachments

• bat1.JPG
    bat1.JPG
    44.2 KB · Views: 3,431
  • bat2.JPG
    bat2.JPG
    83.5 KB · Views: 3,472
  • bat3.JPG
    bat3.JPG
    75.3 KB · Views: 3,443
  • bat4.JPG
    bat4.JPG
    73.1 KB · Views: 3,453
  • bat5.JPG
    bat5.JPG
    81.2 KB · Views: 3,427
  • bat6.JPG
    bat6.JPG
    69.7 KB · Views: 3,484
Beautiful kit !

80% of the sound from a drum kit comes from the heads you use, the tuning of those heads and how you play the kit.

If this kit has the size drums you want and the configuration you like, Buy it !

The only thing I don't like about it is the double floor tom stand. I just can't imagine that it would be stable enough for me to pound out my rock and roll on those toms. I would mount them on their own legs.

I love the sound of maple and the looks of this kit is wonderful ! I say buy it !

Touché! You're right about the double floor toms stand. I will indeed have to change that!

About the other black finish kit, here are the specs:

"Professionally owned and played, Yamaha Maple Custom in black laquer with gold lugs (the real ones). 22 kick, 10 and 12 toms, 15 floor tom. A few small scratches etc but in very good shape. Comes with tom mount hardware only. Pre YESS tom mount system. One year old Mapex Black Panther snare drum included (with case).
14 x 5 also in black laquer with black chrome hardware. A totally pro outfit which has been in my home studio and has not seen 'the road', so not much wear at all. $1450"

I really like the 8 and 16" toms...but I also really like the black. If only you could have both, right?

And the two toms on a stand don't look like a problem.

If only you could have both, right?

And the two toms on a stand don't look like a problem.

I know... Ah! Choice which is luxury is torture in this case! XD

I have a beech custom with 14 and 16 hanging on a stand and it isn't a problem. Only issue with it for me is more stuff to carry around. I much prefer floor toms with 3 legs.

... (I was playing a Canwood kit, I'm sure you heard of the Canadian brand.)...

What were your Canwood drums like? Number of pieces, sizes, and so on.
No - I hadn't heard of them, so I went to the site.
No prices listed, and I don't see them for sale at any of the usual places.
Are they expensive?

Is it for positive sure between those two Yamaha kits?
Which one are you going to get?

FWIW, I'd pick the natural wood set. It's a happier looking set.

Go for the natural wood ones. Then when you get tired of them you can sell them to me.

Besides, there are too many black drum sets in the world.

What were your Canwood drums like? Number of pieces, sizes, and so on.
No - I hadn't heard of them, so I went to the site.
No prices listed, and I don't see them for sale at any of the usual places.
Are they expensive?

Canwood are pretty rare indeed. I read up on them in drummerworld actually. They're handmade shells in Canada. All maple! They're pretty expensive. You'd have to check Ebay or Canwood's site.

I had a 3 piece: 22" kick, 12" tom and 15" floor tom (a weird size!)... They were. I bought them used. They had been painted by hand (in a amateursih / childish way) that made them look pretty psychedelic!

Anyway, I play in psych prog rock band.. That's why I'm happy to go back to A LOT of toms :)

Is it for positive sure between those two Yamaha kits?
Which one are you going to get?

To tell you the truth at first I liked the new Tama Silverstar... but then I thought, "with such a budget, why not go a little bit further and get the top of the line you know? Something classy that really sounds good.. a classic"..

At first I kind of wished to find amazing Ludwig Maple Classics.. But I didn't find any, and I also always really like Yamaha's.. (Steve Gadd!) :)

FWIW, I'd pick the natural wood set. It's a happier looking set.

I'm starting to think that Larry :)

Do the golden logs bother you by the way?... :O

Go for the natural wood ones. Then when you get tired of them you can sell them to me.

Besides, there are too many black drum sets in the world.

haha! You got it... True, quite a lot of black kits. Though you can really see the wood even if it's black in this one!

Toubet, welcome to the forum. Both of those Yammies are nice kits, but I'm another vote for the first kit in natural finish. Btw, I know you were asking Larry, but I'll jump in - no, the gold lugs don't bother me.

Last edited:
I'd go with the natural finish myself. Awesome looking kit and for me I like the sizes better, not sure about a 15" floor tom that the black one has.

Back