Funny/weird things that happened when drumming?

Guz2

Dunno if this belong here but oh well...

Anyway, have any really weird or funny things happened to you when you were drumming? I ask because just now I dropped a stick and it bounced awquardly, flew through the air and impaled itself in the canvas of a painting propped up against the wall. Whoops! What about you?

i have a sign in my basement that says bourbon street and i was playing the new orleans groove from tommy igoes play along and it fell off the wall it was really quite odd

Playing a gig once on a stage about 3 feet high. Little did i know that as i was playing, my throne was slowly moving backwards and i fell off the stage mid-song!

Ever played Zydeco music? Filled in for a drummer one night at the last minute when he got sick. Never played with this band nor the music before but they were in a bad spot with a benefit gala within the hour. I got set up in time to do a sound check and then we were off. The words were in French which didn't help my timing at all. Zydeco is a mix of waltz, country, rock, two-step, etc. all in one song with time changes coming at the oddest times. By the end of the night (3 hours of playing music I had never heard) I had added a whole new twist to Zydeco. They thought I was adding a new perspective to the music by playing a back beat on 1 & 3 but it was because I never heard the time change (twice), playing straight through on what I thought was 2 & 4. Goes to show if you play like you know what you're doing you can get away with a lot (hahaha).

While the band was messing around, I chucked a stick at our bassists' head, and it lodged itself in the insulation behind him providing us with a good laugh.

I've got a computer for recording sitting on a table right next to my drums, wasn't using it, so it was in sleep mode. Played for about twenty minutes or so, then suddenly the computer woke up when I started playing the floor tom. Took me a few seconds and a few more hits on the floor tom to realize how much bass that floor tom is giving off.

My band's gig today was hilarious. We started with Great Balls of Fire by Jerry Lee Lewis and the keyboard player and I were looking at eachother doing stupid things. And one time he leaned back in his stool super far, then I tried but mine fell and I fell on my knees. I couldn't get up or I'd screw up the whole beat so I played the pedals with my knees. Very painful after awhile.

Another time I was practicing to Good Times and Bad Times, and during the chorus when JB rides on the crash, I thought I was too but I was just swing the stick in the air... peculiar

One time while I was practicing, I broke a stick and the tip hit one of my rack tome, bounced back, and hit me in the head.

Last night at band practice, while warming up, we rocked the glass cover off an overhead light fixture in my basement. It fell a few feet to my right, hit the corner of an amp and exploded into pieces. Sounds bad, but I hate those light fixtures anyway and it was quite hilarious. We laughed at each other and went right back to playing.

Me and a few buds were jamming in my attic, and I decide to branch off for a second to mess around on my ride. Before I knew it, a solid two inches comes flying off my Vic Firth 5B Nylon and just about hits my bass player [best friend] in the face.
Quite funny, and we just kept on going after I picked up one of my Pro-Marks.

A couple months ago, when I was in a band, I was having band practice and playing on the guitarist's drum set. It's a piece of crap one that his dad gave him from the 70's. Mid-song, the bass beat FLIES off of the pedal, and so we had to duct tape it back on.

My band is known for being very very very VERY loud, so we were playing at a bar (not small, fairly large for a bar/restaraunt). So we start playing and the entire place literally starts to rumble. Some of the glasses & bottles began to move. The place looked like an earth quake had struck between the fact that it was a mess with the crowd and everything else.

We aren't allowed at that bar anymore.

We were setting up for a gig at a crazy biker bar. Our singer was trying to fix a broken cord so he was using a pocket knife to strip the wires. It was only about eight in the evening. A drunken patron from the bar was talking and joking with our singer about collage sports as he was working on the cord. Our singer made a joke that offended the drunken man. The drunk grabbed our singer by his hands causing him to get a small cut from the knife. As he shook our singers hand blood began to splatter about. Our singer exclaimed "You cut my finger man" The drunk stopped and said, "I"m sorry, Let me suck it for you." The drunk put our singers wounded finger in his mouth and he sucked it!!!!!!!! We didn't know what to say or do! We were all in shock! None of us had ever seen anything like it! At that moment, the drunks girlfriend approached and persuaded the drunk to leave the bar with her. You can't make this up!!

Playing a gig once on a stage about 3 feet high. Little did i know that as i was playing, my throne was slowly moving backwards and i fell off the stage mid-song!
That's a bit like what happened to me at my school talent show but not as bad,
Mid song the bass drum was moving forward with my every hit and it eventualy fell of the front of the stage (I was the only one raised at the back) And all of my freinds were laughing because then it was me left with a hi hat and a snare lol

Theres a light fixture above my set, and at the end of pullstring theres a big nut. Once When I was winding up t hit a cymbal, my stick went through the nut and hung there, while I followed through with my hand. I was quite surprised.

My band is known for being very very very VERY loud, so we were playing at a bar (not small, fairly large for a bar/restaraunt). So we start playing and the entire place literally starts to rumble. Some of the glasses & bottles began to move. The place looked like an earth quake had struck between the fact that it was a mess with the crowd and everything else.

We aren't allowed at that bar anymore.

NO! I thought you were a jazz band, not thrashing it up like wavelength or something :p

I remember once i whacked my mate's hand with a stick when he was trying to choke my cymbal because he was talking to my other friend. The other thing is once i was thrashing out to some foo fighters song or something when BANG! Huge flash, lights out for a couple of seconds and when i got my sight back i realised that i had a drumstick in my eye :p nah but the thing hit me bang on in the eye. My dad came rushing upstairs thinking i'd seriously hurt myself or something. It did hurt a bit and it looked like i had conjunctivitis for a few days but it was okay really, luckily i was only using 7as at the time :)

i had a spotlight fall on me.

At first I thought you meant like...the light shined on you. But then I got what you were sayin.

But I would be jaming with some other musicians/teachers at my drum lesson, and would drop the stick then just play with one hand for as long as I could until some one handed me the stick. After the song everyone would just laugh. Sometimes they wouldn't even notice that I dropped the stick until I wave my free hand frantically. But I have done that more than once, and maybe it is a common thing for some of y'all too. I think it is funny though...

Hi
The funniest thing that happen to me about 25 years ago. Playing a gig the spring on my base drum pedal broke during our 2nd set!!!!!!!
At a lost our sound man was a full time auto mechanic...he and I walked out to my car and removed the spring from the carburator and installed it on my base drum pedal.
I could only play quiet quarter notes but it got me thru the night.
As a result of this I always have an extra bass pedal packed with my gear. Denis

Back