Asked to sample my drums...

Garvin

Pioneer Member
I got a really cool call on Saturday. A guy who runs a recording studio was at one of my shows and called me out of the blue to ask if I could bring my kit over to his studio so he could sample my drums.

He said I had one of the best sounding live kits he's heard. I took great pride in that since I know he's seen me at other shows (with other kits) and never felt the need to do this. We worked out a deal for some free recording time and I will hopefully get this done in the next couple weeks.

This is for my Yamaha Oak Custom kit, which I have finally got tuned perfectly and will shamelessly proclaim is indeed one of the finest souding live kits I've played.

Good for you man. You "touched" someone with your playing and sound. That must feel great!

Yeah, it was a good feeling because I obsess so much on my sound, but no one usually cares. It is one of those small victories.

I once had a studio tech. say something along he lines of 'now thats how toms are supposed to sound'. which was very encouraging to me, because I've never been able to get my toms to sound how I want them... (of course after listening to them from a few feet out, they sounded exactly how I wanted them to)

So I kind of know the feeling, although not to that extent, congrats!!

When he's done sampling them, I'd love to hear a few of the samples!

-Jonathan

Back