Coming up with beats.

Besides gaining inspiration from just listening to any piece of music you can, playing along with other musicians does the job. But, from a drum standpoint alone, try throwing in ghost notes in odd places you wouldn't normally place them. Have you ever thought about what makes Keith Carlock and Steve Jordan's playing so spicy? GHOST NOTES. Putting them where others do not. Play a straight forward, Nashville beat with little to no emotion. Then play that SAME beat, but add ONE ghost note wherever you want. Play it again and add TWO ghost notes. Play it again and add THREE ghost notes. You get the idea. Use this and branch off in any direction you want. Don't force anything, though. If it feels awkward, most scientists would confirm that, yes, it is awkward. Just relax and play what comes natural. Also, for great grooves, break away from the normal "snare on 2 and 4" idea. Put the beat wherever you want. IT IS YOUR DRUMMING, MAKE IT YOUR OWN. I DON'T KNOW WHY I AM USING A LOT OF UPPER CASED LETTERS, I DIDN'T INTEND ON DOING SO. Lol. It is just difficult to express what groove means without actually explaining it in person and on the kit. Do your own thing, though.

Wow! Gone for half a week and got 20 answers, just amazing! :)

Thank you for all answers! Now that I think about it, the things my guitar-mate plays are pretty much the same. Next session I will ask him to play something else and see if my mind answers to it corecctly. :)
I've also looked up some bassdrum independence excercises to keep me busy for a while. :)

Like some guys said here, accept what comes out naturally and build on it. Also really listen to what your guitarist is playing, picture a groove in your mind an try to play it out, it's ok... You're jamming anyways aren't you?? ... So you got the time to try stuff. Also one more thing to help push out creativity, work on syncopation exercises.. At slow tempos too, build your feet and hands together then work on them to play independentally. I hope I made sense lol. Good luck!!

Joey.

Back