Favorite metal drummer?

Last edited:
Re: tell me who is the best metal drummer!

I don't know about metal drummers, but all my drums are wooden, so I'm a pretty good wood drummer.

Well there are so many good ones here is a list of the ones i like... Jaska Ratikaanen of Children of Bodom, the drummer from DEATH, Scott Travis of Judas Priest, and Mike Terrana... But i'd have to say that Jaska is still my favorite METAL drummer of all time just because of the fact that BODOM KICKS ASS!!! and he is fast... I like fast...

If you really like fast, and you really like HEAVY, you should check out Virgil Donati. Watch him with Vai, if you don't dig the big progressive stuff. I love him with Planet X. If you're a big fan of death metal, he can do the blast-beats, and the fast feet.

One of the best things he does, is the 2-hat shuffle, using his left foot to ride, and his right hand to accent. It's really phenomenal to watch someone that powerful, but still able to create a tight pocket.

If you like really artsy, progressive drumming, check out Thomas Lange, Terry Bozzio, Chad Wackerman, etc.

DW has released a couple of 'drum-duets' with Bozzio and Wackerman, and it's really fun to watch 2 phenomenal drummers duet with monster kits.

drummer of gorguts is really good

as tho they dont play metal per say id give honerable mention to

the drummer of the locust and dillinger escape plan too

George kollias (nile)
Pete Sandoval (morbid angel)
hellhammer (mayhem)

there are some of the best easyly

Best metal drummers?

In your opinion who are the best metal drummers. in my opinion i think the two best at the moment are brann dailor and vinnie paul. I wanna know who u think hwo are the best metal drummers.

Re: Best metal drummers?

I think there is already a thread for this, but I'm not sure where.

If not...
Jason Bittner
Chad Kent (not really metal, but could)
Chimaira's drummers (old/new, and their guy for their self titled)
The Reverand
System of a Downs (cant remember names)
Mudvaynes
As I Lay Dyings
ILL Nino's (very reserved on the double bass)
Danney Carrey althoug not really metal
Portnoy
Morgan Rose (sevendust)
...etc.....

kl n soads drummer is john dolmayan i think thats how u spell it

Dave Lombardo is still my no. 1 for metal, even though he may not be the fastest or most technical guy around. He's got a certain sound, you can tell it's him just from hearing a fill. Same for the guy from Meshuggah, I've never heard anyone else play like that.

For "musicality" I like Danny Carey and Brann Dailor.

For technicality I like Chris Pennie, Tomas Haake* and the drummer from Ion Dissonance.

I don't really listen to any death metal, but the only drummer I like who uses many blast beats is Blake Richardson (BTBAM) the crazy nature of their music keeps it interesting.

My current favorite metal drummer is Vinny Vinh (Reflux) I think his playing shows an amazing combination of both musicality and technical skill. Check him out.

* Initially I didn't think I liked Haake's drumming, however I later realised that the Meshuggah CD I had impulse-bought was Catch-33 and had programmed drums. Having now listened to other Meshuggah albums, I think he's a genius.

Hannes Grossmann - Necrophagist
Tomas Haake - Meshuggah
John (I don't know his last name, actually...) - Cephalic Carnage

Those are a few of my personal favorites.

ermmm in my opinion:

1.BRANN DAILOR (Mastodon)
2.Vinnie paul
3.dave lombado (god knows how you spell it)
4.john dolmayan
5.lars ulrich (only cus i like the band sooo much but i dont think much of his drumming)

and may i add

6. mickey dee (motorhead)

i would say dave mackintosh of dragonforce is up there with the best.

he's easily the metal drummer i admire the most

Back