Does 'groove' have a speed limit?

opentune

Platinum Member
Plenty of drummers talk about 'groove' (or being in the 'pocket').
But does groove have a speed limit? In other words, are there songs that are too fast to get or have 'groove'?
As an example I'm thinking of the Ramones Rockaway Beach vs. Zeppelins When the Levee Breaks. One is a thrash, the other way down "in the pocket".One could use many other examples.
What think you?

I think once you get past a certain tempo, you're swinging. That's probably wrong.

Groove does imply a certain tempo range to me.

I didn't think the JoJo clip grooved G man. Too choppy, rhythm-wise. JMO.

I think once you get past a certain tempo, you're swinging. That's probably wrong.

swing grooves though....or does groove swing?.....or does the drummer groove to swing the band?.......or maybe the groove makes a pocket for the band to swing in ?.......or maybe a swinging bands groove forms a pocket......maybe a burning bands groove swings so hard that it tears open the pocket ...cash flies everywhere ...and all of the sudden the gig is now a childrens pinata party

thanks a lot for ruining the gig burning pocket swinging groove

The speed limit in this universe, as best we understand it today, is the speed of light. Under that, all manner of rhythms exist, many of which groove right along.

So that's my answer. Once you pass 299,792,458 m / s, you stop grooving.

No, no speed limit, the speed doesn't kill the groove...the drummer does.

Speed is relative, you'll have to be able to think fast, speak fast, feel fast, act fast, react fast, hear fast, if you can't do this, you can't groove while playing fast tempos pieces. It's more than just a speed related issue.

In the links provided so far, including mine, these drummers are capable of doing just that, grooving at fast tempo, it's a hard skill to master.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ij7yR0LubxY

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eWRU3Sxt9tY&list=FLeZPnPqMHxVdigM8gkNRpiQ&index=50&feature=plpp_video

Groove is the sense of propulsive rhythmic "feel" or sense of "swing" created by the interaction of the music played by a band's rhythm section (drums, electric bass or double bass, guitar, and keyboards). Groove is a consideration in genres such as salsa, funk, rock, fusion, and soul. The word is often used to describe the aspect of certain music that makes one want to move, dance, or "groove".

Groove #1: "bass drum on beats 1 and 3 and snare drum on beats 2 and 4 of the measure...add eighth notes on the hi-hat".[1] Play (help·info)
Musicologists and other scholars began to analyze the concept of "groove" in the 1990s. They have argued that a "groove" is an "understanding of rhythmic patterning" or "feel" and "an intuitive sense" of "a cycle in motion" that emerges from "carefully aligned concurrent rhythmic patterns" that sets in motion dancing or foot-tapping on the part of listeners.

The Oxford English Dictionary defines the verb "groove" as

"To play jazz or similar music with ‘swing’; to be ‘in the groove’ [. . .] to dance or listen to such music with great pleasure; hence, to make good progress or co-operate; to get on well with someone; to make love. Also trans., to play (music) swingingly; to give pleasure to (a person). slang (orig. U.S.)."

citing the earliest known example from "1935 Vanity Fair Nov. 38/1 That's the third date we've grooved half a dozen schmaltzy tunes."

It also lists "in the (or a) groove [. . .] = groovy adj. Hence groove is used to mean: a style of playing jazz or similar music, esp. one that is ‘swinging’ or good; a time when jazz is played well; more widely, one's predilection or favourite style, = bag n.; something excellent or very satisfying. slang (orig. U.S.)."

citing "1933 Fortune Aug. 90/2 The jazz musicians gave no grandstand performances; they simply got a great burn from playing in the groove."

I think those are pretty acceptable definitions: if music is something that is essentially performed to get your motor running then I guess it depends how fast you want to go.

Yes, if it's too fast to make whoopie to, then it ain't groovin'. hahaha.

Seriously, I don't know....if it feels groovy, then groovy it is.

I'm gonna go get my groove on right now.

Here's something I didn't learn until I played with more drummers on bass instead of playing gigs on drums --

Too many drummers lay behind the beat, in the attempt of making the groove deeper. It doesn't work. It just drags.

Have a listen to Jojo Mayer...his drum and bass grooves can be fast and are usually deep.

Yes, if it's too fast to make whoopie to, then it ain't groovin'. hahaha.

Seriously, I don't know....if it feels groovy, then groovy it is.

I'm gonna go get my groove on right now.

Ah, the true reason for the thread has emerged - to bring back the word "groovy". I love that word, and I'm gonna use it tomorrow.

Back