I need recommendations for a cheap set.

loganonymous

A friend of mine left his kit out in my shop for quite a while, and I've grown to really love playing the drums. Problem is, now he's taken them back and I don't have anything to play. I don't need anything super extensive, just a basic 5-piece set with cymbals. I really know absolutely nothing about what goes into a good shell or anything, I've just gotten pretty good at playing (relatively), so I figured that you guys could help me out and get me started right.

I usually played with a sort of rock feel, some pop thrown in there every now and then. I'd really like to get into dissecting some of Ringo's old rhythms and playing around with them a bit (hopefully Ringo isn't a dirty word around these parts, if it is I apologize).

Thanks in advance. :)

A friend of mine left his kit out in my shop for quite a while, and I've grown to really love playing the drums. Problem is, now he's taken them back and I don't have anything to play. I don't need anything super extensive, just a basic 5-piece set with cymbals. I really know absolutely nothing about what goes into a good shell or anything, I've just gotten pretty good at playing (relatively), so I figured that you guys could help me out and get me started right.

I usually played with a sort of rock feel, some pop thrown in there every now and then. I'd really like to get into dissecting some of Ringo's old rhythms and playing around with them a bit (hopefully Ringo isn't a dirty word around these parts, if it is I apologize).

Thanks in advance. :)

Tons to choose from.

Gretsch Catalina Maple is good, so is Premier cabria, both really inexpensive. I'd also recommend looking for used stuff. Always try before you buy.

Great suggestions from OAO. Try to check local craigslist too, you would be surprised what people get rid of just cause they don't have room for it any longer. Buy used for sure, you will get more drum for your money. If you find some kits you are interested in, post what you found with details and we will help you make an informed decision if you wish. Good luck hunting that kit down, it must be a huge bummer not being able to play.

Look for a used kit with cymbals and hardware
Good brands are
Tama
Sonor
Mapex
Pearl
Gretsch
Ludwig
Yamaha

I would say that you should be able to get a good used complete kit for about $600

Check into the Yamaha Rydeen set. Picked up a used set for $300 locally, included a couple of cheap Sabians which I replaced. Good enough to get you started. Despite what you might hear, the Rydeens are surprisingly good for a cheaper set.

Sonor Safari - plus Wuhan New Trad cymbals. Might be the least expensive yet legit option currently on the market.

Sonor Safari and Gretsch Catalinas seem to be winners around here.

Also, Ringo is one of the most beloved drummers around! :)

Ludwig accent are a good choice for a starter set as well as Tama Stagestar,Pearl Exports.All of which can be had cheaply.

You didn't state what you had in mind buget wise,which would be more helpful in steering you in the right direction.Buying used is always the best way to go as it saves money,especially when first learning to play..

Steve B

I'm an eighteen-year-old college student, so my budget is practically none, haha. I'm planning on saving little by little until I have enough to get a set.

I also think that you can easily do better than the Accent's.
There are many other kits that are much better than that.
I own a Tama Stagestar and that is a good choice over the Accent's

If you tell us what city that you live in or near we can search the local listings and find you a good deal.

I also think that you can easily do better than the Accent's.
There are many other kits that are much better than that.
I own a Tama Stagestar and that is a good choice over the Accent's

even as a massive fun of Ludwig I fully agree.

I wanted my first set to be an accent, but ended up going with a Yamaha Stage custom Advantage. Definately a better option.

I'm not hating hating on Ludwig though, in fact, I now own a vintage set and it sounds amazing.

I'm in Jacksonville, TX, which usually just gets lumped in with the rest of the "east Texas" area. I've seen some pretty nice sets on craigslist, but east Texas is a pretty broad scape, so they always end up being like, two hours away.

The forces of Drummerworld will respond and you will soon find a kit.

I just took a quick peak and I found many kits in your area.
The Longview area looks to be the most promising
I also found many in Tyler.
Tyler appears to be about 30 miles away.
The Dallas/ Fort Worth area is not that far either.

Last edited:
I just took a quick peak and I found many kits in your area.
The Longview area looks to be the most promising
I also found many in Tyler.
Tyler appears to be about 25 miles away.

Fifteen minutes if you speed. :p Yeah, I actually work in Tyler. Are you looking on craigslist, or what?

I was patient and finally found my Gretsch catalina jazz ( silver sparkle ) on craigslist for $ 350. with some hardware included, it was exactly what I wanted, I really love it, and I'm glad I didn't freak out and buy something on impulse....which i often do. I have slowly pieced together some decent cymbals ( symbols in craigslist speak ) I took the advice of alot of people on this board and waited to get some better used cymbals, than cheaper new ones. I just played hihats bass and snare for 2 months until I got some cymbals. have fun, and get something you really like, as time passes you'll be glad.

Back