Tom Mounts on George Way Kit?

KlarkKent

Can anyone tell what kind of tom mounts Bernard Purdie is using on his George Way kit in this video? It is from the Regina Drum Festival 2014 (footage uploaded by Ronn Dunnett):

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i1XiaMiMzvg

It almost looks like a GMS/Tama Star kind of mount--a downward arm cradling the bottom rim of the toms, and two contact points up top either on the rim or around the lugs?

I've heard that RIMS will not work at all with the center lug design of the Way kits, but something is obviously working here.

1383718_10152449840532483_3434415382940779370_n.jpg

That's a beautiful kit...hideous suspension mounts though...the Ludwig Atlas mount has ruined me, I just cant stand those monstrous (HELLOOOOOOO Pearl) mounts at all.

Thanks for the clarification, guys, and double thanks for the photo, Art.

It looks like the Gibraltar two-lug RIMS mount:

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2014-10-27 at 8.44.34 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2014-10-27 at 8.44.34 PM.png
    42.1 KB · Views: 275
Update: I've heard that those Gibraltar mounts pictured on the Way kit and being used by Purdie in the video (both in this thread) are actually not that great--that they tend to choke the resonance of the toms.

If single lug drums like the Way kit cannot use traditional Gauger RIMS mounts, then would a better option be to put a set of Tama Starclassic die-cast hoops/mount on the toms? I know the die-cast hoop would add some weight and affect resonance slightly, but the SC mounts do a good job in general and they do not rely on lugs to balance themselves like RIMS.

Thoughts? Good idea or no?

Back