For you Sonor Safari or Bop Guys.....

Bo Eder

Platinum Member
Yes, I know. I used to be one. But I wanted to pose a theoretical question, because I didn't get a chance to test this theory when I had mine, and obviously nothing to compare to anyhow.

That 16" bass drum is probably the best I've ever heard with the stock head. Do you Safari owners out there think this is due to the drums quality or more due to the lift they give you so the beater hits dead center? I was interested in trying this with an 18" bass drum too because in the past when I've had an 18", I just put the pedal on it, and of course the beater hits way off center. I just got used to that sound. And of course, Peter Erskine's 18" bass drum sound on Jaco's live album, Invitation, has got to be the punchiest sound I've ever heard.

Do you think the 18" with a lift would sound even better than the 16" with a lift? Has anyone tried both? I'm interested in hearing your thoughts on this theory....

I can't speak to the issue regarding the Sonor drum.

I did buy an SP Junior Kit at a garage sale for $25 about a year ago. Originally I got it so I could make a cool looking coffee table out of the bass drum with a round piece of tempered glass that I have. I then realized that the bass drum hoops would allow me to convert my 16 inch floor tom on my maple kit to a bass drum so I could try it if I wanted to.

My Gretsch 18" bass drum sounds great and when I first got it, I did experiement with the sound with and without the bass drum riser. It definitely sounds better to me with the beater hitting close to the center of the drum. It sounds much fuller than when the beater is in the off center position. I think the fact that the drum is smaller makes the beater strike position more important than on larger bass drums.

On my 16" floor tom, I never tried it without the riser because I didn't want to cut down a beater shaft to work without the riser. The shaft would just touch the bass drum head without the riser so I didn't bother trying it but my guess is that the beater position is more important the smaller you get with the drum.

I think the 18 sounds better but I should also add that I didn't use a proper bass drum head on the sixteen. The hoops held the floor tom head (Remo Coated Emperor) pretty well but I haven't looked into other 16" BD head choices.

I'd like to try a Evans Emad on the 16 but I don't know if they make one.

I think that the moon and stars all lined up and Sonor wound up with good drum.
I know this, It's not broke so Im not gonna fix it or over think it.
Sometimes things just turn out right and we should leave it at that.
I haven't even changed the heads on mine.

What I don't understand Bo is why you sold your Safari.
You liked the kit?
OK, you have your Tama.
I have several kits that I like too.
I keep what I like and I use it when I want to.
Just curious.

I did buy an SP Junior Kit at a garage sale for $25 about a year ago. Originally I got it so I could make a cool looking coffee table out of the bass drum with a round piece of tempered glass that I have.

I'm sure your girlfriend/wife/lover will melt when she sees that. I mean that opposite lol.

I think that the moon and stars all lined up and Sonor wound up with good drum.
I know this, It's not broke so Im not gonna fix it or over think it.
Sometimes things just turn out right and we should leave it at that.
I haven't even changed the heads on mine.

What I don't understand Bo is why you sold your Safari.
You liked the kit?
OK, you have your Tama.
I have several kits that I like too.
I keep what I like and I use it when I want to.
Just curious.

I loved the Safari, I really did. But it was relegated to a practice kit that I wouldn't take on a gig. However, I've been missing having a drum kit permanently set-up with mesh heads that I could play at any time during the day or evening. So call me stupid, but I may do it again, but I'm considering the Bop kit with the larger bass drum. I've also told my job that I want a set two days off for a while so I can actually go out and do non-Disney gigs on Fridays and Saturdays and I have a feeling I'll be doing more jazz than anything else. So I've been sorta' shopping the bop kits available. But I was wondering if any Bop owners tried their kits without the lift to see if they could get it to sound the same as when you do use the lift. If I was Jack DeJohnette where the bass drum is actually an extension of the toms, I wouldn't care, but as a mere mortal, I'm looking for a good thud, but bigger than the Safari 16".

I know from experience with my 18 inch Tama Stagestar bass that if I set the beater more than 1 1/2 inches above center the sound suffers a bit. I use a 2 inch riser with the beater set about 1 inch above center.

No idea, using a Tama Cobra on the 16 Safari and the accents are superb, far more punch and ease than my Axxis on Tama Starclassic 18.

I'm sure your girlfriend/wife/lover will melt when she sees that. I mean that opposite lol.

I made it for the man cave. It is also the collection bin for busted sticks.

I hand made my bass drum lift for my catalina jazz 18" x 16" I got the drum as far off the ground as possible, then made the lift out of sheet medal ( pic ) on Gretsch forum. I got to hear my drums played by a really good drummer last weekend, sounds great I think.

When I bought my Tama Stagestar several years ago, it came with a pedal designed for the 18" kick drum. Hits just about center. I don't know if you can get one individually but it would be worth a try. Does away with needing a lift on any 18" kick. Good luck.

Well, I think I solved the issue: I walked into the local Sam Ash today and took the Tama Silverstar kit they had on the floor. 14x18 bass with a lift, 8x12, 14x14 toms and a 5x14 snare. I'm in the process of cleaning it up (it was on the floor getting dusty) and putting good heads on it. I'll post some pictures when it's up and running. I wasn't planning on it, but that red sparkle was just calling out to me....well, that and those old skool off-white front logo heads. Heck of a way to make a decision, eh?

I want to start a betting pool of how long you will have the Silverstar kit.
I say two months! :)

OK Bob, you're on! Actually, this snare seems a bit more agreeable even with the stock heads. Once I outfit it with cool heads, I'll do a little review - I was more surprised than anything else.

And I'm in the mindset that as much as I love the bubingas, I really don't want to drag that kit everywhere. In reality, I'm becoming like you, Bob. I'll have at least two kits (not your FIVE) and I'll choose which one goes out for a particular job. Since the places I tend to play at think of drums as an afterthought, I'm sure the little one will go out more.

We'll see. You'll owe me lunch when we finally meet ;)

I'm at the stage now where I leave kits at the places that I frequently practice at so I only have to lug a cymbal bag.
I use the Safari for Jazz gigs and the Pearl/ddrum kit for Rock/Country gigs.
My Rhythm Traveler stays at the Jazz bands practice space and the Stagestar stays at the Country/ Rock bands practice space.
The old Gretsch never leaves my house.
I am thinking about getting a Taye Studio Maple Or a Sonor Ascent.

I'm at the stage now where I leave kits at the places that I frequently practice at so I only have to lug a cymbal bag.
I use the Safari for Jazz gigs and the Pearl/ddrum kit for Rock/Country gigs.
My Rhythm Traveler stays at the Jazz bands practice space and the Stagestar stays at the Country/ Rock bands practice space.
The old Gretsch never leaves my house.
I am thinking about getting a Taye Studio Maple Or a Sonor Ascent.

I imagine your house being quite the drum shop when everything comes home at once! And definitely go for the Sonor Ascent. You get a free Sonor t-shirt with your purchase!

The thing with the Sonor Ascent is that it isn't sold as a shell pack.
I have to buy hardware that I just don't need.
Taye has shell packs for the Studio Maple.
The Taye kit has a fairly thin shell.

The thing with the Sonor Ascent is that it isn't sold as a shell pack.
I have to buy hardware that I just don't need.
Taye has shell packs for the Studio Maple.
The Taye kit has a fairly thin shell.

Hmm. Have you talked with Dale's Drum Shop? They seem to create their own shell packs with what they have....

Thanks Andy ;)

Hmm. Have you talked with Dale's Drum Shop? They seem to create their own shell packs with what they have....

Thanks Andy ;)
I'm waiting unti I sell the RT kit before I buy another.
I haven't gotten that serious yet.
I may wait for an eBay find on a set of Sonor Delites!!!
I haven't made up my mind yet.
If I buy the Delites I will have to sell the old Gretsch.
The Delites will become my studio kit.

Back