Back to Oak

2bsticks

Platinum Member
So I sold my Yamaha Oak Customs last November and picked up a DW Performance kit. Although I liked the DW, good quality nice sounding drums. I am not a fan of the tom mounting system. Just not for me. So I found a Live Custom kit and in a black finish where you can see the grain of the oak and fell in love with the kit. Putting clear emperors on the toms and a SK1 on the kick, sounds great. I guess I'm old school in that I like the toms on the bass drum. Makes setting up nice an easy and in all honesty I think Dave Weckl sounds pretty damn good not using virgin bass drums.

Sounds like a nice kit. I've always loved the sound of Yammies.
I have Tama, and I really like the "no through hole" BD tom mount.
But in reality, I think tuning makes more of a diff than the tom mount.

I like the tom mount on a bass drum too. Or on a rack. I hate the way a tom feels flimsy when you hang it from a stand.

I hear you Dre, maybe if you did a side by side comparison of a virgin kick and a drum with toms mounted on it and used some high end recording equipment you would hear a difference. However, I have a mic mounted in my kick, it's being fed through the PA so not sure how much resonance I am loosing?

Me neither. Resonance is overrated anyway.

:D

Love for Oak!

Went back myself too last year:
10931534_10205850144952401_1328846658081692036_n.jpg

I prefer a virgin kick btw:
10931432_10205827628309499_8941074838827255933_n.jpg

With a build in Beta 52:
10429412_10205821715321678_8380157743654242145_n.jpg

So I sold my Yamaha Oak Customs last November..... I found a Live Custom kit....

I was a little surprised you sold that Oak Custom kit - looked like a nice setup.

Just wondering how you like the Live Oaks compared to the Oak Customs?
Is there much real difference besides the Lives being physically heavier?
I'm guessing they sound real similar.

Great looking kit MusiQman. I see you went virgin on the kick!

Hi Wildbill, the main reason (not a good one either) I do not like hanging floor toms, also I was only using a 4 piece kit lately so I figured I would replace it with a smaller kit and try out the DW performance series. That was in November, traded the DW's to get a new set of oaks, have yet to gig out with them and tonight I will be tuning them up. I was curious how the quality would be going from Japan to China but they are really made well. The rims are also nickel plated so they have a nice dark silver tint to them, finish is beautiful too. They also painted the inside of the drums black, looks really cool with clear heads.

Thanks and I love the look of your kit with the rack. Took a quick picture in the basement.

Attachments

• live custom.jpg
    live custom.jpg
    78 KB · Views: 91
Back