Carmine Appice Lobbies For Led Zeppelin Drum Spot

I've watched the 2007 O2 show several times, and I think Jason nailed that show. The only song that I thought was a little off was Since I've Been Loving You. Robert Plant said the remaining Zeppelin members love Jason, but remarked that it would just be too hard emotionally to not have John on stage with them for a whole tour.

Few thoughts here.

1. I've known Carmine for many years. Great guy. Great drummer. Definitely could bring it in this hypothetical situation.
2. Jason is Bonham's son. Legacy. Selling point. The only choice that will be made regarding Zep's drum throne.
3. Jason would be playing Bonzo's parts for the songs. Pretty much the same way they were recorded.
4. Doubtful the reunion is going to happen.

Peace,

MT

It was a Bonham replica kit.

And Bonham's set up was a copy Carmine's Vanilla Fudge kit.

http://www.johnbonhamdrums.com/

appice-replacements-cover.jpg

Im pretty familiar with Zepp drum kit configurations.

This would more probably be the set up at a Vanilla Fudge tribute, not a thumper kit. Carmine is still alive, still playing.

Robert Plant has my respect for not reuniting Led Zeppelin. It's like when Bill Murray saved Ghostbusters.

Ain't gonna happen.

The remaining members of Zepp know Bonzo would've wanted his son to carry on. Look at the scene in The Song Remains the Same. Nothing would've made Bonzo prouder probably than to have his kid Jason become a drummer, as opposed to a dirt bike rider.

Pretty typical NY (East coast) attitude Appice has going on. More American than classic brit anyway. Its in the Americans blood to detest nepotism. A lot of Americans feel what's wrong with the country is trust fund babies. America fought for freedom from hereditary monarchs, so the thought of some privileged kid getting a job over someone who came up through the streets and made it doesn't sit well with Americans. Bonzo did look up to Appice, admittedly stole some of his licks.

Typical NY east coast attitude?Really,how would you know what "typical NY attitude is,unless you grew up here..Your ascessment dosen't seem to match my attitude .....at all.I find your remarks , stereotypically misinformed,and insulting.

What IS typical in NY, is the "don't take any sh*t from anybody",and to get back up,when you get knocked down.You seem to be confusing the two with misplaced arrogance

Know from what you speak of.You seemed to have really missed the mark here.Maybe Carmines ego(and prehaps justifiably so considering who he's played with) has difficulty fitting through a doorway,but that's a singular attitude,and not to be confused with a "typical NY east coast attitude",if such a thing even exists........(pretty sure it dosen't)That would be like saying all California girls....are "valley girls".Is that a fair comparison?

BTW...just where did you "grow up"?Not in my town.

Steve B

1) I was never a fan of Jasons drumming

2) I hope the members of Zeppelin let sleeping dogs lie

3) Carmine probably would have sounded better with them than Jason had ... although he sounds quite horrible here and less like Bonham than anyone I have ever heard

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lC2DOsS88hw

he seems completely unprepared and is using two feet for things John would have used one

I think that's the bottom line here. The whole performance in that clip is truly horrible, but I'm sure he's more than capable of pulling it off with the benefit of rehearsal.

Wow, imagine being booked for a gig like that, only needing to nail one song, & not even knowing the parts. :(

I agree that the whole "band" seemed terribly unprepared and it sounded as such. You last point is exactly what I thought when I listened.......world class/famous drummer chosen to play one song tribute to another world class/famous drummer and this is the best you can do? Yes, he still showed some chops, and I love a busy drummer, but this was an embarrassment for someone of his caliber!

I think that's the bottom line here. The whole performance in that clip is truly horrible, but I'm sure he's more than capable of pulling it off with the benefit of rehearsal.

Wow, imagine being booked for a gig like that, only needing to nail one song, & not even knowing the parts. :(

It seems like this happens a lot to Led Zeppelin songs. If you recall the Live Aid Led Zeppelin abortion when Phil Collins sat in with the band when they played Stairway to Heaven? It was so bad, they didn't include it on the re-released DVD set of the entire concert. But I remember watching it wondering what the heck wasting on.

Then I read a later Tony Thompson interview who said Phil basically showed up without rehearsal (of which Tony made) and went for it, which is why it sounded so unprepared. I'm beginning to believe that that band needed John Bonham and maybe in another context, John Bonham wouldn't have sounded the same without Led Zeppelin. The planets and stars all aligned once for the creation of that band!

Typical NY east coast attitude?Really,how would you know what "typical NY attitude is,unless you grew up here..Your ascessment dosen't seem to match my attitude .....at all.I find your remarks , stereotypically misinformed,and insulting.

What IS typical in NY, is the "don't take any sh*t from anybody",and to get back up,when you get knocked down.You seem to be confusing the two with misplaced arrogance

Know from what you speak of.You seemed to have really missed the mark here.Maybe Carmines ego(and prehaps justifiably so considering who he's played with) has difficulty fitting through a doorway,but that's a singular attitude,and not to be confused with a "typical NY east coast attitude",if such a thing even exists........(pretty sure it dosen't)That would be like saying all California girls....are "valley girls".Is that a fair comparison?

Awwww, sounds like someone got a lump of coal in their stocking :(

Yes Steve, for the sake of this thread there's nothing atypical about stereotyping Carmine as a 'typical' New York/east coast attitude drummer.

Robert Plant said the remaining Zeppelin members love Jason, but remarked that it would just be too hard emotionally to not have John on stage with them for a whole tour.

It 'might' have been a nice way for Plant to say he/they didn't feel comfortable taking Jason out for a whole tour.

It seems like Carmine is trying to horn in on something that is not rightfully his. He's devaluing himself by trying to "inherit" that belt. Why does he even have to mention John? That is better said by others about him. It's like he's taking a play from Bernard Purdie's playbook in that any publicity is good publicity. Why try to ride JB's coat tails? Carmine has enough credits in his own right. It just smacks of insecurity and sour grapes, and he is doing this all to himself. He's publicly shooting himself in the foot. It's almost unanimous opinion here so far that he's doing more harm than good.

It 'might' have been a nice way for Plant to say he/they didn't feel comfortable taking Jason out for a whole tour.

Actually, I think there would need to be more planetary alignment for Zeppelin to say they'd tour together again, not just who the drummer would be. In reality, I think the 07 concert was great, and maybe they should just leave it at that. They have such a legacy as it is. Unlike seeing a group like the Eagles, I wish they would stop - it looks painful now.

I think Zeppelin has grown old gracefully and shouldn't feel that they have to stay together and tour again.

Actually, I think there would need to be more planetary alignment for Zeppelin to say they'd tour together again, not just who the drummer would be. In reality, I think the 07 concert was great, and maybe they should just leave it at that. They have such a legacy as it is. Unlike seeing a group like the Eagles, I wish they would stop - it looks painful now.

I think Zeppelin has grown old gracefully and shouldn't feel that they have to stay together and tour again.

Mmmmmm. LZ needs to get over it, the art is done (or is it?), time to throw the fans (those who made them) a bone.

LZ needs to realize they are entertainers just as much as artists. Show the fans some appreciation, balance the scales. They could pull a tour off, they don't have to meet some bygone standard, just go do it. Now if they were truly artists, they would put a new album together, then tour, but either way, new material or not, there's legions of fans who made them and legions more who would love to see them play live.

I don't think its health issues. Look at Cream, they went out probably knowing due to Jacks health it could be the last time, nobody cared JB sat on a stool, they just loved seeing Cream.

There are two types of people, beggars and thieves- Plant

Does LZ owe anyone anything? That's the mature artist (human) part that needs to be realized.

3) Carmine probably would have sounded better with them than Jason had ... although he sounds quite horrible here and less like Bonham than anyone I have ever heard

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lC2DOsS88hw

he seems completely unprepared and is using two feet for things John would have used one

I was in the audience for that show.

Glenn Sobel, Ray Luzier, Frankie Banali, Virgil killed it.
Many others played well that night.

Zep would have a lot of options if they ever wanted to actually go down that road.

Not to belabor the point, but.......After going back to the video, there are numerous other videos/songs with guest drummers from that night. The "band" actually sounds better (recording quality, notwithstanding) on every other one with those drummers! Draw whatever conclusions you like.

As far as the original question, I would agree with Larry and others; Carmine should chill on his politicking and his arrogance! IF there ever were to be some sort of LZ reunion, I say let your playing do the talking. Let others compare you to Bohnam and speak on who influenced whom.

After seeing/hearing what the late Michael Lee did w Page and Plant, he'd have been my #1 choice.

Plant has no desire to reunite Led Zep. I don't think he has the voice for it anymore.
Btw, I saw him on the street in Manhatten a few months back. He looked good...no chance to get close due to bodyguard.

It seems like Carmine is trying to horn in on something that is not rightfully his. He's devaluing himself by trying to "inherit" that belt. Why does he even have to mention John? That is better said by others about him. It's like he's taking a play from Bernard Purdie's playbook in that any publicity is good publicity. Why try to ride JB's coat tails? Carmine has enough credits in his own right. It just smacks of insecurity and sour grapes, and he is doing this all to himself. He's publicly shooting himself in the foot. It's almost unanimous opinion here so far that he's doing more harm than good.
Carmine has always done this. Remember that Modern Drummer interview in the early 80s where he basically took credit for Bonham's playing?

I think he actually is more important than he gets credit for, but the way he goes on about it turns people off.

IF LZ was to ever tour I would like to see Jason on the drums. I think it would be great tribute to his Father.

There are plenty of great drummers that could do the gig maybe Carmine is one of them? I don't know!

This has nothing to do with ego or who did what back in the day.

Being a big Zep fan I have thought about this scenario a few times.

1. Zep will not reunite. They did the 02 show and the band has admitted it was for Jason as much as it was anything else.

2. Zep with Appice or Jason Bonham or anyone else on the drums is exactly that. Led Zeppelin with XXXX XXXXXX on drums. Nobody, IMO, can replace Bonham. I feel the exact same way with Alice in Chains. They have a new singer. It's still a great band and has the Alice "feel". But, its simply AIC with another singer. Nobody can replace Layne Staley.

Back