Recorded a little tune a while back - Video inside

Naigewron

Platinum Member
So we recorded some drum tracks for a new song in our rehearsal space, and I figured I'd post some footage from the drum takes here, along with the finished drum track.

The drum tracks are done, but the rest of the song is only in demo form, so I've left the video unlisted. I was just so pleased with the drum sound we got that I figured I'd post it. This was recorded in a messy concrete rehearsal room, with an inexpensive mic set straight into a standalone hard drive recorder. I felt those toms in particular sounded great. The kick and snare have samples mixed in, but the rest is all mics.

We didn't film the whole thing, so there are a couple of parts where the track doesn't completely match what you see (plus a second of black screen going into the solo).

You won't find any fancy fills or blazing double kick here; this is 100% straight ahead, fun rock n'roll:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xbxS1skf210

Absolutely superb playing Naige. Rock solid, & right on the money for the song. My kind of drumming, my kind of drummer!

The kick and snare have samples mixed in, but the rest is all mics.
Were the samples on snare & bass drum that necessary? Toms sound good, & with a fairly short note that suits the track style well.

Absolutely superb playing Naige. Rock solid, & right on the money for the song. My kind of drumming, my kind of drummer!
Thanks man, much appreciated :)

Were the samples on snare & bass drum that necessary?
I'm sure the snare and kick would have sounded more than adequate if we had a little more actual experience with micing and recording, but they ended up sounding just a little weak on the original tracks. The kick sample adds a little bit of extra low end, and I believe the snare was just for a little bit of extra crack in the initial hit. Most of the sound is still from the mics though; they're not completely replaced.

Great job, man!! I really enjoyed your playing. Totally spot on, if you ask me! :)

Good looking kit, too.

Are you copying Travis Barker? ;-)

That was a great performance. I liked the fill you did from high to low, then low to high again. I work on that, but haven't used it yet. Your sound was really good. I liked the song also. I bet the finished product will be great. Thanks for posting.

Yeah that was my kind of drumming too. I think the drums sounded great. Cymbals well controlled which can be difficult to do.
The camera angle really showed the distance from the rack to the first floor inherent with a tom on a stand. But it didn't affect your playing.

Yeah that was my kind of drumming too. I think the drums sounded great. Cymbals well controlled which can be difficult to do.
Thanks man!

The camera angle really showed the distance from the rack to the first floor inherent with a tom on a stand. But it didn't affect your playing.

It might look worse from that angle than it actually is; here's an overhad pic I snapped at the same session.

There is a bit of a gap, bit it's definitely not uncomfortable. Also, I find that moving it too far to the right means that my left hand has a harder time reaching it if I want to keep my right hand on the snare. Having it straight in front of me seems to help me reach it equally comfortably with both hands at any time.

Attachments

• 2012-11-29 17.14.10.jpg
    2012-11-29 17.14.10.jpg
    301.1 KB · Views: 36
Gotta try this setup.
Can you post a bit about the recording setup you guys have, interface/mixer, how it was mixed, etc.

thx

jorn

I'll see what I can dig up, but my guitar player is the one responsible for most of the recording expertise.

Back