Mark Guiliana transcription

JerryOnDrums

ay Jerry you killed it man. you actually were a big part of the inspiration for my own attempt... this stuff is hard. I referenced your transcription a fair amount too- so thanks for that!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=spKnWLm9JUM

Ytsephill I've scanned and attached sheet music for the HEERNT pattern you're thinking about trying, which I guess he calls "Lead the Way." I was lucky enough to take a lesson and do a series of clinics with Mark a couple months ago, and in one of them we worked on and talked through "Locked in a Basement" and "Lead the Way." Hope it helps!

Attachments

• Doc - May 27, 2014, 12-52 AM (1).pdf
    245 KB · Views: 426
Wow, thanks so much for the transcription man! That's gonna save me a lot of work.
Really jealous you got to have a lesson with Mark haha. Did he give you some "inside tips" on how to approach these kind of grooves?
Also, great performance yourself on that video, I'll be using yours and Jerrys as guidance :)

ay Jerry you killed it man. you actually were a big part of the inspiration for my own attempt... this stuff is hard. I referenced your transcription a fair amount too- so thanks for that!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=spKnWLm9JUM

Ytsephill I've scanned and attached sheet music for the HEERNT pattern you're thinking about trying, which I guess he calls "Lead the Way." I was lucky enough to take a lesson and do a series of clinics with Mark a couple months ago, and in one of them we worked on and talked through "Locked in a Basement" and "Lead the Way." Hope it helps!

Hmmm I don't recall any specific advice, I do remember him talking about moving his RH to the snare for the 3 notes of that trick 32nd note passage with the bass drum. Other than that, I know he wrote that pattern, and much of his other stuff, simply from improvising within a certain context, such as improvising thinking mainly 16th note conversation between the BD and SD. Also, he and Chris Morrissey both stressed the importance of not thinking of these things as hard, just thinking of them as needing work- but not to be intimidated! If you PM me your email I can send you audio files of all the clinics and the lesson (assuming you'd keep them private), if you're interested!

Back