Show your wood

Don think I posted this snare in this thread, and seeing as it is more wood than many, it belongs here.
The shell is worm holed and spalted Bubinga. 13X7, die cast hoops, DW throw and adjustable butt with some Bubinga accents. The lugs are custom machined units from Allstar, and I made the lug casings from Rosewood.
The drum has no particular "good side". It looks great from any angle and plays so nice I almost fall into it.

Now this is what the highest quality solid bubinga can look like! This is not made of different colour staves. It's the transition between heartwood & sapwood. Almost impossible to seamlessly match to this standard, unless your name happens to be Dean Price :)

I do not know what you mean by the highest solid Bubinga... but there are lots of sort of Bubinga wood : African Rosewood, Buvenga, Essingang, Kevazingo, Ovang, Waka etc

So all those woods are quality wood. I specially love the Richter Bubinga snare, timber selected and handmade in Berlin :

bubinga2.jpg

I do not know what you mean by the highest solid Bubinga... but there are lots of sort of Bubinga wood : African Rosewood, Buvenga, Essingang, Kevazingo, Ovang, Waka etc

So all those woods are quality wood.
I mentioned highest quality bubinga. It was a wood quality statement. The genus of the wood has nothing to do with quality. You can get poor quality & excellent quality in any wood species.

Additionally, you're factually incorrect. There are not "lots of sort of Bubinga wood". The names you mention are just alternative names for the same wood species pulled from a Wikipedia listing. There are however, lots of different qualities of bubinga available, & lots of different cuts / figuring too.

The Richter snare is very nice, but a pity about the match choice of generic black hardware & bright Trick strainer.

The shell is worm holed and spalted Bubinga.
Absolutely stunning shell. I especially love the wormholes!!

I mentioned highest quality bubinga. It was a wood quality statement. The genus of the wood has nothing to do with quality. You can get poor quality & excellent quality in any wood species.

Additionally, you're factually incorrect. There are not "lots of sort of Bubinga wood". The names you mention are just alternative names for the same wood species pulled from a Wikipedia listing. There are however, lots of different qualities of bubinga available, & lots of different cuts / figuring too.

The Richter snare is very nice, but a pity about the match choice of generic black hardware & bright Trick strainer.

Absolutely stunning shell. I especially love the wormholes!!

Interesting debate ! I understand what you mean.
I do not know what you think about the Starphonic Bubinga snare, made in Japan. The Bubinga wood seems different from what we see on Custom bubinga snares. But I tested many Bubinga snare, from Custom to more conventionnal Bubinga snares.

The Starphonic is my favorite, sounds more woody, with a very warm grain and big amount of low ends. To my ears this Starphonic Bubinga is just exceptional ! This snare sings and for sure those 1,6mm groove hoops help a lot !

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pG65BgjbXmo

Now this is what the highest quality solid bubinga can look like! This is not made of different colour staves. It's the transition between heartwood & sapwood. Almost impossible to seamlessly match to this standard, unless your name happens to be Dean Price :)

Hi DMC, good to have you here :)

I think I/we got lost in the terminology. This drum is stave construction, but staves of alternate colouring are not used to get the visual effect. In other words, there isn't a light stave, then a dark stave, then another light one, etc, as is the case with a mixed timber species example. The individual staves are taken from a specific part of the log, the section that transitions heart wood & sap wood. They're then effectively book matched to get the seamless cohesive look to the shell.

The reason for doing this isn't just visual, it's also a tonal choice.

Hi Andy, I missed this post but had to reply of course ;-).
Thanks for the explanation on the colouring, I've been wondering about that. Beautiful build, looks seemless to me.

BTW: I see that's a smaller version with newer hardware, are you still building these bubinga snares?

OK, here's mine:

Attachments

• 20130514-IMG_7352.jpg
    20130514-IMG_7352.jpg
    158.5 KB · Views: 1,026
  • 20131209-IMG_7541.jpg
    20131209-IMG_7541.jpg
    141.1 KB · Views: 1,033
  • 20131209-IMG_7538.jpg
    20131209-IMG_7538.jpg
    198.3 KB · Views: 1,035
  • 20131209-IMG_7535.jpg
    20131209-IMG_7535.jpg
    145.6 KB · Views: 1,030
  • 20131209-IMG_7545.jpg
    20131209-IMG_7545.jpg
    93.7 KB · Views: 1,027
Hi Andy, I missed this post but had to reply of course ;-).
Thanks for the explanation on the colouring, I've been wondering about that. Beautiful build, looks seemless to me.

BTW: I see that's a smaller version with newer hardware, are you still building these bubinga snares?

OK, here's mine:

NICE GURU snare ! Any demo on this beautiful stuff :) ??

That Guru looks more like Walnut.
Ditto what Andy said about the Richter. Smoked tube lugs, black rims and chrome throw off to me is comparative to the Partridge family bus.

Most custom builders learn to stay away from more than two colours. However I recently bashed a guys snare for this, a few guys on the forum got all pissy with me, then the builder chimed in that he fought with his customer that ordered the snare, but the customer insisted on brass tension rods, spiky smoked lugs, chrome hoops and throw off. It ended up looking like a drum assembled using whatever was found in the spare parts box.

We've only built one more of these last year, & that was an up to date In-Tense hardware specification, but with the early heavy shell.

NICE GURU snare ! Any demo on this beautiful stuff :) ??
Eric's snare is an early model. The later models have different shell hardware, fixings, & strainer.

I found these two honest capture clips of Eric's snare. It's the actual one Eric now owns:

Kit solo with snare: https://youtu.be/g7NcbCLNcDA?t=2m44s

Solo snare demo: https://youtu.be/SgSpQJE-XSo?t=6m8s

Compare the wood type to the Guru above, hence the doubt it is Bubinga.
Absolutely I can assure you it's bubinga. People are used to seeing the rather plain figured variety used in pretty much all ply drums & most solids too. occasionally you'll find nice veneers such as waterfall bubinga & other figurings, but very rarely in solid board form. These shells are made from highly figured boards transitioning heartwood & sapwood, hence the huge contrasts. There's no way you can get these colours from walnut. If you could, I'd be all over the boards like a rash!!! :)

About my snare: I'm no wood expert at all but Andy said it is bubinga, so who am I not to believe him?
And it looks the same as this bubinga snare (http://www.drummerworld.com/forums/showpost.php?p=1303006&postcount=431).
Absolutely 100% guarantee it's bubinga. It's just in a rare form that people aren't used to. Additionally, there's very few builders who would dare to match such prominent colour variation boards such that they look seamless. Not blowing smoke up Dean's arse, but he's an absolute master at this.

& yes, confirmed, the link you put up is the only other one, & is in the latest In-Tense specification. It sold in seconds!!!! :(

We've only built one more of these last year, & that was an up to date In-Tense hardware specification, but with the early heavy shell.

Not blowing smoke up Dean's arse, but he's an absolute master at this.

& yes, confirmed, the link you put up is the only other one, & is in the latest In-Tense specification.

Hi Andy, thanks for the info and the links, nice to see that again.
Yes, Dean is a fantastic master. The snare looks even more beautiful in person and has a great, unique sound.

It sold in seconds!!!! :(

Shouldn't that be :)?
;-)

Eric's snare is an early model. The later models have different shell hardware, fixings, & strainer.

I found these two honest capture clips of Eric's snare. It's the actual one Eric now owns:

Kit solo with snare: https://youtu.be/g7NcbCLNcDA?t=2m44s

Solo snare demo: https://youtu.be/SgSpQJE-XSo?t=6m8s

Nice demo, sounds good. Love this snare :)

Geez. forgot all about this thread. Here is a 14X6.5 macassar ebony snare that I made: 1/4" thick, 60 aluminum inlays, carbon fiber rerings, lugs made in house, milled down Trick throw, stainless steel angel hoops. the finish on the shell is Malooff oil with a few coats of satin polyurethane. The uncomlpleted drum is a 14X8 curly koa with carbon fiber rerings as well.

Attachments

• DSC_1602.JPG
    DSC_1602.JPG
    276 KB · Views: 946
  • DSC_1534.JPG
    DSC_1534.JPG
    345.5 KB · Views: 953
  • DSC_1529.JPG
    DSC_1529.JPG
    351.1 KB · Views: 981
  • DSC_1514.JPG
    DSC_1514.JPG
    429.8 KB · Views: 971
  • DSC_1512.JPG
    DSC_1512.JPG
    360.2 KB · Views: 964
Gee, thanks Tony. I revive the thread and you waltz in and make my drum look like a piece of cow turd.
Absolutely not the case. You have a beautiful shell there - bet it sounds great too :)

Geez. forgot all about this thread. Here is a 14X6.5 macassar ebony snare that I made: 1/4" thick, 60 aluminum inlays, carbon fiber rerings, lugs made in house, milled down Trick throw, stainless steel angel hoops. the finish on the shell is Malooff oil with a few coats of satin polyurethane. The uncomlpleted drum is a 14X8 curly koa with carbon fiber rerings as well.
Tony, I commented your build on the FB wood finishing forum, but nice to see a bigger selection of pictures here. Your detail work is just wonderful, & I applaud your in house lugs too :) The whole build just screams quality.

I'm not up to speed on carbon fibre reinforcement rings. Did you form these yourself, or fashion from tube, or are they bought in as is?

Absolutely not the case. You have a beautiful shell there - bet it sounds great too :)

Tony, I commented your build on the FB wood finishing forum, but nice to see a bigger selection of pictures here. Your detail work is just wonderful, & I applaud your in house lugs too :) The whole build just screams quality.

I'm not up to speed on carbon fibre reinforcement rings. Did you form these yourself, or fashion from tube, or are they bought in as is?

Thanks Andy. Tony knows I am just goofing on him, that is one of, if not the best build he has done yet. He is really setting the bar for us all lately.

Naw, Uniongoon is just busting my balls. He builds nice drums and he knows that. And thanks, I have no intention of high bar setting, I'm just easily bored with the same old stuff.

Thanks so much for the compliments, Andy. I form the carbon fiber rings myself.

I've been playing this configuration for a while now and really enjoying it. Keller Vintage mahogany 22x14, 16x16, and a 58' Ludwig Pioneer snare. There's a 12" Wuhan china/10" K Zildjian stack in the rack tom position along with a 20" K Custom Dark ride, 18" Zildjian EFX/10" K splash stack, a 19" A Custom crash and 14" New Beats

Attachments

• 3 piece mahogany.jpg
    3 piece mahogany.jpg
    48.6 KB · Views: 875
Back