Following up on Master Elder's thread.

1: Get the loop:
Youtube
Soundcloud
Soundcloud with Metronome
Garageband Project
MP3 File
MP3 with metronome.

2: Record something to the loop... Example: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PqQ1zkM8_lU

3: Post your recording with a description of your setup (mics, kit, heads, interface, how many years you've been drumming).

4: We'll see if we can stitch the results together to make a nice comparison collage.

Notes: BPM is 110. I think the real song is 112 or something like that. I left the Metronome on for the count-in and the first loop so you can line it up with your own.

A decent exhibition of the grove is here.

Last edited:
Awesome! Thanks so much! Maybe Andy can give away a snare for the best one ;)

1: Get the loop:
Youtube
Soundcloud
Garageband Project file

2: Record something to the loop.
3: Post your recording with a description of your setup (mics, kit, heads, interface)
4: We'll see if we can stitch the results together to make a nice comparison collage.

Notes: BPM is 110. I think the real song is 112 or something like that.
Aha - you fixed it :) Still pushing just a tad, but that's fine, as it's consistent - nice "driving" style.

I'll record to a Zoom Q3HD with video, then stitch to the loop in iMovie. Is that ok? (it's all I got :( Any chance of posting up an MP3 file?

Awesome! Thanks so much! Maybe Andy can give away a snare for the best one ;)
maybe someone else can give away a snare for a change. You must have a few spare ones hanging around Bo? ;)

Ok, looks like I'm first off the blocks. I had an hour spare, & I already had the big walnut In-Tense kit set up. So, a quick mic placement, a couple of goes round to get the feel, & here it is - my attempt. Of course, I just had to do this big open rock style, the kit just begs for that. I did struggle to get the timing on the dwell at the end of each section without a click. Give me an hour or two on that, & I'd have it nailed. Difficult to hear the loop over the sound of the drums. You can tell I'm not set up for "covers".

Replacement video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lIYefHcOCYg&feature=youtu.be (1080P & headphones for full glory :)

Now the tech stuff: Two Rode NT5 small condensers as low (almost over the shoulder) overheads. D112 on the batter side of the bass drum, about 8" back off the head. The three mic's are running to a Mixwiz 3 desk, then straight to the Zoom Q3HD camera. I have no post processing facility, no ability to tweak afterwards, so the only processing is on the desk.

Bass drum channel: -4db low, -3db 70Hz swept low mid, +2db 3k swept high mid, 0db high.
Overheads channels: +2db low, -1db 125Hz swept low mid, +3db 5k swept high mid, 0db high. Modest amount of reverb added.

Kit spec: in-Tense series ultra lightweight walnut stave. 24" x 14" - Emad batter, EQ1 resonant, nothing inside the shell. 18" x 14" floor tom - G2 over G1 clear, 14" x 8" tom - G2 over G1 clear. 14" x 7" In-Tense series thin shell padauk stave snare G1 coated over hazy 300 - S hoops.

Last edited by a moderator:
Good one Andy! Those drums sound awesome. You've given me an idea that it could also be a riff to solo over too. I'm looking for time this week to wake up the neighborhood, but mine is forthcoming!

Andy that Walnut kit sounds fantastic-and your playing sounds spot on to me. Love the cymbal combinations-sound great. Solid playing, but your playing is a bit different that you use to play-miss your tasty fills I admired -what's up? Don't get me wrong sounds great-I'm loving it sounds very intentional and methodical-gives all the music room to be heard.

Good one Andy! Those drums sound awesome. You've given me an idea that it could also be a riff to solo over too. I'm looking for time this week to wake up the neighborhood, but mine is forthcoming!
I need to record this again Bo, the drift irks me. I need to find a way to hear the loop better. I'm happy with the drum sound though for a quick & dirty recording. Bass drum could do with a touch more bite. I'm especially happy with how the tom's tone translates to the pencil condensers. You'd almost think they're close mic'd. The drums help with that a lot :)

Andy that Walnut kit sounds fantastic-and your playing sounds spot on to me. Love the cymbal combinations-sound great. Solid playing, but your playing is a bit different that you use to play-miss your tasty fills I admired -what's up? Don't get me wrong sounds great-I'm loving it sounds very intentional and methodical-gives all the music room to be heard.
Thanks Art :) I kept this deliberately open. I think there's enough fills in there, perhaps too many TBH. If I record it again, I might throw some insane / wholly inappropriate fill in there just to please you though ;)

I need to record this again Bo, the drift irks me. I need to find a way to hear the loop better.

Would posting a version with the metronome all the way through help? When I rehearse, I record with the metronome and turn it off for playback...

What I noticed is that, during the rundown I have to stop trying to navigate the guitar line, as it leaves me in an uncanny state on the dwell.

Your drums and playing sound great by the way.

I totall blame Bo for picking a part that sounds really simple, but isn't ;-)

Last edited:
"I might throw some insane / wholly inappropriate fill in there just to please you though ;)" Fantastic with lots of double stroke rolls and keep playing the kick through the fill adding lots of extra beats (course all off tempo)-then end with a cowbell-no go into a shuffle yes that's the ticket. Got to be like Kanye and break some barriers of good taste in music=we now have license to screw up any song so go for it. LOL

Would posting a version with the metronome all the way through help?
I totall blame Bo for picking a part that sounds really simple, but isn't ;-)
Thank you, & yes, a version with a very very loud 8th note click would help a lot (mp3 please). My issue isn't so much keeping time on the dwell, it's hearing the damn loop. That's my tech issue :)

"I might throw some insane / wholly inappropriate fill in there just to please you though ;)" Fantastic with lots of double stroke rolls and keep playing the kick through the fill adding lots of extra beats (course all off tempo)-then end with a cowbell-no go into a shuffle yes that's the ticket. Got to be like Kanye and break some barriers of good taste in music=we now have license to screw up any song so go for it. LOL
Wasn't quite what I had in mind Art, & I was joking too ;) I like open & simple. I'll leave the big note count stuff to others :) This kit just screams "big single thumps please" - the sound in the room is so satisfying - subtle it is not!

Thank you, & yes, a version with a very very loud 8th note click would help a lot (mp3 please). My issue isn't so much keeping time on the dwell, it's hearing the damn loop. That's my tech issue :)

MP3 and sound cloud posted (top of thread). It has a pretty good hammer-chisel-rock vibe to it.

Hey Andy I was joking too-mainly making reference to my last submission to the Guru contest hee,hee,hee, except I had no shuffle LOL. Actually after listening to my recordings I've come to the conclusion I'm too busy-like a a drunk honey bee-too many ghost notes on my snare and just no open spaces. I've been working on changing that because it records so much better I've discovered. I find your playing very tasteful while I'm the drunk honey bee at present-(which is an occurrence in nature-they wobble rather than waggle when they dance LOL)

Last edited by a moderator:
Andy you are way too modest-but I like that about you. Yes quite a few "moments" of note. If it weren't for the "moments" in my own playing I'd probably quit-just if I could figure out how to string my "moments" together. One of my mentors for my degree kept telling me to "keep it simple-you don't have to build a cyclotron to address the problem". I need to apply that to my playing.

Yes quite a few "moments" of note.
Just little drifts / slips here & there, mainly due to volume disparity issues in the cans. They're a semi open design. I need monitoring cans really.

Anyhow, I put this up mainly for the sound / recording aspect. I'm really pleased with how this kit translates without close mic'ing.

Just little drifts / slips here & there, mainly due to volume disparity issues in the cans. They're a semi open design. I need monitoring cans really.

Anyhow, I put this up mainly for the sound / recording aspect. I'm really pleased with how this kit translates without close mic'ing.

Again, that kit sounds great! Very solid playing, Andy.

Kit sounds great to my ears. I am pathetically ignorant of recording, which is great more stuff to learn about, so you talking way over my head. My brain must have a natural tendency to complicate things with ghost notes and just leave no open places and play though everything. I like to play along with the radio- I enjoy the spontaneity. Not trying to hijack this thread Andy but I just posted a vid which highlights my issue.-added reverb this time hadn't done that before. Excuse the lack of pauses and tempo issues i'd never heard the song and I was fiddling with my ear plugs, but about the first thirty seconds solid no ghost notes, sounds great to me, but then I take off as usual-I hit the main notes I'd like but dang add so many ghost notes on the snare and other crap it just blurs together-sounds dirty. Like what the heck is wrong with me. It's a catchy little song and it just makes me move. Maybe Valium will help-LOL https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YQkNTYDWHLY

Your 2nd time was much better... A few areas where you got off just a bit, but all in all, very nice! ...drum kit sounds very nice as well!

BTW... these are nice cans...make practicing to recordings much easier...

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Milian-Acou..._DefaultDomain_0&hash=item4cec4f39aa#shpCntId

I think that I am going to play too.
I should have some time to put my offering up this weekend.

Back