THC's Black Pearl

THC

Hey guys/gals

I'm new here. (obviously) Stumbled across this site, liked what I've seen, and figure I'll hang around awhile if'n ya don't mind. One thing I really like is that this site doesn't seem to have the typical musician snobbiness like I see alot of other places. Especially in some of the YouTube comments. Holy Crap! Don't expect to see any Tube clips of my drumming. I don't think my fragile self esteem could handle all the negative comments. :)

There is a TON of valuable information here at DW. I suspect it will take me quite awhile to get back into the archives.

So, I'm 42, father of an 8 yr old daughter. I had bought a cheap Peace 5 pc. kit about, well, 8 years ago, with the full intention of learning to play. Things happened, old lady's got pregnant, kids, remodels, blah blah blah,...the kit went away. :(

Fast forward 8 years; I have a daughter, whom I'm desperately trying to 1. get her involved in extracuricular activities, like.....hmmm?......DRUMS!!
and 2. trying to continually be "involved" in her life. Even at that age, you have to work hard to stay involved or they'll leave you behind. So I decided that percussion and taking lessons was something that we could do together. I could motivate her, and she could in turn motivate me. Despite the decibal level in our house increasing a hundred fold, Mom is on board with the program.......kinda :)

In order to light the flame that I hope will soon explode into a raging fire, I took her to Guitar Center a few times to ogle the equipment. One time there happened to be a gentlemen in their laying down some really funky grooves and once she heard that, that was it. I started shopping.

I hit Craigslist and ended up finding this nice black Pearl Soundcheck kit that I got as you see here, minus the Sound Off's for $400.

Drums
12" stand mounted tom
13" kick mounted tom
16" floor tom
22" kick drum
14" Pearl Snare
All heads are stock Pearl heads - very worn

Cymbals
14" Pearl Hi-Hats
18" Pearl Crash/Ride - Cracked
20" Zildjian ZBT Ride
18" Sabian XS Med Thin Crash

Hardware
Pearl kick pedal
Pulse double kick pedal
(2) Pearl straight cymbal stands
(1) DW straight cymbal stand
Pearl Hi-Hat stand
Pearl throne
(2) Zildjian stick bags
about 20 pairs of sticks of various sizes

1234032.jpg

1234036.jpg

Since then, I've added

Drums
10" stand mounted tom
14" stand mounted tom

Cymbals
12" Wuhan China
8" Sabian B8 Splash
16" Sabian B8 - Replaced the cracked Pearl
14" Zildjian ZBT Hi-Hats - Replaced Pearl Hi-Hats

Hardware
Evans Hydraulic 2 ply heads on all toms - Last 2 I'm picking up today
(2) DW cymbal boom stands
Cowbell

To date, not counting the new heads, or the Sound Off's, I'm into this kit about $600.

Kit10120.jpg

Kit026.jpg

Kit027.jpg

Kit10121.jpg

Kit10129.jpg

Kit10126.jpg

Kit10130.jpg

Kit10131.jpg

Kit10132.jpg

Kit10140.jpg

Kit10137.jpg

Kit10142.jpg

Kit10136.jpg

Kit10141.jpg

Kit10144.jpg

Kit10146.jpg

Kit10147.jpg

Kit019.jpg

Any feedback welcome

Last edited:
Looks like a nice kit. Can't go wrong with black. I think that it's really cool that you are getting your daughter into drums.

Thanks. I know it's just an entry level Pearl kit and pales in comparison to some of the absolutely gorgeous kits you guys have, but for the time being it's perfect for my newbie. She can beat the hell out of this kit, and it won't bother me one bit.

My plan is to start putting together a 2nd higher end kit. Probably a simple one up, one down, 4 pc. for Dad so we can noodle around together.

At the bare minimum I'm looking for another snare drum so we can practice rudiments together instead of one at a time.

Thanks. I know it's just an entry level Pearl kit and pales in comparison to some of the absolutely gorgeous kits you guys have, but for the time being it's perfect for my newbie. She can beat the hell out of this kit, and it won't bother me one bit.

My plan is to start putting together a 2nd higher end kit. Probably a simple one up, one down, 4 pc. for Dad so we can noodle around together.

At the bare minimum I'm looking for another snare drum so we can practice rudiments together instead of one at a time.

If you want to practice rudiments, get a pair of pads! They're quieter, transportable, cheaper, you can't go wrong.

If you wanna stick with Pearl(like any sane man would), go for the Masters series. If your wallet's a bit heavier, try the Reference series. Great drums either way.

Back