Drumming Nightmare

slowrocker

Silver Member
So yesterday evening I make it to a service our youth group was having, only to find out right as it was starting they needed me to play for it. Another drummer and myself had been bringing our drums for whatever was needed, but I had to use an old set that was put up for the last few months. The problem: whoever set it up obviously did not know what they were doing. Everything was set up wrong. The mounting hardware for the toms was not connected to the bass drum right and they were scratching the bass drum and all messed up as well. The snare was horribly out of tune and the floor tom was absolutely awful. I ended up taking the rack toms off to save the bass drum from further scratches. Then I played the rest of the evening without using toms and a horrible snare. It was not a fun experience. I made it though, and while it wasn't my best playing, I certainly was not frustrated with my playing based on the circumstances.

Ah man, well done for making it through the show though! Sounds like a true nightmare!

So were they your drums that were getting scratched? I'd really hit the roof if someone set my drums up badly and damaged them.

Can't imagine anyone setting my drums up for me though...

This is why I'm very selective about who uses my gear if anyone.

Sounds like an average night when I used to play in my Church growing up behind the drum kit!

All the best with your better youth group drumming gigs.

TJ @ www.britchops.co.uk

I've done numerous shows in similar circumstances.

Some times you just have to play the house kit, and sometimes the house kit is awful. It comes with the territory.

Sorry about that, although I do agree with DrumEatDrum, it tends to happen, and most of the time all you can really do is cope with what you have, and try to dissipate negative thoughts about the gear, just focus on your drumming. It is quite frustrating, but you might have a gig tomorrow, or next week where everything goes fine; you could also see it as a challenge, see just how good you can get the drums to sound, you know :) it's all about your attitude and approach.

Cheers :)

Thanks for the replies. I guess in the end it is a good experience. It forced me to focus on making a bad situation turn out fine rather than have everything right from the beginning.

Thanks for the replies. I guess in the end it is a good experience. It forced me to focus on making a bad situation turn out fine rather than have everything right from the beginning.

You handled it right. You'll get thrown more curveballs like this. One thing you can do, time permitting, is give the poor set some TLC and adjust it correctly for the next person who needs it. And that might be you.

I feel your pain brother...That's why I never leave home without my drums. A good snare goes a long way with a bad kit.

Back