How to tell when ur groovin.

Hi everyone newb here.

I've been practicing a lot lately, mostly to a metronome and recordings some. Occasionally I can get into a place where I feel like I'm "walking" on the groove, like the groove is a beat passing by on a concrete floor and I'm hitting right when it meets me. I *think* this is the feeling of being in the groove but I'm not sure.

How do you guys perceive "the groove".

How do I get into the groove quicker/easier?

That sounds like it. When there are no hitches, and everything just lays down beautifully, your fills don't "interrupt," and you are not drawing attention to yourself by either overplaying or underplaying, you are groovin.

now the trick is to record yourself when you feel like you're in the groove - then listen to it with a critical ear and see how it really sounds.

It amazes me how many times I'll do this and think that some part of my practice session was really grooving but when I listen to the recording - it's not so good. Yet - other parts of the session might be really tight even though it didn't seem like anything special while I was playing.

And as far as getting into the groove quicker or easier - it's good to warm up every time you sit down to play or practice.

Its usually gooseflesh, or a tingly feeling in your nether regions.

.......felt by you, and/or your fellow musicians and/or your audience.

You will feel very happy. In a good groove, though, you will never be aware that you are doing as well as you are. If you listen back to a recording, you should say, "Wow, I can't believe it sounded that good."

To really be grooving well is to be beyond yourself and you cannot be completely aware of what is beyond you. That accounts for the magical feeling; you sense it is much greater than you can really know at the moment.

It's not going to be the same if you aren't playing with other people. Even if you just got started - get out there and find some band-mates.

You'll know when you're groovin' when you and the band are moving together...as if you control the flow of time yourselves and the notes just come together in the right place at the right time. That's when you know you're in the pocket...and it's a beautiful thing.

When someone else listening to you, tells - you are inspired - you are passion - you are blood-and-thunder.....then you are grooving/feeling.

when you look out over the crowd and everyone is screaming and dancing. that's a good sign you're grooving! sometimes i'll pick out one girl in the crowd who's just standing there and i'll make it my personal goal to get her to dance.

when you look out over the crowd and everyone is screaming and dancing. that's a good sign you're grooving! sometimes i'll pick out one girl in the crowd who's just standing there and i'll make it my personal goal to get her to dance.

I've also done this and it's awesome when it works.

aydee said < . . . a tingly feeling in your nether regions . . . felt by . . . your fellow musicians and/or your audience>!!!!

Is that what they're calling "in the groove" these days?! Just kidding.

Yeah, it's definitely a spiritual, holistic experience, akin to what shamans must feel when they begin to enter a drum-induced trance. You know it when you feel it.

When you finish playing a song and you don't know where you've been for the past ten minutes.

My groove thermometer is the bass player, if I've got the groove on my pocket I can see him enjoy the music and not thinking what to or where to play. Your band mates are the greatest judgment of your grooving.

“Man, if you have to ask what it is, you’ll never know.

I hate that quote. It seems like 'it' is like an exclusive club which some people will never get into, no matter how hard they work. Really bad for someone who's looking for inspiration or who needs a bit of help.

My groove thermometer is the bass player, if I've got the groove on my pocket I can see him enjoy the music and not thinking what to or where to play. Your band mates are the greatest judgment of your grooving.

When you finish playing a song and you don't know where you've been for the past ten minutes.

Well said gentlemen......

You'll feel it. You'll be like, "Man, this is nice!"

Back