To all working drummers

I think:

1: This is not really part of drumming but you have to turn up and on time, yes I don't understand how anybody can not be bothered for it, I just do it like its anything else, college or whatever and I think is fun to play in a band.

2: You have to be able to do something, you have to create something musical and that fits the genre, don't think in terms of 'this beat is for this style because of how it may be named in drum lessons' because beats should never be put into styles but used creatively so they fit in a certain style, remember the 4 things that are important in anything you play - rhythm (including tempo obviously), dynamics and articulation, pitch is another but since were playing drums it isn't super important)). Don't just be somebody who plays what is given to them, like I said you have to create something to be a good drummer.

3: Don't focus on learning every single beat or rudiment, nobody can play every beat there can possibly be. It is important to learn lots of patterns BUT you have to learn how to make them sound good and which ones to choose with what you hear.

4. Listen to lots of music - this is not only influential on what you play but it helps you understand the language better in what you hear is good or bad, and how you interact with the other musicians, it also helps you explore the genres, sometimes you can play beats from only hearing them just by knowing small patterns that come from other beats, that also goes with point 3.

5: Not so many people can do it nowdays but you WILL come across a time where it will help as a performer: learn to be virtuosic and to come up with something on the spot, if the music changes without you knowing it will, you have to change what you play instantaneously and so it sounds musical, this is done without even hearing the music before hand, you just have to go in there and play in real time, it is used in jazz for example (I think).

For example sometimes a bar is extended or cut short, you have to keep on top of that because if you keep playing the full bar repeatedly it may be out of time. this takes years of practice. even if you are able to read music as well.

6: if you come up with an idea when playing or you think you should add a little more don't hesitate to not try it incase it doesn't work out. (yes I know you may feel embarrassed by making a mistake live but its a learning step).

There is probably many more points but for now that's all I can think of

Hope this helps and feel free to ask about them

This is great information and insight from some, obviously, very experienced players.
Thanks to all who posted their words of wisdom.
Now.. Can we get this stickied? :)

Shut up and play. Speak when you're asked a question, or when you have a legitimate question to ask. But just play, nothing matters except the song. Be the drum part to the song, whatever the song is, and you'll establish a reputation as a no-nonsense drummer who really delivers, and then the calls will start coming and you'll be working.

Anyway that's how it was when I was coming up; things have changed a lot since then.

Thanks you all for sharing these nuggets of wisdom...As an up and coming drummer, I found them to be both educational and inspirational.

....and be flexible. Being a musician can carry some strange hours, and being able to play during those times when the music calls for it [and not when it's simply convenient for you] can open things up.
When I start to play with a band, whether full-time, part-time or as a guest spot, I always fit myself to their practice schedule. It might take a little work and planning, but to be able to come in seamless, without any hassle for the other musicians, really makes a difference. People see your professionalism, responsibility and ability to adapt [along with killing it on the drums], and it adds points to your total at the end.
This includes being flexible with the music, as well as with the personalities of the other people in the band. Being able to deal with the sullen, withdrawn, intense songwriting guitar player-type can be just as difficult to sit through as the yammering, self-conscious, drummer-joke-telling bass player. A reasonable amount of diplomacy can help you in the beginning, even if it means adjusting yourself a little to your surroundings [i.e. not telling everyone why you feel paradiddles are so important in this part of the song, and how you go through your Moeller exercises for three hours after your morning power-shake....WE like talking about that stuff, but the non-drummers don't].

A band is an odd collection of egos, all going through varying degrees of the same feelings, anxieties and desires. Turn off the "I hope I don't screw up" part, and ramp up the "let's do this" part. If you screw up, cop to it. It'll show you saw it.

If you want to "work"...the way I understand work, you have to be flexible. You have to be in the mindset to be ready to do 29 shows in 32 days right now, to go through hours of practicing, teardowns, setups, lifting, moving, long hours of travel, sometimes uncomfortable and unfamiliar sleeping situations, the understanding that even if it feels like too much, it can still get bigger. Handle the times like a pro, even if the gig sucks, nobody's there, you're sick, your kick drum head is about to break, the rent's due, and your bass player is being a moron.

It could mean that you are playing every weekend and trying to juggle other things. You have to be dedicated enough to do that, even if it means missing out on other events. Add the family dynamic in there and it can become a career killer. And the job, the rent, the planning....all comes into effect when you "work".

Chops and Licks are great. The more, the better. Being able to play whatever is put in front of you organically and understanding the big picture of the band [as well as your role in it] makes you indispensable.

Back