Help Me Find a Snare

dot_Anthem

Hi, I have been looking around for ideas for a new snare, and the David Silveria snare from Tama stands out quite a bit for me:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4bV01zrANE0

I love the sound of it, and it looks nice. Only problem is that it is $500+ dollars, and I have never seen it used for sale. Does anyone know of a snare that sounds exactly like it? I can't really explain the sound, so I'll post the video again.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4bV01zrANE0

thanks, anthem

Well its a lot of plies , its thick maple and die cast .so finding anything similar for cheap is not gonna be easy second hand anything with those characteristics i guess.

I think you can get your hands on a regular Tama G Maple on ebay (used) for around 300-350. Same number of plies, diecast hoops, etc.

lol...I just layed away a OCP 7x13 that sounds sick!

Retail $461.00

Nodiggie's cost: $149.00+tax $161 & change. lol

Will post pics when I get it....

I would choose the one that makes you smile the most when you play it . :)

that sounds sweet.

I don't know much about maple snares, but if you ever get metal, get the tama metalworks.

lol...I just layed away a OCP 7x13 that sounds sick!

Retail $461.00

Nodiggie's cost: $149.00+tax $161 & change. lol

Will post pics when I get it....

I would choose the one that makes you smile the most when you play it . :)

Jim is really liking Nodiggie's cost on that snare! Source...care to share?

GC in central Cali

I realize there are a lot of exotic or custom snare drums out there that really do sound great. I just don't think just because a snare costs $600 on up that it is going to take you to snare drum nirvana. If you are spending big dollars to add to your collection, than that's cool.

Assuming that the drummer knows how to tune the instrument to get that certain particular sound out of it in the first place. Snare drums are a fickle mistress and everyone is different about tuning them.

Unless you are going into the studio and need that very unique "one of a kind" sound than I can see spending that much cash on a custom snare.

If you're on the road or gigging from place to place, a decent snare will do just fine for me, the world is usually not the wiser unless there are drummers or sound techs in the audience critiquing your drum sound.

GC in central Cali

I realize there are a lot of exotic or custom snare drums out there that really do sound great. I just don't think just because a snare costs $600 on up that it is going to take you to snare drum nirvana. If you are spending big dollars to add to your collection, than that's cool.

Assuming that the drummer knows how to tune the instrument to get that certain particular sound out of it in the first place. Snare drums are a fickle mistress and everyone is different about tuning them.

Unless you are going into the studio and need that very unique "one of a kind" sound than I can see spending that much cash on a custom snare.

If you're on the road or gigging from place to place, a decent snare will do just fine for me, the world is usually not the wiser unless there are drummers or sound techs in the audience critiquing your drum sound.

GC! Thanks for that...it figures.

Well its a lot of plies , its thick maple and die cast .so finding anything similar for cheap is not gonna be easy second hand anything with those characteristics i guess.

Anthem, I don't know if it will produce exactly the same sound you're looking for, but the Tama Artstar II snare is also a thick-shelled maple drum. Since the characteristics of the shell itself are similar, you should be able to get that sound with the right head selection and tuning. They're not very common due to their age (produced from '87 - '92 or thereabouts) but if you find one, it should sell for a reasonable price. I recently bought an entire 7-piece kit in great shape for $1200, so the snare alone in good shape should sell for roughly $150-$200. Oh yeah, it sounds great by the way!! :)

Hope that helps and good luck finding what you're looking for.

- Mike

GC in central Cali

Too True, I do own 2 very expensive Brady snares, (Second one should be here any day) But I use them primarily in the studio, or more "prominent concerts" otherwise I have a 4X14 copper and a 5X14 Ludwig Acrolite that I do most of my giging with. And as you mentioned unless there are other drummers or sound guys checking it out, 90% of the people can't tell the difference between a Ludwig Black Beauty or a CB700.

I have the metalworks snare....
Its really versatile and it really cuts through!
I think this will help you narrow down your choices:
METAL = CUT
WOOD = ALL-AROUND
:) Trying to revive this thread

Back