Are you a musician stereotype?

I'm definatley number 1 minus the drugs (I'm 14). I would think you could tell by the music they are playing. I play things like rock, grunge and alternative and I'm really like hey chill out man. But my friend Kevin plays progressive metal and he is more to the second. He can argue the hell out of his opinions. Jazz, gospel, blues and rock seem like they would have drummers that are more chill while people that play metal or are everything drummers would be more uptight.

But what about when we're working out drum parts (say, while listening to playbacks and realising that our instincts didn't quite cut it)? Or when deciding how loosely (if at all) we should arrange our drum part to allow for spontaneous play?

Working out drum parts for me, as larry said, is the time to understand the logic ( or the lack thereof.. ) of what I'm playing.

Wooten described it well in a DVD where the analogy he used was that of learning a language. After having learnt it, one speaks without conscious thought of how a sentence might have been constructed and the focus is more on conveying the emotion intented.

Great point! A life poser.. Someone once told me that if you are thinking while you are playing you are doing it wrong.. even if its parts that need remembering and bars that need counting, learn to feel them.

The life bit has got me thinking now...

The person that told you that could nto have had a musical education. Or they were gifted... whatever. That just doesn't work for everybody.

He most certainly did and sure, it doesn't work for everybody. There is no 'one way' in music.

Yes, but the principle of listening hard, switching off your mind and immersing yourself in a Zenlike way would have been the basic musicians' approach when we first banged rocks together. Not including sight-reading, there seems to be good premeditation (composing parts before playing) and bad premeditation (while playing because the musician doesn't trust his or her instincts).

Mucky, I'm not a gifted drummer by any stretch and IMO it's not a matter of how good you are so much as that basic principle will make a player work better with the music relative to their general standard.

There may not be a catch-all formula in music, but the switch-off-your-mind-and-immerse-yourself Zen thing is probably as close as there is to one if you've done your homework ... again, just IMO. One thing I know for sure is the best thing to let go of when playing music is your ego (that would apply to life in general too). You need confidence, of course, but only that you can serve the music, not to dominate it.

Oh poop, rambling again ...

Just back from a hugely frustrating studio session where I'd like to have been a type 1 but was forced into being a type 4 (type 2 but twice as bad) because of circumstances. Once I completely gave up caring, I reverted to type 0.5 (twice as obnoxious as type 1). I'm going to mix this mess next week when I'll be a type 2 at the desk, then a type 1 at the pub later. The moral? There's a bit of each stereotype in most players but you're often forced in a direction by circumstances and your own internal vibe meter. If you really extone the virtues of either 1 or 2 at the exclusion of the other, remember, every silver lining has a cloud!

Right you are, Larry, of course there's a spectrum, I'm speaking in very general terms.

I
Example- mistaken notion that it makes him sound better.( at some level it seems to give him confidence though.. ). this band has its days numbered.

Wow... talk about deja vu.

I seem to be stuck in the middle here. I absolutely LOVE just lettin loose and getting lost in the groove. It s a feeling you try to replicate over and over but just cant, at least in "my" case(s).

I also have had enough of the strict"studio" regimen to keep myself from feeling restricted.. But as AD said... confidence can be found in odd places, too bad it ends harshly.

I think I wanna be # 3.....1 and 2 adds up eventually

Just back from a hugely frustrating studio session where I'd like to have been a type 1 but was forced into being a type 4 (type 2 but twice as bad) because of circumstances. Once I completely gave up caring, I reverted to type 0.5 (twice as obnoxious as type 1). I'm going to mix this mess next week when I'll be a type 2 at the desk, then a type 1 at the pub later. The moral? There's a bit of each stereotype in most players but you're often forced in a direction by circumstances and your own internal vibe meter. If you really extone the virtues of either 1 or 2 at the exclusion of the other, remember, every silver lining has a cloud!
That's hilarious! I went into my bad recording experience with a mega-tanker of energy drink thinking that'd sustain me through all the tracking, but all it did was fuel my rage! It took quite a few drinks to take that edge off.

Recording is so much harder than performing. Just getting the drums to sound good is an all day task sometimes. And how were stereotypes described in the days of mono? Monotypes?

. Just getting the drums to sound good is an all day task sometimes.
Oh Larry, if only I had a whole day. 1st hour gratis for setup & mic placement then a 5 minute check. Everything recorded flat (I'm cool with that). Interesting to know where the term "stereotype" came from (probably showing my ignorance here). A slight off track but relevant, our singer was so pleased with his first take vocal he ran into the control room buck naked with only one of his socks to cover his gentlemans vegetables! Abe, oh sage one, think up a muso stereotype bracket for that!!! I'd just had my gormet lunch of pot noodle and (Kraft) cream egg too. WHY???? Anyhow, we had the last laugh. He left the video camera running and it captured his "performance" through the control room glass screen. I'm reliably informed by our guitarist that a clip will appear in the video of our studio session to be placed on Youtube. I'll post a link when it's done. Polly, you can PM me to get an early access code for a small fee!

... our singer was so pleased with his first take vocal he ran into the control room buck naked with only one of his socks to cover his gentlemans vegetables! ... He left the video camera running and it captured his "performance" through the control room glass screen. I'm reliably informed by our guitarist that a clip will appear in the video of our studio session to be placed on Youtube. I'll post a link when it's done. Polly, you can PM me to get an early access code for a small fee!

lol! This does, of course, beg the question as to why he was naked. I'm sure the answer will be illuminating?

Now, as for this access code, I don't buy cymbals blind and I'm not inclined to here. Please supply more info on the "product" - singer's age, body type, stomach dimensions and ... other information you believe is relevant for female viewers ...

I love it when you have the band recording as a group to capture the ambient stuff, but it's a bummer when someone loves their take and another is desperate to try again. Type 1 and 2 thing comes into play with this too.

Last edited:
Oh Larry, if only I had a whole day. 1st hour gratis for setup & mic placement then a 5 minute check. Everything recorded flat (I'm cool with that). Interesting to know where the term "stereotype" came from (probably showing my ignorance here). A slight off track but relevant, our singer was so pleased with his first take vocal he ran into the control room buck naked with only one of his socks to cover his gentlemans vegetables! Abe, oh sage one, think up a muso stereotype bracket for that!!! I'd just had my gormet lunch of pot noodle and (Kraft) cream egg too. WHY???? Anyhow, we had the last laugh. He left the video camera running and it captured his "performance" through the control room glass screen. I'm reliably informed by our guitarist that a clip will appear in the video of our studio session to be placed on Youtube. I'll post a link when it's done. Polly, you can PM me to get an early access code for a small fee!

He bothered with a sock, aye? Thats narcissism with a touch of endowment envy, perhaps... I'd love to see this performance.

lol! This does, of course, beg the question as to why he was naked. I'm sure the answer will be illuminating?

Now, as for this access code, I don't buy cymbals blind and I'm not inclined to here. Please supply more info on the "product" - singer's age, body type, stomach dimensions and ... other information you believe is relevant for female viewers ...

I love it when you have the band recording as a group to capture the ambient stuff, but it's a bummer when someone loves their take and another is desperate to try again. Type 1 and 2 thing comes into play with this too.
I truthfully have no idea why he did this. A total shock to all. He's known the keyboard player for some years and may have been trying to cheer him up/distract him. The keyboard player lost his mother suddenly, only a few days before the session. I honestly didn't think he'd make it but, to his credit, he did.

Anyhow Poll, as far as product details are concerned, I'm certainly not in/wouldn't want to be in a position to give exact specifications. The singer is 37, not exactly trim, hmmm difficult this. I'd keep your money in your pocket.

I truthfully have no idea why he did this. A total shock to all. He's known the keyboard player for some years and may have been trying to cheer him up/distract him. The keyboard player lost his mother suddenly, only a few days before the session. I honestly didn't think he'd make it but, to his credit, he did.

Anyhow Poll, as far as product details are concerned, I'm certainly not in/wouldn't want to be in a position to give exact specifications. The singer is 37, not exactly trim, hmmm difficult this. I'd keep your money in your pocket.

KIS, you don't work in sales, do you?

I do feel some investigation is required. The nakedness is eccentric enough but the sock is pure class. Damn, why are all the good ones overseas? :(

If your singer continues this mode of behaviour you guys might pick up enough notoriety to improve your fees ...

KIS, you don't work in sales, do you?

I do feel some investigation is required. The nakedness is eccentric enough but the sock is pure class. Damn, why are all the good ones overseas? :(

If your singer continues this mode of behaviour you guys might pick up enough notoriety to improve your fees ...
I'm banking on it! Now, the keyboard player really is eccentric. He revealed he'd have no problem wearing a "Mankini" at a gig. As he's well known for using vocal/choir type sounds, we suggested the addition of full size angel wings. Silver sparkle Mankini & angel wings! Now we're really into rock opera / The Tubes (one of my favorite bands) territory. Abe, you need to develop a much more expansive list than just type 1 or 2.

Could one not just be a 1 (hah) who tries to keep playing clean as possible & if necessary will re-do takes till they get it right? Without being a music Nazi?

Im like a responsible 1, if such a thing exists...

I fear I was going down the path of 3 (1+2) up until the point I finished my music tech. degree. Then I realized just cause I like John Coltrane and some other person likes...Aqua, or something equally banal; that I dont have any right to lecture them as to why they are making a huge 'mistake'.

I do still get annoyed by over-studied session-type (sorry, dont mean to pigeon-hole ya) musicians who dont factor in 'life experience' into playing, learning & performing & who cant grasp the idea of vibe, ambience, swagger & fluidity in playing over technical precision.
Even Chris Pennie from DEP (a band I definitely admire from afar but doesnt get much airplay on Radio Saif, with the exception of Calulating Infinity) says they were more concerned with getting the proper emotion conveyed, accuracy was secondary IF the emotion was missing. But they were going for both, as we all are...arent we?

This thread is getting even better!

KIS, if was in UK I would love to hear your band play. A rock solid band with a young star guitarist, a gorgeous set of cymbals AND all that idiocy. Too much fun :)

Great post, khanedeliac.

This thread is getting even better!

KIS, if was in UK I would love to hear your band play. A rock solid band with a young star guitarist, a gorgeous set of cymbals AND all that idiocy. Too much fun :)

Great post, khanedeliac.
The idiocy hasn't transferred to the stage show yet. We've only done three gigs and the band's show's pretty boring to date. Yea Abe, I love the whole rock opera thing too, especially with a sprinkling of debauchery! The Tubes shows of the late 70's & early 80's transformed my perception of a "good night out" kinda concert. Suddenly, a Deep Purple, Rainbow, etc rock god style show seemed very bland. A photo of Richie Blackmore, taken by a friend of mine, answering his hotel room door dressed in wynceyette pyjamas killed the mystique for me.

Back