Snare Drum made from Seamless Stainless Steel Pipe

Here is the shell. The ends were turned to 13.875" OD and a 45 degree bevel was machined in. I went ahead and had both ends beveled in the event I could not find a good deal on a pearl floater chassis, I will just drill this thing for snare hardware.

I will hopefully be picking this thing up next week!

Forgive the bad cellphone pic.

Last edited:
The ends were turned to 13.875" OD and a 45 degree bevel was machined in.

I will hopefully be picking this thing up next week!

So what's he middle of the shell measure O.D.? After hardware/strainer you could be looking at a 16" case/bag.

What kind of venting are you considering?

Attachments

• drum.png
    drum.png
    235.8 KB · Views: 837
Hey, that looks awesome! Definitely can't wait to see the finished product!

Have you calculated for Tension Rod Splay? With the Lugs on a circumference slightly greater than where the tension rod holes will be......
they might not align correctly.

It'll be fine John, the OP can just put a Ludwig badge on there and people will be falling over each other to buy them.

Given the size of that thing, he could probably put a Mapex badge on it (the one that looks like a WWE championship belt) and it would look proportional.

Looking forward to sound clips.

I think any old lugs that wouldn't splay with their gaskets on a normal shell will not splay on this without their gaskets.

If the free floating chassis cannot be obtained, I vote black tube lugs.

Have you calculated for Tension Rod Splay? With the Lugs on a circumference slightly greater than where the tension rod holes will be......
they might not align correctly.

I have not, although the threaded inserts in most lugs have enough play such that the slight increase in diameter won't affect anything especially since if I do drill this shell for lugs, I will be using longish tension rods which helps.

Well, there was a free floating chassis on ebay for $159 however it was a bare chassis with no snares, no hoops, no rods. For just $20 more there was a complete 14x5 snare. So now that is on the way. Luckily drumfactorydirect.com carries long enough tension rods to bridge the gap. Looks like this will go together quickly!

Oh what fun. I love when a project comes together.

Will you be leaving the shell with the brushed look or do something else to it?

I have just discovered wet sanding and now I want to polish all the aluminum in my house.

Well, I have the free floater from ebay. I also measured out and ordered some 6-5/8" tension rods. Looks next week I will have all this together.

Minor update. I have all that is needed to put this together tonight. I picked up the shell yesterday. Come to find out that this particular piece of pipe had more of an OD than originally thought so the shell is a little thicker.

I spent a little time cleaning the shell and running light sand paper over the bearing edges to smooth them out a little.

Like mentioned I have the longer tension rods and also picked up new heads (remo coated CS RD batter/ambassador hazy snare) along with some pure sound blaster wires.

Pics coming soon.

This project sounds a lot like a snare that I briefly played with; it was also made from a solid piece of steel pipe. It was one of the snares available in a studio where I recorded, but I ended up going with a Black Beauty on the advice of the producer.

I sort of regret it now, because it was an absolute beast of a snare. I believe it was made by Dunnett, and it was referred to as the "Terminator". I've tried looking for it online but never found any reference to it, so it might have been a one-off.

You can briefly hear it at 0:57 in this video, but as soon as it cuts to the next section it's been replaced by the Black Beauty.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aJ3ikNNbB3c

So anyway, what I'm trying to say is that this project sounds very cool and I look forward to hearing/seeing it :)

Here is a shot of the shell to get an idea of the thickness. Like said, it is a bit over 3/8" thick.

Here are some assembled shots:

In this shot you will also see my other 14x9.5 floater with an HHG 3/4" thick Maple and Walnut Stave shell.

The pipe snare sounds killer. It is full bodied with a nice crack and cut. The Remo Controlled Sound Reverse Dot Head has the perfect amount of ring. I made a short video that I will post soon.

Forgot to mention, the assembled pipe snare weighs 44 lbs. It is a beast for sure. Also, since I sit low on the kit, I had to shorten the snare stand you see pictured. All in all I am very happy with how this turned out!

That's amazing! 44 lbs, huh? Wow!

I can't wait to hear the video. Nice!!

Awesome! I'm excited to see the video! One of if not the best snare I ever played was a stainless dw; this thing's twice the size but I'm sure it sounds great.

I don't know if my kick drum and four toms combined are even 44 pounds.

Back