My final jazz drum set. Is it good? Anything i can improve on?

NotQuiteMyTempo

Hello there. After a lot of research and looking around I have finally found my jazz set up. Before I buy it I am posting it to get advice from you people. Is there anything that I should switch out, anything that I should add or pretty much your opinion on the set etc. Thanks in advance
NOTE: I know I cheaped out on some of the things. The reason for that is the set is going to cost me about 1,500 so yeah.
NOTE: The Reason I got so many things is because I recently sold my whole other set included The Hardware, Cymbals, shell pack etc.

Here it is:
1)Gibraltar 9608SFT Softy Drum Throne
2)Gretsch Catalina Club Jazz Shell Pack Drum Set - Gretsch Catalina Club Jazz Shell Pack Drum Set - Copper Sparkle
3)Remo Ambassador Clear Drum Head - 12" Remo Ambassador Clear Drum Head *Tom Bottem*
4)Remo Ambassador Clear Drum Head - 14" Remo Ambassador Clear Drum Head *Floor Tom Bottem*
5)Remo Ambassador Coated Drum Head - 12" Remo Ambassador Coated Drum Head *Tom Top*
6)Remo Ambassador Coated Drum Head - 14" Remo Ambassador Coated Drum Head *Floor Tom Top*
7)Remo Ambassador Coated Drum Head - 14" Remo Ambassador Coated Drum Head *Snare Top*
8)Remo Ambassador Hazy Snare Side Drum Head - 14″ Remo Ambassador Hazy Snare Side Drum Head *Snare Bottem*
9)Remo Powerstroke 3 Coated Bass Drum Head - 18" Remo Powerstroke 3 Coated Bass Drum Head *Bass Drum Batter*
10)Yamaha 700 Series Hardware Pack
11)Zildjian ZBT 3 Cymbal Pack Ride, Crash, Hi-Hat

One opinion here:

get the drums, throne, and hardware pack.

Hold off on the heads for a bit. And instead, put the money that you would use for the ZBT's and the heads towards something like this:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Zildjian-A3...ck-Premium-Used-Special-CYMA391-/171770835088

or try to find cymbals of that type used. Lots of other manufacturers and cymbals to choose from, but try to get the best cymbals you can.
You could also look for the drum set and hardware that you want, used. You'd probably save some money that way too.

Buy used cymbals as they become available and do not buy the ZBT's

Well, those ZBTs are not going to cut it. Personally, I would start over by getting some good cymbals, and then get whatever drums you can afford with what's left over. If you get used drums, you'll still be able to get everything you need for under $1000, probably. If you don't know what cymbals to get, just get a 20" K medium ride, a 16 or 18" A. Zil. thin crash, and some New Beat hihats, all used-- or their Sabian AA/HH equivalent. You should be able to get those for ~$325-400 total on eBay.

Another voice for different (better) cymbals.

If you are on a limited budget, follow toddbishop's advice; buy a used kit and spend more on better cymbals.

I hear those Zildjian Pitch Black cymbals make great jazz cymbals. The sensitivity and pure musicality of the black alloy is really second to none ;)

Well, those ZBTs are not going to cut it. Personally, I would start over by getting some good cymbals, and then get whatever drums you can afford with what's left over. If you get used drums, you'll still be able to get everything you need for under $1000, probably. If you don't know what cymbals to get, just get a 20" K medium ride, a 16 or 18" A. Zil. thin crash, and some New Beat hihats, all used-- or their Sabian AA/HH equivalent. You should be able to get those for ~$325-400 total on eBay.

This is great advice. Focus on cymbals first and you'll be happier with the overall sound. Buy used if possible and make your money go further.

Oh, and Just in case: Bo is joking. don't buy Pitch Blacks... !

Not sure what your budget is, but, as others have said, you want to pass on those ZBTs.

Also not sure what type of playing you'll be doing. Are you learning at home or actually gigging? If learning at home, I guess it is less relevant, but, out, those ZBTs won't fly.

If you have to do this in steps, I'd recommend - kit, cymbals, and definitely new heads last.

One more thing.

Many here will recommend that you buy the best kit possible.
I'm of the opinion that unless you are a professional in a recording studio, Many low end kits will do just fine - after putting good heads on.

I'd recommend to someone on a budget to: move some dollars from the kit to the cymbals.
The cymbals are the part you can't skimp on. You will get what you pay for with the cymbals.

There are a couple of low end jazz sized kits out there that include hardware. Kits that look and sound great.
That could possibly free up some dollars for the cymbals.

pearl-roadshow-4-piece-jazz-drum-set

J14668000001000-00-500x500.jpg

I have a ZBT ride, crash, and splash. The splash is OK I use it. I'd give you the other cymbals. I was thinking of putting rivets in them to see if that would help. I agree buy good cymbals-hi hats and a good ride that will crash too. Also a good snare is a must if the one with the shell pack is lacking.

If your looking to play jazz your cymbals are of utmost importance. That should be your priority, then drums, then hardware, then heads.

If your looking to play jazz your cymbals are of utmost importance. That should be your priority, then drums, then hardware, then heads.

Exactly.

Please don't be one of those guys that ignores the advice of everyone on the forum and buys crappy cymbals anyway.

Buy used! Save your money, spend a little time and look around your used market (Craigslist, Music Go Round, GC, etc) or eBay.

Just DO NOT get those ZBT cymbals! If you are taking this music thing seriously, do yourself a favor and get quality gear. That starts with cymbals. If you can, try as many as you can. It always helps to actually play the cymbals that are interested in using.

I love the Gretsch Catalinas, especially now with the new hardware and sizes. The snares really sound good in higher tunings, the one I had really opened up with a diplomat batter.

However, if that plan eats up your budget, ditch the kit and get better cymbals. I don't care what anyone says, ZBT's are flucking awful. If I were on a tight budget, I'd go for a dream ride/hat combo, especially for jazz.

1500 just for the drums?

At this point... for you? Bad idea. Really bad idea. Forget that idea. Not for Cat Clubs.

Try 600 for the drums and 900 for the cymbals, forget the ZBT's and get your new heads with that money.

It's just plain dumb to spend that money on Cat Clubs and then buy throw away cymbals. You're completely backwards. You came here for advice. If you don't use it, don't expect us to help you in the future. Listen to us now and forget this set.

Forget drums. Think cymbals. Get a great cymbal set first. Then get drums. Drums are easy, easy easy. Cymbals are a friggin PITA to get right. Don't buy a cymbal pack. Go around to the stores and get a great pair of hats, a great ride, and a great crash or 2. That's all you need for jazz.

If you're going to buy something throw away, make it the drums. I know that sounds wacky, but if you are looking for advice from people who have done what you are doing 25 times already, this is what you will hear. You can get stupid cheap drums that can be made to sound really great for a few hundred bucks.

Think cymbals first. Get that right first, because it's hard. Drums are a dime a dozen, and really easy to buy by comparison. Wait until a GREAT drum deal comes along to act. In the meantime, get your bronze together.

You live in Chicago!.... which I would think is a haven for good used cymbals and drums.
All you need are nice used hats, 2 nice cymbals, try them out at stores but BUY them used.

Hello there. After a lot of research and looking around I have finally found my jazz set up. Before I buy it I am posting it to get advice from you people. Is there anything that I should switch out, anything that I should add or pretty much your opinion on the set etc. Thanks in advance
NOTE: I know I cheaped out on some of the things. The reason for that is the set is going to cost me about 1,500 so yeah.
NOTE: The Reason I got so many things is because I recently sold my whole other set included The Hardware, Cymbals, shell pack etc.

Here it is:
1)Gibraltar 9608SFT Softy Drum Throne
2)Gretsch Catalina Club Jazz Shell Pack Drum Set - Gretsch Catalina Club Jazz Shell Pack Drum Set - Copper Sparkle
3)Remo Ambassador Clear Drum Head - 12" Remo Ambassador Clear Drum Head *Tom Bottem*
4)Remo Ambassador Clear Drum Head - 14" Remo Ambassador Clear Drum Head *Floor Tom Bottem*
5)Remo Ambassador Coated Drum Head - 12" Remo Ambassador Coated Drum Head *Tom Top*
6)Remo Ambassador Coated Drum Head - 14" Remo Ambassador Coated Drum Head *Floor Tom Top*
7)Remo Ambassador Coated Drum Head - 14" Remo Ambassador Coated Drum Head *Snare Top*
8)Remo Ambassador Hazy Snare Side Drum Head - 14″ Remo Ambassador Hazy Snare Side Drum Head *Snare Bottem*
9)Remo Powerstroke 3 Coated Bass Drum Head - 18" Remo Powerstroke 3 Coated Bass Drum Head *Bass Drum Batter*
10)Yamaha 700 Series Hardware Pack
11)Zildjian ZBT 3 Cymbal Pack Ride, Crash, Hi-Hat

$1500 for a Cat Jazz kit? That is insane. $600. Tops. and that's new! If someone pitched you $1500 for a Cat jazz you are being conned.

Fr jazz especially cymbals are your priority. You should be able to get a great set of hats and a ride for $500 used. Probably less. $175 for a crash.

I would recommend Sonor's "Player" kit for a great drum set for not much money.

I have a set of these and the drums would be GREAT for what you want. You can get this set brand new for less than 450. The drums sound really, really great. They look badass too. $450 is all you need to shell out for drums (see what I did there?)

Players drums are not throw aways at all. But they are priced so great, and they sound so satisfying, that in your case (wanting a jazz set) this would be a great way to go. I know your heart is set on drums (see what I did there?) so if you get these, I know you'll be happy, we'll all be happy because you didn't blow your wad on a bad deal. I really, really dig my Sonor Players kit. The toms sing, the floor tom is especially satisfying, as is the kick drum. For the price paid, I give them a 9.5 out of 10.

A Cat Club for 1500? For 3 drums?....don't be a sucker. Worst deal I ever heard of. OK you get some hardware and a throne. Still an awful deal. That's about 1000 dollars over what you should pay for them.

Back