Bizare Ludwig Shell, help!

The Prof

Hey everyone,

I bought a 10" tom off of eBay recently to match my existing Ludwig kit. The exterior mahogany finish looks the same as my existing kit, however there are some features that seem slightly bizarre about the shell - hopefully some of you can give me your knowledgeable input :)

The badge is the same as the badge on my existing shells except is a Monroe and not a Chicago - I think the badge designates a Classic Maple? As you can see from where the tom mount was it was a modular mount, same as my other shells - so far so good.

Where things get slightly bizarre are when you get inside the shell. The interior of the shell is stained the same color as the outside, which I have never seen before - possible special request at the factory or home job? Additionally, the ply colors look very strange. It is 6 ply as expected, but three of the plies (inside outside and center) are a darker almost red color - in fact basically the same as the color of the shell, which I always assumed was a stain.

SO are there actually mahogany plies on the inside, outside and center or is something else going on? I don't remember my other shells being like that. Also, where the mount was, and underneath the rims when you take them off, on the outside of the shell, is SHINY like it has a gloss, which also seems a bit bizarre - or is it just me?

Input appreciated, thanks!

Attachments

• WIN_20150415_211416 (2).JPG
    WIN_20150415_211416 (2).JPG
    139.3 KB · Views: 278
  • WIN_20150415_211334 (2).JPG
    WIN_20150415_211334 (2).JPG
    65.2 KB · Views: 268
  • WIN_20150415_211406 (2).JPG
    WIN_20150415_211406 (2).JPG
    108.9 KB · Views: 267
  • WIN_20150415_211344 (2).JPG
    WIN_20150415_211344 (2).JPG
    79 KB · Views: 269
Looks like mahogany inside and out and another ply of mahogany in the middle, and something else for the other 3 plys. It's darker. Possibly walnut?! It looks like a homemade finish, like someone poly'd it. Is that drum's tone super warm?

Hey just so long as it sounds like it belongs with the rest of your drums, I think you're good!

A friend of mine bought a Ludwig NAMM kit from the mid-80s, and his insides were finished too, so I'm not sure if your is a home-made job.

Yep I guess you are right :) I haven't actually played it yet as I just got it tonight, will have to wait for the weekend for that. Not sure if it's super warm but won't mind if it is! Would be really interested to know what the ply makeup is and if it was factory finished on the inside.

It also came with a Remo Starfire head, which I'd never seen before. Kind of blew my mind!

I remember the 4-ply Super Classics of the late 1980's-early 1990's were stained, and clearly visible in a Ludwig ad in Modern Drummer magazine at the time. I actually sat-in on a mahogany stained set like this in a club back around that time. The badges, as you might know, can be printed at one point in time, and actually placed onto a drum during a much later production run. I don't see your drum being all that unusual.

I remember the 4-ply Super Classics of the late 1980's-early 1990's were stained, and clearly visible in a Ludwig ad in Modern Drummer magazine at the time. I actually sat-in on a mahogany stained set like this in a club back around that time. The badges, as you might know, can be printed at one point in time, and actually placed onto a drum during a much later production run. I don't see your drum being all that unusual.

I tend to agree.

I vaguely recall Yamaha went through a period on the Recording custom of staining the inside the same as the outside, and Ludwig copied that in certain finishes for a short period time.

EDIT: in this catalog from 1988, you can see the Super Classic shell is stained on the interior to differentiate itself from the classic.
http://www.drumarchive.com/ludwig/1988_LUDWIG.pdf

Cool thanks for the replies! I guess that staining the interior is something that was done then, still a bit weird as these are six ply and not four so presumably not Super Classics. I'm also still confused by the ply makeup, but no matter as long as it sounds good then all is well :)

Another possibility is that a prior owner stained the inside. Looks like the bearing edge is also stained. 6 ply shells were maple/poplar. Both light colored woods. Looking at the holes for the modular mount, that's what it looks like you have. Here's a basic Ludwig drum shell timeline .... http://www.ludwig-drums.com/woodshellguide.php

I have a set of early 90's Ludwigs that I bought new at a small music store. They were special ordered and the customer could not pay for them after they came in. I was told they were Super Classics. The interior is stained and the bearing edges are also stained. I believe it was custom ordered because it is in odd sizes 12-13- deep toms with a 16 floor and a 20" bass drum. All modular mounts. They have thin Monroe keystone badges,

I thought it odd that the bearing edges were stained, but they are smooth, the drums sound great, but the set looks a bit odd with the big toms and small bass drum.

Back