My Kit Build Begins!

LOVE the other photos, and would appreciate seeing more of your visit if you are so inclined. You did some very nice photography.

You're too kind. They're only point and shoot shots, some from my iPhone.

Blue Mosque Interior by grimsbytog, on Flickr

Grand Bazaar Pots by grimsbytog, on Flickr

Oh and here's another pair of cymbals bought for me by my colleagues just in case I didn't get any.

Tiny Cymbals by grimsbytog, on Flickr

:D

Thanks again to one and all for your words of support and guidance.

Back in Blighty for a few days. Just made a cheeky offer on a kit. Don't suppose it'll be accepted but you never know. :D

My Sultans made the trip home ok too. Put the hi hats and crash into my luggage and hand carried the ride. Nobody from the airline even commented on the 20" bag I was carrying. :D

Awesome pics Mart, nice little cymbals, too. Although they might look a bit odd if you want to mount them on a cymbal stand.

.... these were the ones I fell in love with. To my untrained ears they sounded great.

They are Istanbul Mehmet Sultans and I ended up getting them in set form and they are a 20" ride, 16" crash and 14" hi hats. The set cost me around £245.
You did good. Found the cymbals you liked best.​

Thanks guys. Alas my cheeky bid on a kit failed. Fear not, I'm off to Manchester Drum Centre tomorrow or Tuesday. Will I come home empty handed? Well that remains to be seen. :)

My Sultans made the trip home ok too. Put the hi hats and crash into my luggage and hand carried the ride. Nobody from the airline even commented on the 20" bag I was carrying. :D

Phew, that's good! I've been told that cymbals don't always travel well because they're sensitive to the cold, but yours were evidently well wrapped-up. Never having even made it as far as England with mine (about 10 miles away, if that), I wouldn't know.

Fear not, I'm off to Manchester Drum Centre tomorrow or Tuesday. Will I come home empty handed? Well that remains to be seen. :)

Oh gosh, I wonder.

I think you should also buy Mrs Mart a horse, if she doesn't already have at least one. There's nothing else I know of that is equally absorbing/demanding. If she has one/several, she won't even notice that you're drumming. I have just realised exactly where I've been going wrong all these years.

Thanks Madge. The Sultans appear unscathed. The ones in the hold were buried deep inside the centre of my suitcases. The ride was in a nice warm cabin with me.

Not sure how my wife would take to a horse. I'll suggest it tho. :D

MDC has the Yamaha Stage Customs and Mapex Mars kits set up in store so I'll be sure to have a go on both sets. Alas I don't think they have the colours I want in stock tho.

Not sure how my wife would take to a horse. I'll suggest it tho. :D

MDC has the Yamaha Stage Customs and Mapex Mars kits set up in store so I'll be sure to have a go on both sets. Alas I don't think they have the colours I want in stock tho.

Re horse: I have the very one, and I'll give you a good price!

Re kits: leave your eyes at home. If it sounds good - and by all accounts, you have good ears - and it feels good, you can wait for the finish you want.

I been a naughty boy. Was going for natural wood but fell in love with this one:

http://flic.kr/p/rPHTnU

Yeah, I know, it's white but it sounded great and screamed "Buy me!"

Collect it tomorrow lunchtime. It's just the 5 piece excluding the 8" Tom pictured.

Last edited:
Nice pick, Mart. There's nothing wrong with white (in my eyes anyway). They look good, and if your ears think they're good, then you made the right choice.

My dream kit is white.

324013.jpg

Someday.

Oh well done there - congratulations! The arctic white Finish Yamaha is doing on their Hybrid Maple series is awesome. I'm also a fan of Gretsch's "aged" white finishes. I'm a Yamaha fan so I think you've chosen very well!

Thanks for your kind words guys. Can't wait to get them home. I'm heading back to Istanbul on Wednesday and may wait until I come home to build the kit. How long is that wait going to seem?

I like how you picked up the cymbals first, and in Istanbul no less. Solid choice on the drums as well. Best of all is that you bought everything based on what you thought sounded best. I think you're going to have yourself a very nice drum kit.

I have never owned one, but one cannot really go wrong with Yamaha. Enjoy!

Nice kit. I'd go back and get the 8, and maybe a 16 while I had the chance.

It's a bummer they changed the stands to double braced though.

Back