THE DRUMMING DICTIONARY.

I don't know about the transposing thing, but that's right sniz (at least as I understand it)

Syncopation’s more about the emphasis of a note in an unexpected place (which can be a down beat, actually) and it can also be done by not playing a note where you'd expect one (at least as I understand it). But, unless you're describing the specific situation of reggae -which the word syncopation is often used to describe in an arguably inaccurate way, syncopation doesn't imply a regular pulse like you're showing, J, but part of a phrase that's used to contrast the beat.

Think about funk.

The beat, or pulse of the music is:

"ONE . . . TWO . . . THREE . . . FOUR . . . " ...etc

you might play something like:

"ONE . . . TWO . . . THREE . . DUH . . AND . . . . . TWO . . . THREE" ...etc

so, it's not so much thinking "one AND two AND..." as it is thinking about combinations or phrases that put the accent in an unexpected place. A good reference for developing the ability to do this (aside from going to the source and listening to music) is (big surprise) Ted Reed's Progressive Steps to Syncopation.

hope this helps!

A sax player is going to disagree with you. I also think a lick and a fill are different animals.

so in other words, a lick is just another way of saying a kick ass fill. cool thanks.

Thought this question would fit in the dictionary.

I´ve always been a bit puzzled about the difference between independence and INTERdependence...
To me it sounds like to words for the same thing?

Anyone feel like explaining the diff?

Thanks

Independence is the complete coordination of each limb individually. EX: You can do 3 with your right foot, 4 with your right hand 6 with your left foot and 2 with your left hand.

Interdependence is when you can only do like 1234 with each limb because they depend on each other's motions. When you can not do a 3 over 4 polyrythm with your right hand and right foot because they move together.

Hope that makes sense.

I think I get it...
So interdependence is more like the limbs working together and independence is the limbs working independently?

Independence is the complete coordination of each limb individually. EX: You can do 3 with your right foot, 4 with your right hand 6 with your left foot and 2 with your left hand.

Interdependence is when you can only do like 1234 with each limb because they depend on each other's motions. When you can not do a 3 over 4 polyrythm with your right hand and right foot because they move together.

I think your examples are a bit flawed: polyrhythms can certainly be played interdependantly. The difference is in the train of thought: independence would have you think about and play four separate and individual things, whereas interdependence sees the polyrhythm (or any phrase) as a single unit created by different limbs' co-ordinated movements.

Got another question.
Feel free to kick and scream when my questions get annoying! =)
Anyone got a good definition of the term "beat displacement"?

And one more. =)
Could anyone give me an explanation of the difference between a hoop and a rim?
To me it sounds like two words for the same thing?

I've been wondering for a while...
<dumb question> What does "twenty characters" mean here on the forum? </dumb question>

I've been wondering for a while...
<dumb question> What does "twenty characters" mean here on the forum? </dumb question>

You cannot submit a post that is shorter than twenty characters. The 202020-stuff is used as a filler for those short and to the point replies. Try it out: just attempt to reply with a simple "Ok" and you'll see what I mean.

well I tried to simply reply with "LoL" and that didn't work indeed... haha! Thanks!

might sound like a stupid question but what exactly is a snare bed? can someone post a picture?
thanks

Google images is your friend :)

oaksnarebed67.jpg

Its pretty much a curve in the bearing edge to allow the snares to fit.

Could someone please tell me what a triple flanged hoop is? From what I have gathered it is where the edge of a hoop is bent away from the drum.

Correct?

That's a good question. I only count two flanges: One around the top rim of the hoop, which your stick hits in rimshots; and the second flange, which has holes drilled in it for the tuning bolts. Am I missing something?

Back