So Tama Try and tell me I can't have an Iron Cobra Remote Hi-Hat, HA!

lo0n

I bought a Pearl Eliminator Remote Hi-Hat in mint condition from a guy locally for $60.00. I searched ebay for a cheap iron cobra single pedal. I did find an auction for just an iron cobra foot board. I wound up winning the auction for a total price of $8.00 shipped. I had seen a posting on PDF where a guy converted a pearl remote hat with a single pedal by changing the sprocket assembly. I only had a footboard and it doesn't really line up properly. I went to my local hardware store and purchased a file and some screws for $12.00. I spent around 2 hours filing and then filing some more, did a bit of drilling and sweating and wondering if I was nuts for attempting this but persistence pays off in the end...

ironcobraremote.jpg

It probably took me around 2 hours total to complete the project. It was very time consuming doing the filing of the iron cobra footboard to allow the joining of the Pearl Chain to the footboard. I did a little bit at a time to make sure I didn't take away too much material. The final process was to line up the existing threaded holes on the bottom of the iron cobra and drill holes to allow the screws to line up properly.

looks great but definatly needs a percussion pedal in there :p

You get 1,000 internetz for sticking it to the man.

Rebel against the drum companies!

Very innovative! Good for you for having such perseverance, I know I would've gotten half way through and given up. lol.

I'd love to see pictures of it with you're kit!

-Jonathan

I approached Tama several years ago with the idea of an updated Iron Cobra version of their now-discontinued remote hi-hat pedal. I received an automated response assuring me my idea would be given its due consideration, but I have yet to see anything come of it. I applaud you ingenuity, lo0n!

Unfortunately, I don't think they will. One of their more well known endorsers Kenny Aronoff uses a Tama remote HH but they won't even make one at his request. At least when he was in town doing a clinic last year that's what he had told me. He was using a very old one instead. However, I've since seen in a photo he has one that has an "Iron Cobra Jr." Pedal board on it, so maybeeeee it's a proto-type, or he may have just replaced the old silver style foot board on the one he was using.

Back