Post Your Greatest Weakness ?

How many of you drummers play double bass ?

• Total voters
it doesn't happen TOO often, but sometimes girls come behind the kit and try and sit in my lap and stuff like that. I always start screwing up and stupid stuff like that, not paying attention. Its not really a bad problem per say, but its definately a weakness

I have big problems learning new techniques as the moeller, one-handed roll and heel/toe. Read notes and actually know where I am if I'm going to play more than a page. I'm do not have enough diciplin, I often sit on my MAC too long and hanging with friends many hours after school. But at the same time I think it's good that I'm not perfect, because if I would go home and not sit by my computer and just practice, I would become a nerd. Than I would maybe loose my friends and get an outsider and get unhappy. My parents are professional cellists, and my mom told me that when she was at my age (14) until she was about 19 she practiced all day and had no contact with other people and she became a nerd. She says that that was the worst period of her life. So I think it's important to do other things as well, such that you get developed as a human. And it's often that I have travelled to other countries and experienced new things and seen new stuff and got to know new people, and that also gives inspiration to my playing. And I'm not saying that you should stop practicing, as I said, I should practice more, anyway. But I don't think that you should practice so much that you're breaking all connection to friends and family.

Timing, Balance, Double Bass, Iinnddeeppeennddaannccee, Right Hand Moeller, Left Hand Moeller, Right Hand Fingers, Left Hand Fingers, Right Hand Push/Pull, Left Hand Push/Pull, Right Foot Heel/Toe, Right Hand Heel/Toe, Left Foot Heel/Toe, Right Foot Heel Down, Right Foot Heel Up, Left Foot Heel Down, Left Foot Heel Up, Practice Time, Anger Issues, Polyrhythms, Linear Patterns, *Feel*, Grooving, Playing what fits the song, Big Ego, Obnoxiousness, Accuracy, Movement Around the Kit, Relying on Cliche's, Trying to be inventive and failing, slutty girlfriend who doesn't care about me, and a grumpy dog.

And I don't even play the drums, I'm 4 years old and just come in here to piss you guys off!! I know you love me...

math_metal_182 said:
Timing, Balance, Double Bass, Iinnddeeppeennddaannccee, Right Hand Moeller, Left Hand Moeller, Right Hand Fingers, Left Hand Fingers, Right Hand Push/Pull, Left Hand Push/Pull, Right Foot Heel/Toe, Right Hand Heel/Toe, Left Foot Heel/Toe, Right Foot Heel Down, Right Foot Heel Up, Left Foot Heel Down, Left Foot Heel Up, Practice Time, Anger Issues, Polyrhythms, Linear Patterns, *Feel*, Grooving, Playing what fits the song, Big Ego, Obnoxiousness, Accuracy, Movement Around the Kit, Relying on Cliche's, Trying to be inventive and failing, slutty girlfriend who doesn't care about me, and a grumpy dog.

You missed a few, I think...

Double bass playing. I've never been able to do it and probably never will. But it's never been required (or wanted) for any band that I've ever been in. Something like that can lower your motivation to really work on it. I love hearing drummers play cool double bass stuff but I guess that is were it ends for me. But never say never...

Shuffle Shuffle Shuffle just won't fit in my pocket just yet, it's coming along though, the more I relax and switch off to my surroundings the easier it starts to get, but then I realise what I'm trying to achieve and it goes out the window quicker than that dog chasing a ball in something about mary... need to conquer this one for a couple of songs were going to start working on in a week or two

I'm lefty but I play righty so im stronger with my right hand from playing the hi hat or ride, but my left hand has more stick control and I can play Moeller a lot easier (since better stick control). This problem also causes me to drop my right stick a lot.

That's easy. Switching my LF from HH to BD smoothly while playing. I can play some pretty fast double bd patterns and my feet fairly fast but I have a hard time switching from keeping time with my LF on the HH to going straight into a dbl db pattern. It's all in my head though.....

help.. ='(

im a girl and im only 14..bass pedal is difficult for me in drums..like double bass..
i want to be a pro drummer.. drums is my passion..since when i was a kid a want to be a drummer... i know how to play drums but im not so good with it..can u please help me?? pls

Re: help.. ='(

thousandtears said:
im a girl and im only 14..
i want to be a pro drummer.. drums is my passion..since when i was a kid a want to be a drummer... i know how to play drums but im not so good with it..can u please help me?? pls

In my eyes...you are already a professional, and "Thousandtears", hate to be the one to tell you...but your still a kid..so enjoy these years, and don't miss out on anything because of this instrument

You have already helped yourself with your insight & personality...you know your passion, you set your goals & are dedicated to improve just by being here seeking help because you realize your weaknesses need to be strengthened in order to accomplish your destiny. That is the definition of a professional. If you could put that in a bottle & sell it..

I hope all of the drummers here read your post & help you with their experience, ideas, tips and knowlege for you to grow as a drummer & give you confidence & support...my only advice to you is to find a great drum instructor in your area, join the school band, or even better yet if there is a drum corps in your area, join it..it's the best & you'll meet a ton of friends around the world.

Good Luck..I'll keep in touch with more..Lee

Too many to mention....but since I have to choose I would say rudiments. I have been working very hard on them for the past 6 months, but I'm 45 now and never paid any attention to them when I was younger.

More recently I would have to say motivation. I took a summer break from lessons and I've found myself getting lazy. Funny thing is I still work on the practice pad like a madman but getting motivated to sit down behind the kit and practice has been a chore lately.

for motivation.. i often find that watching videos or something really creative helps me to want to play.. you need to find those few magic videos that work for you and watch before you practice for that extra zing

beatsMcGee said:
for motivation.. i often find that watching videos or something really creative helps me to want to play.. you need to find those few magic videos that work for you and watch before you practice for that extra zing

i'm the exact same way and just experienced this haha. i was watching some

drummerworld videos in the clinic section and then... boom i was on my kit for half an

hour. although watching stuff like gadd doesn't motivate me haha. it brings my drumming

self esteem down a bit.

I think my greatest weakness is lack of knowledge in anything other then classic rock music. I don't really expand my horizons. I sometimes go into Funk or Jazz, but mostly rock.

radiofriendlyunitshifter said:
i'm the exact same way and just experienced this haha. i was watching some

drummerworld videos in the clinic section and then... boom i was on my kit for half an

hour. although watching stuff like gadd doesn't motivate me haha. it brings my drumming

self esteem down a bit.

it shouldnt bring you down, but give you ideas and such to run off to the kit with.. well that is what it does for me.. i just would love to have a pc or tv in my storage unit so i can watch stuff then try it... i tend to forget what i came there to practice haha

I went through these posts & 75% of the weaknesses listed boil down to basically 4-5 common problems so far.

Left Hand & Foot Problems listed are weak, uncoordinated, slow & sloppy
A: Well we all either still have or had this problem...for some it will never get better...I think practicing differant hand to hand sticking patterns with "Accents" placed on both hands in differant parts of the rythm will help this problem.

Another suggestion is to really feel every muscle & bone in your arm, wrist, hand & fingers when hitting with your Right hand, llok at all the these parts of your arm & see exactly what they are doing...then go to your Left & see if you can notice anything that looks or feels differant & you try & fix it by making it do exactly what you right hand is doing.

Rudiments & Reading One can help the other, you'll never learn new rudiments & rythms if you don't buy a book !!!...Most all books will give you a Staff Key and a Note chart including rests with step by step instructions on how to approach the lesson.

Drums are problably the easiest of all instruments to learn how to read notation...quickly you only have a Right & Left hand & foot to deal with, no fingering positions or chord progresions etc...etc...then you just deal with placement of 1/4 - 1/8th - 1/16th - 32nd & 64th notes & rests...

Double Bass Listed are coordination, speed & control
A: I was surprised how many drummers want to be great at playing double bass...I actually have a DvD entitled Hand & Foot combinations with 1/4, 1/8th & 1/16th notes on the Bass drums with rudiments around the kit.

If you go to the Wishlist here on Drummerworld.com under "M" Lee Mangano you can click my website & view the "Free Download Lesson" and there is a Double bass exercise in 3 seperate levels...60 BPM - 100 BPM - 120 BPM..

Practicing Listed is concentration, lack of, it's an effort, no inspiration
A: I was surprised how many drummers were honest enough to even mention they weren't practicing enough etc...I bow to your honesty but have to question how important are the drums & music really to you...and what level do you really want to reach as far as goals & achievments & or accomplishments ? Thats all up to you....no one esle can answer that question for you...

See all the problems listed above & in all these posts.....Practice is the "ONLY way you will conquor these problems & solve your weaknesses...unless you are a natural prodegy

Peace! & have a "Great" day...Lee

Back