Pearl Reference Series Review - does anyone think this is real?

You are right Aeolian, I smell a set up.
I keep on waiting for the hoax to be shown to us.

I was kind of thinking the same thing. If you can stomach following the link. he has about 30 videos, most of which involve Rock Band or Xbox. I would guess that he learned to tune and play from playing Rock Band.

Dear god, that snare sounds like an elephant being slapped against a wooden wall.

Don't make fun of his snare. He said he is a pro drummer so he MUST have it tuned right. He couldn't have lied about that.

Really how do you get a nice dw snare to sound so bad? How is he not ashamed of that???

I was kind of thinking the same thing. If you can stomach following the link. he has about 30 videos, most of which involve Rock Band or Xbox. I would guess that he learned to tune and play from playing Rock Band.
Oh, thats what the trip is, He is a Rock Band drummer with rich parents who bought him the Pearl kit.
He really thinks that he can play because he is lost in, "gameland"
He hits on center on the acoustic kit because the game kit has small targets.

Yes the guy in the video got a good deal on the set, but then spent a lot more getting extra toms.

He got an extra 10 tom. He say's "... this thing it like $500 of tom and...", he didn't say he paid $500 for it tho. It probably MSRP'S for around $500. Its almost certain FRED PIERCE cut him a deal on the 10 for buying the kit.

So a 5 piece PEARL REFERENCE kit for under $2k, he's excited, wanted to make a video.

Understandable, you see posts similar to this all the time here on DRUMMERWORLD.

What a hilarious person.

If he's serious he's just plain cute, and if he's trolling, he's very good.

I love the part at 4:30 about the hhx being made by humans, not computers!

Jeez, I could give the kid a little slack but this guy posing as a professional drummer is an absolute joke. An insult to drum teachers everywhere.

I actually got pissed off after watching that.
I echo that Jeff. Ok, we can all laugh at the terrible state of that kid's nice kit, but he's happy & enthusiastic in his innocence, so all's good, but that "professional", really, I mean really? Where's the content? Is he suffering from delusions of grandeur? Hell, even I could put up something more wholesome than that, but wouldn't dream of misrepresenting my status. I am what I am, & happy in my shell. What is it with some people? Feeling the need to grossly inflate themselves is just the most pathetic display of insecurity imaginable. Even that I don't have an issue with. Kinda - "get on with it if you really must" - (i.e. Wailin Smash), but when such a crock of shit purports to be instructional, & garners credibility because "it must be right because a professional said so", I cry at the thought of impressionable players starting off & being influenced by this. He even panders to the well known desire for faster = better. WTF!!!!!

Sorry, mini rant over with. I'm preparing for tonight's gig some distance away. When I get there, I might just try to convince my band that faster = better. I'm sure they'll welcome such valuable input, then immediately place a "drummer wanted" ad in the morning!

Exactly, Jeff and KIS,
There is 0 educational content in those drumming videos.
It made me angry to watch them.

A guy with mild learning disabilities and your all taking it out of him.

Well done guys.

A guy with mild learning disabilities and your all taking it out of him.

Well done guys.

I wouldn't go as far as to say the person in the vid has a mild learning disability, no more than any of the people posting criticizing stuff about him anyway.

People are conditioned by society (the media) to only accept certain personalities.

Lets have everyone on DW video their kits with a smart phone so we can criticize how they sound, how they're tuned and how their speaking voice sounds.

Lets have everyone on DW video their kits with a smart phone so we can criticize how they sound, how they're tuned and how their speaking voice sounds.

Cool idea Les... You start... Upload a vid of you describing your kit, deal?

Its almost certain FRED PIERCE cut him a deal on the 10 for buying the kit. ...

I could only make it like 4 minutes into the video before shutting it off, but did he say he bought the kit from Fred Pierce? That's a local shop here (St Louis) and I was surprised to see you mention it.

I will admit that these videos sure do make me more confident in my own abilities. I mean, really?

I, for one love and encourage these youngsters to have nothing but the finest instruments and equipment available. Nothing but the latest and greatest!

...Because you can bet your sweet tushy that sweet gear will be up on Craigslist in a year. Fire sale, boys and girls!

I, for one love and encourage these youngsters to have nothing but the finest instruments and equipment available. Nothing but the latest and greatest!

...Because you can bet your sweet tushy that sweet gear will be up on Craigslist in a year. Fire sale, boys and girls!

Haha, That has to be one of the best comments on this thread

I could only make it like 4 minutes into the video before shutting it off, but did he say he bought the kit from Fred Pierce? That's a local shop here (St Louis) and I was surprised to see you mention it.

I will admit that these videos sure do make me more confident in my own abilities. I mean, really?

I have known Fred for 40 years he is a good friend of mine he has got to see this video. emailing him the link right now .

Back