Drummer Mike Johnston Pioneers Online Drum Teaching

Scott K Fish

Silver Member
Mike Johnston marches to his own drum in the online education industry
October 10, 2014 by Kate Brosseau

Screen-Shot-2014-10-10-at-2.29.27-PM.png

Mike Johnston brought the beat to Big Kansas City with a live demo of just how legit a drummer he is. Johnston started playing the drums when he was five, and with drumming instructors such as Pete Magadini and Steve Ferrone, he was sure to get the hang of it.

However, the thrill of performing in front of 20,000 fans eluded him....

“I realized that just because [performing] is the world’s dream for me, doesn’t mean it’s my dream,” Johnston said. “I got my thrill from teaching, not playing in front of people, so I quit to teach private drum lessons.”

He began teaching at music stores, but...decided [to] put drum lessons on YouTube. After three years of building credibility through social media, Johnston launched MikesLessons.com to provide live and recorded lessons, making it the most successful educational site in the world.

“I spent three years on YouTube and social media to build trust, and I didn’t charge anything for it,” he said. “I was waiting for organic marketing to take place, and as soon as people started asking for more, I knew that was the time to direct them to MikesLessons.com.”

Remember the “I Wish” Principle

“The moment you say ‘I wish’ out loud, you need to act,” Johnston said. “If you’re wishing for something to exist then there’s a good chance others are wishing for it too.”

Full Story

Scott K Fish: Life Beyond the Cymbals

I saw Mike do a clinic a few years ago at Sam Ash in Phoenix, and enjoyed it immensely. He conveyed concepts well, and can definitely play in order to demonstrate them!

He also gave away some nice prizes afterward, I came from the farthest distance (375mi or so) so I won the grand prize, a Meinl Classics 18" Crash. I seem to win cymbals when I enter the drawings (and the stores always insist I enter...) and always feel weird about that. I won a Sabian cymbal at a clinic in Montreal, and gave it to a young student instead of taking it. At Mike's clinic, based on my relationship with Meinl, I cheerfully took the cymbal!

Bermuda

I seem to win cymbals when I enter the drawings (and the stores always insist I enter...) and always feel weird about that.

Bermuda

Because you already have hundreds of them? lol (just kidding really).

I find Mike to be an exceptionally positive person. It is refreshing.

Back