My gear - any opinions?

spenserforwood

Hey guys, this is my first post on drummerworld so I thought I'd post some pictures of my kit and see if I could get some of your opinions.
I use Tama drums, (all swingstar, except the 14" floor tom, which is superstar), dw7000 double pedal, and a slightly less than modest cymbal collection (14" Z custom hats, 18" Sabian AAX-plosion crash, 16" Avedis crash, 10" Avedis splash, 20" K custom dark ride, 20" A custom ride [mostly used as a crash], and a china-splash stack using a 12" Wuhan china and my old 10" B8 splash. The cowbell that you see here is the LP Aspire.
My practice kit is the DW smart practice that I bought off of a friend for only $20. I usually just use my pedal from my main kit when practicing. I also have a Hanzenfuts pedal set up as a pretend hi hat pedal. I managed to make an attached "music stand" using some extra drum hardware, an extra stick, some cardboard, and a lot of duct tape.
Any feedback would be much appreciated, whether it be advice, criticism, or other. Also, please check out my band The Vitals at www.facebook.com/vitalsmusic

Attachments

• mms_picture(1).jpg
    mms_picture(1).jpg
    281.9 KB · Views: 360
  • mms_picture(2).jpg
    mms_picture(2).jpg
    260.9 KB · Views: 349
  • mms_picture(3).jpg
    mms_picture(3).jpg
    231.9 KB · Views: 353
Last edited:
Who is one man to tell another how to set up a drum set ? That being said, two crash cymbals to the left seems unnecessary. A drum set should have range, but it should also be as compact as possible, IMO. Now that I'm in my 40s, I want light hardware, and only the necessary number of stands. That means one ride and two crash stands. Any splash or effect attaches to a mini-boom off of one the main stands. Pearl makes these light-weight double-braced stands which I love. I like your set-up overall.

Thanks for your opinion! I actually had a set of roto toms on the stand with the 18" crash, but I never used them, so I put the crash on instead. I definitely understand where you're coming from when you say you want it to be as compact as possible. When I take my kit out to gigs, I only use the 4 piece, with one crash and two rides. Also this is a room completely dedicated to my music in my parents house, so space isn't really that much of an issue here.

As long as your happy with your setup.. who cares what anybody else thinks! Personally i think it's setup just fine.

I like the idea of haveing the B8 Splash flipped over on the 12" Wuhan. I have both of those cymbals at home. Both have been sitting in the top of my closet for years without being played. I may get them out tonight and try that little trick and see if i like it. Something different to hit would be welcome at this point. lol

Again, nice setup and welcome to DW!!!

Your 10 or 12 tom head might be loose, press down on it, if it wrinkles at the edge it needs tightened

looks like a fun kit, specialy since ya got the dbl bass setup!!! i have not had the opportunity yet to try one out.
i bet it sounds as good as it looks.

Well....i tried the B8 splash over the 12" Wuhan. Didn't like it. Back in the closet they go! lol

Yea it's a very trashy combination, definitely not for everybody. I actually got the inspiration for it watching some gospel chops videos on youtube, and realized that I could pull it off with some extra cymbals I had. It's good for syncopated accents here and there, but not much else.

Back