Gavin Harrison here!

Hey Gavin,

Before my question, I would just like to say how appreciate both I am and this forum are for you taking the time to check out and answer all of our question. Thank you.

Now for my question: What would kind of exercises do you recommend to one who is trying to get better with polyrythms and beat displacement? I've been trying to improve that aspect of my playing, and I need some help from the master. Stuff like the intro to Futile and the verses of Bonnie the Cat come to mind when I think of my favorite kind of this stuff in your playing.

Thanks,
Dan

Hey Gavin. I am GUTTED that I have lost the CD for rhythmic illusions. I have contacted burning shed and they won't provide me with a replacement. I was wondering if you had the mp3s of the accompanying audio CD? I really want to study with the book again but I just can't seem to get a replacement. I would be willing to buy the standalone CD again... Here's me with my copy of the book should anyone think I didn't go out and buy it! I hope you can help!

Cheers

Luke
351bol2.jpg

Last edited:
Hi Max1805

I was wondering if you could tell me about your home-studio floor? I've got a 'home-studio' setup and I use thin carpet tiles on the floor with various sound-proofing underneath. But as of late I have been experimenting with placing MDF boards underneath the kit to help 'improve' the sound of the drums on recordings. Ultimately my questions is, is this necessary and how much would you say the acoustics of the floor matter in a home-studio recording environment? (My room isn't dead sounding).

I would say that the floor is the least of your worries. If you feel the drums sound a bit better on MDF then great - but it's probably the reflections in the rest of the room that would affect the overall drum sound the most. It also depends how you mic the kit and how much of the overhead mics you listen to. My drums are currently on a riser so I can move the kit around the room - and nearer to my live room. That can make a noticeable difference.

Hi formula428

I too have a larger kit (3 up, 2 down). When you record your overheads, about how high are they? Also approximately how far from the snare are they to each mic? Do you find yourself changing the height when you switch to different thicknesses of cymbals, to rebalance the drum/cymbal mix in the overheads?

My overhead mics are slightly above and slightly behind me (like an extension of my ears) the kit sounds more balanced to me that way - not over emphasizing the cymbals as they do when their in a more 'tradition' overhead mic position. At the moment they are 140cms from the centre of the snare drum.

Hi DsDrummer

What would kind of exercises do you recommend to one who is trying to get better with polyrythms and beat displacement? I've been trying to improve that aspect of my playing, and I need some help from the master. Stuff like the intro to Futile and the verses of Bonnie the Cat come to mind when I think of my favorite kind of this stuff in your playing.

I think really you just have to get good at hearing syncopation - notes that are 'on the beat' and notes that are 'off the beat' and relate them to a quarter note pulse. You just need to think about it - give yourself a point of reference (like a recording of pop song) and tap out groups of 3, 5 and 7 in 16ths and triplets - and try to hang on to where the downbeats are in 4/4. If that sounds too hard - then write them out and 'see' where all the beats land. It's important to know EXACTLY where every note should be. The more you do it the easier it will become.

Hi Torkerz

I am GUTTED that I have lost the CD for rhythmic illusions. I have contacted burning shed and they won't provide me with a replacement. I was wondering if you had the mp3s of the accompanying audio CD?

OK PM me your email address and I'll try to upload the audio files for you.

cheers
Gavin

here are some up coming clinic dates (and a special masterclass in a recording studio) If you know drummers in these areas of Germany - let them know!

27.10.2014 Musik Meisinger, Burghausen www.musik-meisinger.de
28.10.2014 Drum Department, Stuttgart www.drumdepartment.de
29.10.2014 Six & Four, Sulzbach www.sixandfour.de
30.10.2014 Musik Schönau, Gießen www.musik-schoenau.de
31.10.2014 Just Music, Berlin www.justmusic.de
01.11.2014 Recording Masterclass*, KMR Audio Berlin (in association with Prism Sound) http://www.prismsound.com/music_recording/store/store_offers3.php
http://www.prismsound.com/music_recording/store/store_offers3.php?lng=de

Hey Gavin! (and everyone else)

Just thought I'd share a little something I did up a while back while I sit here listening to "Time Flies" on my laptop because it is "The Incident" related. I actually transcribed all of "Your Unpleasant Family" into a score on this website by the name of Noteflight, which I like to use for writing music. And about a year ago I didn't have any projects going on that I was writing myself, so I decided to take on the 1 minute 48 second song that has brought me great joy over the years. The lyrics are just plain fun. Transcribing it also taught me a bit about Colin Edwin's bass playing, and the bass line he laid out was pretty groovy.

So here you'll find the link. When you get to the page, the play button is down in the lower left hand corner. I'd like to think I did a decent job on it. Enjoy.
http://www.noteflight.com/scores/view/504909d3b9632a921f053988d97f8332b18080e5

Th-th th-th th-That's all folks.
Cheers-- Peter

Hey Gavin!
I'm mesmerised by the song 'Scar' you recorded with 05Ric. I'm going to perform this piece for my final examination performance and was wondering if you knew of somewhere I could find a backing track of the song that excludes the drumming.
Cheers,
Alex.

Hey Gavin,

I've been thinking a lot lately on drumming "in the pocket," making sure my backbeat lands exactly where I want it, and making sure the backbeat doesn't make the groove doesn't feel rushed or sluggish. But I feel like I may be overthinking it. Do you have any pointers on the subtle differences of playing "on top of the beat" or "behind the beat?"

Thanks

Hi Mr Harrison :)

(displacing= are we really playing at Dis'place..its what i normally say while im pointing at a really bad venue)

ive noticed while shifting hihat by one 16th (while playing a constant 8th note hi hat patterns),everyone suddenly throws all accents and dynamics in the bin.

a nice groove turns into
"LOOK THESE ARE THE DISPLACED 16TH HI HAT NOTES!"

ive found rather than seeing the displaced pattern as a
'syncopation mind bending exercise' , im practicing hearing the offset relative to the true down beat,tune etc and keeping a track off both.

It seems like all the dynamics fall back into place more naturally that way.

I think hearing a formula is more beneficial than learning a lot of set patterns.

It would be interesting you hear your views on this :)

Basicaly the topic of displacing and dynamics ........

Mmmm Topic ! ...reminds me must get down the shop to buy some chocs for me mam

all the best
Timzy

Last edited:
Hy Gavin,
it was a great pleasure to see, hear and meet you two weeks ago in Stuttgart in the Drum Department.
I'm the guy who had the honour to sign you the Fuchs-CD "The Unity Of Two". If you like Pink Floyd and Genesis in the period of '75-'80 it might be something for you.
I would be very happy if you could take the time to listen to the CD and tell me your honest opinion. I played the drums, recorded them as well, recorded and edited the guitars and made the final mix. I'm of course curious if you like the drums, their sound and the general sound of the CD. And if the CD is to your liking (as well???) you would make not only me but a bunch of people involved in this project very happy.
Take your time but please get back to me...
I thank you in advance.
Florsky

Last edited:
Hi Gavin,

I'm working with a click track with my band and I found it hard to find a good click sound that cuts trough but that is not annoying. Which click do you use?

Thanks for your time.

William Régnier

Hi Gavin,

I was watching an interview with you on youtube in which you mentioned that your teacher Dave Cutler had you learn an Alan Dawson Syncopation exercise, and that you had to practice it for 3 months until you had it learned properly and could continue lessons with him.

Can you recall specifically which syncopation exercise this was?

HI mralexnorton

I'm mesmerised by the song 'Scar' you recorded with 05Ric. I'm going to perform this piece for my final examination performance and was wondering if you knew of somewhere I could find a backing track of the song that excludes the drumming.

The backing track for that song is inside the disc that comes with my Book "Rhythmic Designs". There's also a great transcription (by Terry Branam) of exactly what I played on the original recording of that song.

Hi Samshster

I've been thinking a lot lately on drumming "in the pocket," making sure my backbeat lands exactly where I want it, and making sure the backbeat doesn't make the groove doesn't feel rushed or sluggish. But I feel like I may be overthinking it. Do you have any pointers on the subtle differences of playing "on top of the beat" or "behind the beat?"

I think you just have to know what it sounds and feels like - and then try to replicate that when you're playing. I tried for so many years to play slightly back on the beat - I find it hard to change it to any other position. I really like the way it makes the music feel.

Hi Timzy

ive noticed while shifting hihat by one 16th (while playing a constant 8th note hi hat patterns),everyone suddenly throws all accents and dynamics in the bin. a nice groove turns into "LOOK THESE ARE THE DISPLACED 16TH HI HAT NOTES!" ive found rather than seeing the displaced pattern as a
'syncopation mind bending exercise' , im practicing hearing the offset relative to the true down beat,tune etc and keeping a track off both.
It seems like all the dynamics fall back into place more naturally that way.
I think hearing a formula is more beneficial than learning a lot of set patterns.
It would be interesting you hear your views on this :)

I don't find I have a problem with the dynamics once I displace a pattern - but it sounds like you've found your own way to make it happen - so that's great.

Hi Florsky

it was a great pleasure to see, hear and meet you two weeks ago in Stuttgart in the Drum Department.
I'm the guy who had the honour to sign you the Fuchs-CD "The Unity Of Two".
I would be very happy if you could take the time to listen to the CD and tell me your honest opinion.

Unfortunately - as you might imagine a lot of folks ask this kind of question to me after they give me their CD or Youtube link and to be fair I don't have time to review everything I get asked to. Sorry I can't comment on it - otherwise I would spend the rest of my life with these requests - but best of luck with it.

Hi willregnier

I'm working with a click track with my band and I found it hard to find a good click sound that cuts trough but that is not annoying. Which click do you use?

Somewhere in this thread I uploaded the two sounds that I use for a click (wood block and cabasa). If you can search back you should be able to find them.

Hi Souljacker

I was watching an interview with you on youtube in which you mentioned that your teacher Dave Cutler had you learn an Alan Dawson Syncopation exercise, and that you had to practice it for 3 months until you had it learned properly and could continue lessons with him. Can you recall specifically which syncopation exercise this was?

Yes I can - but it's something that I'm probably going to make a little YouTube film about - it's slightly complicated and needs explaining well. Plus I think it would really help to actually see it being played - (as I did when Dave played it for me 34 years ago)!

cheers
Gavin

Last edited:
Hi Gavin,
Just a quick question re: Zildjian Days. Originally on the Zildjian site there was a date for 2 Dec in Istanbul.

Could you please confirm if this is going to happen. I would love to go to Istanbul and attend.

Thank you very much for your time!

Somewhere in this thread I uploaded the two sounds that I for a click (wood block and cabasa). If you can search back you should be able to find them.

cheers
Gavin

I found it. Thanks a lot.

Will

Hey Gavin!

So a couple weeks back I was just jamming out with my phone on shuffle, and "The Man Who Sold Himself" came on, and I was like "yeah, I'm in the mood to play along to this." (Because it's such any easy song to play along with... said no one ever. But that's a good thing. I like it for its complexities.) Generally I can get through 90-95% of the song with accuracy (especially after someone transcribed that 9/8 middle section a while back, really helped my understanding).

And then I got to the end. That little fill section is the one thing I struggled with ever since first hearing the song. I had had it with not knowing how to play that fill, so I did something about it and transcribed it myself. I don't think anyone else has done so yet, so I thought I'd share with what I came up with. (My notation is better in this transcription too!) Not exactly sure what time signature you would consider it in, but I just wrote it in 4/4 for convenience.

And just so people can listen and read along at the same time, here's a link to the song as well. I marked it at 2:47, but in the video it starts at 2:49.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yjB0hBoidsQ

I hope I've helped anyone else who struggled with this fill too.
Cheers-- Peter

Attachments

• The Man Who Sold Himself Ending Fill.JPG
    The Man Who Sold Himself Ending Fill.JPG
    68.8 KB · Views: 1,382
Hi Gavin!
Question about your mixing console. On a photo from your clinics i can see that you use 4 channels of your mixing console: 1st and 2nd channel - for playalong track, 3rd channel - for click track (if i got it right). But what is the 4th channel for?
Thank you!

Last try… a little appetizer..
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CuCqdXlFjZM

Hi Florsky

I'm the guy who had the honour to sign you the Fuchs-CD "The Unity Of Two".
I would be very happy if you could take the time to listen to the CD and tell me your honest opinion.

Unfortunately - as you might imagine a lot of folks ask this kind of question to me after they give me their CD or Youtube link and to be fair I don't have time to review everything I get asked to. Sorry I can't comment on it - otherwise I would spend the rest of my life with these requests - but best of luck with it.

Back