The New Breed by Gary Chester - advice

Re: The New Breed and Stick Control: pratise routines

you should really only practice the new breed if you have advanced skills, especially a very well developed bass drum chop, as the new breed is an ADVANCED book..

Agreed on both JC and DW comments. If you don't have the skills to take on Chesters book, it will leave you wondering and pondering what the hell your even doing behind a kit.

Dont listen to them, New Breed is advanced yes, but it is progressive, is does break you in somewhat, this is the great thing about it, yes it will drive you crazy to begin with, but it gets easier every pattern you work through. Personally I did not find that difficult, there were occasions where I felt like throwing it away yes, but mostly just went through the motions with it.

As for practicing work through it like he says, practice nice and slow at first play each bar until you feel really comfortable with it, sing the bass, sing the hat, sing the parts like he says, He does mention playing through each bar four times, You will probably need to take more time to do that. If you find the voice excersises to hard leave them out at fisrt, and add them in later. It will take time, but is worth it. I spend about 30 mins a night working out of this book, and do about 2 pages a night,

Once you have been through the book once you can take it a step further, once you understand this system of learning co-ordiantion, and it is great system of learning anything, you can apply more complicated patterns, go through it with Shuffles and what not, different ghosting patterns etc etc. but for now just do what the man says.

As for stick control, i must confess, I dont use it a lot in my drumset practice.....a sin I know, but im sure you can find lots of interesting things to do with that book in the thread for things to do with stick control.

peace.

Dont listen to them, New Breed is advanced yes, but it is progressive, is does break you in somewhat, this is the great thing about it, yes it will drive you crazy to begin with, but it gets easier every pattern you work through. Personally I did not find that difficult, there were occasions where I felt like throwing it away yes, but mostly just went through the motions with it.

As for practicing work through it like he says, practice nice and slow at first play each bar until you feel really comfortable with it, sing the bass, sing the hat, sing the parts like he says, He does mention playing through each bar four times, You will probably need to take more time to do that. If you find the voice excersises to hard leave them out at fisrt, and add them in later. It will take time, but is worth it. I spend about 30 mins a night working out of this book, and do about 2 pages a night,

Once you have been through the book once you can take it a step further, once you understand this system of learning co-ordiantion, and it is great system of learning anything, you can apply more complicated patterns, go through it with Shuffles and what not, different ghosting patterns etc etc. but for now just do what the man says.

As for stick control, i must confess, I dont use it a lot in my drumset practice.....a sin I know, but im sure you can find lots of interesting things to do with that book in the thread for things to do with stick control.

peace.

Thank you so much for your encouraging words man ;)

Yes I'll practise slow and do what the man says ;)

Thanks!

What is this "the new breed", who is it by, where would i find it, etc.?
Cheers

What is this "the new breed", who is it by, where would i find it, etc.?
Cheers

"The New Breed" is a method book by studio legend Gary Chester. It is recommended by many pros, including Dave Weckl. It has many progressive "systems" to develop better coordination and overall playing. It's a very popular book and shouldn't be too hard to find.

I must admit I have not looked at it enough. If you don't take it slow, you'll get frustrated real fast.

Here's a question, do you or do you not practice the systems that call for you to play crossed for open players, or open for crossed players? I'm sure everyone would agree there's no harm in learning both but what do YOU do? I personally try them sometimes, but I'm not so good at playing open and it can get frustrating.

Re: The New Breed: pratise routines

Im looking at a bunch of books to work on over the summer, and Im thinking that maybe I could get this book to have as a reference on my bookshelf.

A good idea?

jangus, what do you mean by play crossed for open players, or open for crossed players? i feel i might be asking a silly question or something, but i'm intrigued.

and Yeah there's a bunch of books i wanted to get, have been making a list, most i've only heard of. so far i'm looking into these:
John Riley's "Art of Bop Drumming"
"Stick Control for the Snare Drummer" by George Lawrence Stone
George Stone's "Accents and Rebounds"
and now "The New Breed" by Gary Chester

i already have Jim Chapin's "Advanced Techniques for the Modern Drummer" and it's great. Is there any others anyone can recomend, or any recomendations of which i should get first?

Cheers
J

Ps. looking at getting some more instructional/inspirational dvds, so far i have the one from flo mounier and steve smith. any great ones out there?

Last edited:

4-Way Coordination by Marvin Dahlgren
100 TIPS FOR DRUMS YOU SHOULD HAVE BEEN TOLD (BOOK AND CD) by Peter Riley

Chester recommends using two hi hats (using my electronic kit is nice, I can just program a pad as another hat). Open means not crossing right hand over ldft to play hats. Play ride with right hand, hats with left--a more ambidextrous approach than most folks use.

I mean on systems that call for the left hand playing the hat and the right playing snare, do the players that normally play right on hats practice these, and vice versa?

I mean on systems that call for the left hand playing the hat and the right playing snare, do the players that normally play right on hats practice these, and vice versa?

Okay, I'm reading from the book. He actually uses 3 hats (one is over the right floor tom).
He thinks crossing over is unnatural so even though he doesn't state it during instructions for the "systems", it seems as if you shouldn't cross. You should still practice these systems, just substitute the ride or a cowbell otherwise you'd be skipping whole systems and he's set these up to be sequential. System #2 is R on Hats and L on snare so he must mean the hats on the right side. System #1 has R on Hats and L on Hats.

http://www.drummerworld.com/forums/showthread.php?t=28442

http://www.cymbalholic.com/forums/showthread.php?p=193739

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c7RMXjQaYL8

Right now I am using it to practice my independence and reading at the same time. A cool exercise my teacher told me to told is to play:
8th notes on the ride
1/4 notes with the hi hat (left foot)
2 and 4 on the snare

While all this is going on, start on 1-A and play the notes with the bass drum. It is difficult at first but it will help your independence and reading no-end!

jangus, what do you mean by play crossed for open players, or open for crossed players? i feel i might be asking a silly question or something, but i'm intrigued.

and Yeah there's a bunch of books i wanted to get, have been making a list, most i've only heard of. so far i'm looking into these:
John Riley's "Art of Bop Drumming"
"Stick Control for the Snare Drummer" by George Lawrence Stone
George Stone's "Accents and Rebounds"
and now "The New Breed" by Gary Chester

i already have Jim Chapin's "Advanced Techniques for the Modern Drummer" and it's great. Is there any others anyone can recomend, or any recomendations of which i should get first?

Cheers
J

Ps. looking at getting some more instructional/inspirational dvds, so far i have the one from flo mounier and steve smith. any great ones out there?

The new one from Jojo mayer looks damn good. Saw a Trailer for it on youtube last night. Really in depth. and some very nice graphics too. :)
havent been able to find a torrent for it yet...coz im too cheap to buy it..... lol

Last edited:

The new one from Jojo mayer looks damn good. .....
havent been able to find a torrent for it yet...coz im too cheap to buy it..... lol

That remark and the attitude behind it should make your reputation in this community take a serious hit. Stealing from a genius, non-mainstream drummer who could use more recognition is something you should reconsider. Shape up and BUY it! Mow the darn lawn...do something... DPS

He uses 3 hats because he can play with either a left hand or right hand lead and still get the foot on the hat going.

The hat on the right is closed. He can play that with his right hand and put the left foot on the hat. One hat on the left is closed so he can do the same thing with left hand lead. There is also a regular hat for the foot in the normal position.

If you don't have 2 or 3 hats just ride on another surface like a ride cymbal or a tom rim.

Practice this to a click, SLOWLY and sing as per the instructions.

Don't think you'll get though this book in a month or two, either.

The new one from Jojo mayer looks damn good. Saw a Trailer for it on youtube last night. Really in depth. and some very nice graphics too. :)

I'm too cheap to buy a new TV, maybe I'll steal one.

Gary Chester New Breed - advice needed

I've just started this and its amazing, I've spent two days on one system and melody as its so bloody hard. I've realised that I not really been using my hi hat muich other than on the 2 and 4. Relearning with a four on the floor hi hat is v v hard for me.

But, my query is, Gary Chester says something in the instructions which I don't understand:

"When you read these systems in practice, try to read across as you would sight read a page of music – not up and down. By this I mean that most people relate each note to where it falls in relation to the quarter note. It is good to feel this when you sing but I do not recommend trying to read against the quarter."

What exactly does he mean? I'm desparately hoping it makes this easier!

Re: Gary Chester New Breed - advice needed

And while I'm at it, why the **** is it sooooo much harder doing the excercises singing 'la, la, la, la' out loud than saying 'one, two, three, four'???!

i'm studying the same book. i think it means don't try and read e's as like, a sixteenth note later than a quarter note, and &'s as "halfway between 3 and 4" or such like that. i think he means to read it as a lateral melody, instead of worrying about where it falls in relation to the quarter notes.

im realy stupid with that book.i took one look at it and went, what the hell should i do.the systems and the melodies.what is the melodies.how do you play a melody.like the notes in the melody section.i understand how the rhythm goes.it's just snare notes.but how do u put that in with the systems?
i think that's a realy dumb question, but plz help also

Back