What Is So Bad About PDP?

As long as people will listen to all the marketing hype then I guess that is true.

Here's my kit. I bought it only a year old for basically half of what it cost new. I got really lucky on the deal. I probably would have bought a more vivid color, but I couldn't pass on this deal. All I did is replace the stock top heads and a little bit of tuning, and I was good to go. The bass booms, and the floor toms have a great sound. I found no defects or wear on the kit, even though it had been played for a year. Fortunately it was only played at practices in someone's house, and not transported out to any gigs. I transport all the drums in bags to keep them from being scratched or banged up. This is both my home practice and gig kit. I have a second kit (Pearl Exports) that I leave at church for playing every week.

NewDrumsandBills50th020.jpg

NewDrumsandBills50th016.jpg

yeah, pdp is great, they hit the market as the first economy drums with maple and birch shells. i only saw a few negative statements at first, but nothing like ply separation and the like (that's pretty damn bad too!). the only thing i don't like about them are the lugs...they look like eyeballs!! if i were going to buy another mid range kit, though, i'd go with the gretsch catalinas hands down (i already have the early catalina club jazz, such versatility in that little thing, i named her "catalina caliente"). you get more drums (free rack/floor tom offers on a regular basis) a greater diversity of shell sizes more than anything in the price range (18x14 to 24x18 kicks, 8" to 16" toms) more wood selection like mahogany (the club jazz and club rock variants only), birch, maple, and ash, and they have the best looking finishes and shell hardware of them all!! pdp is awesome still, but the catalinas....oh man, classy drums with a sexy name. they brought high class to the mid-price range.

yeah, pdp is great, they hit the market as the first economy drums with maple and birch shells. i only saw a few negative statements at first, but nothing like ply separation and the like (that's pretty damn bad too!). the only thing i don't like about them are the lugs...they look like eyeballs!! if i were going to buy another mid range kit, though, i'd go with the gretsch catalinas hands down (i already have the early catalina club jazz, such versatility in that little thing, i named her "catalina caliente"). you get more drums (free rack/floor tom offers on a regular basis) a greater diversity of shell sizes more than anything in the price range (18x14 to 24x18 kicks, 8" to 16" toms) more wood selection like mahogany (the club jazz and club rock variants only), birch, maple, and ash, and they have the best looking finishes and shell hardware of them all!! pdp is awesome still, but the catalinas....oh man, classy drums with a sexy name. they brought high class to the mid-price range.

Ironically, I play Gretsch Catalinas during practices at our guitarist's house. It is only a 4-piece, and there are ongoing issues with trying to tune them to sound good. They are very muted sounding drums, and the bass is more like a pop sound than a good thud.

There are a lot of people out their who bought these drums, love what they bought and genuinely feel that they got their money's worth... but, of course, you know better.
Guess I do. That is why I don't have a set. :)

I bought a used display set of X7's (the older, hybrid wood kind) for a church I played at a few years ago. With new heads, they sounded great, played nicely, projected well through mics and in the headphone mix, and stayed where I put them hardware-wise. The only issue I ever had with them in two years was the head of the wingbolt that secures the tom post on the kick came off. But to be fair, I've had that happen with Pearl, Gibraltar, and Ludwig wingbolts too. For the deal I got with those drums, I would get a set for myself with no hesitations.

I really don't have a problem with PDP. I've never owned any of their kits but i've played on several. I haven't really found one that i just had to have but if i owned one i wouldn't complain...if that makes sense. The only thing about PDP that i would stay away from is their hardware and pedals. IMO some of the worst on the market.

I've owned a couple of PDP sets (also a Saturn and now a DW).

The FS series (birch) I owned was fairly well made and sturdy, but it was a very early model produced in Japan. The sound however, was nothing to brag about.

My CX kit (maple) was just the opposite; excllent sound, but the drum hardware and mounting systems were garbage (IMO). I dropped some $$ in those I regret just keeping them running.

As far as those that out there that slam DW or call it hype, I would like to know how many of you have actually owned a DW kit. Not sat down on one at a store or at a buddy's house. The overall quality, durability, craftsmanship, finishing and sound is the best in the market IMO. Yes, you could probably stand up a flat black PDP kit against a flat black DW kit for a signle gig and no one would tell the difference, but the value of the product goes so much farther beyond that. My DW kit is the first set I've ever owned I haven't had to invest a single dollar (other than heads) in for maintenance. Not having to worry about what is going to break next in my kit is a really good feeling, especially when I get them out of the house.

Nothing. They're doing their thing. Cheap imported kits that sound like cheap imported kitss, some higher-quality "mid-level" kits that sound like mid-level kits, and some nicer kits that sound like nicer kits. Nothing really special about them, just a solid company/brand name that DW started to sell stock kits for cheaper. At least DW didn't go the way of OCDP and start putting out absolute crap under their own name. And, actually, the CX/LX kits were pretty incredible-sounding, before they went to the straight-sided shells.

DW is still a "custom" drum company, despite the fact that you see so many new kits sitting in drum shops across the country. The Performance Series is where it gets iffy for me--they say DW on them, they're supposedly the same shells, but they're marketed in a few stock colors and stock sizes. If you were going to buy a cortex white DW kit, you might as well pay half as much and get a Performance Series. When they start offering sparkle/pearl/satin flame wraps, they'll really take off, I'm sure...

I don't think that there is anything wrong with a PDP. I have a Pearlescent White X7. I did change the heads from the Remo UK that it came with to Evans EC2s. I haven't had much experience in the way of playing for a long time, but for the money, the maple kit sings to me. I play hard rock and some metal and they stand up pretty good. Clamps don't loosen and that is important if you don't have time to check in between songs. But if you are looking for a couple of really good custom sets, I think DW and Spaun are great. I have only tapped a few times on these sets, but I think they are well worth the money.
I have done alot of reading on sets and sticks and such before I bought, and I believe that it is your own preference and how much money you want to spend. Also what type of music you play.
As for the next year or so, the PDP is my choice.

My re-entry kit after a 25 year absence was a PDP FS kit. Clean bearing edges, nice wood finish. With the right tuning and warm heads, they sound nice. I got it at a great price, which IMO tends to add to it's investment value to me.

Now - the lugs are not the prettiest. Weird looking oval shaped.
The 900 series hardware is the only grade I would use (just cymbal stands).
I won't use PDP pedals (HH + Bass pedal).
Also, the PDP FS Snare requires more effort and patience. Too much for me to keep, so I sold it. The rest of the kit is adorned with DW hardware, pedals, snare. No stress in gigging or carrying the kit around - since I don't have much money into it. Bags and cases help though.

My DW Collectors kit sits in my home studio...clearly a different sound whenever I set up the PDP...not a bad entry level or perhaps - intermediate set.

Yea im hardly an expert on the matter,but in my experience,the PDP z5 the wife bought me has given me zero trouble at all.I realize that in the drumming community they are probably the equivalent of being seen on a Vespa,but in my limited experience they are very well made,look great and stay in tune.The hardware that came with is sturdy.After all the problems I have heard people having with custom drums coming with the plys coming apart,it makes these Z5's look untouchable for the price.

Sure it may be the Vespa compared to everyone elses Harleys,but it never had to go straight back for repairs either.So either I got a good one,or they are doing some good work on their bottom end lines.

I mean the thing was 299 bucks with hardware.Trust me I looked it over trying to find out why they were so cheap,and couldnt find the slightest scratch.Not a single problem with the lugs,wrap or plys.Hoops are not the greatest as would be expected,but still they were absolutely true and unblemished.

I dont know how they operate at PDP,but alot of companies have specific assembly lines for each product they carry.Your more experienced people on the higher end lines.Your less experienced on the lower end lines.I am thinking that some of them guys on the lower end lines have some serious skills.Perhaps even more so than the people on the higher end lines.Or I just got a set that was made during peak season,and all lines were making the z5's....so mine may have been made by that buildings top crew that day.I dont know,but for 300 bucks I will never complain about them.

I bought a Pacific SX Series snare about a year ago. It was used, and I really like how it looks and sounds. It says, "01 Feb. 2006" on the inside of the shell. That is my only experience with Pacific drums. I have a live DVD in which a drummer used a Pacific kit, and it sounds good. Peace and goodwill.

I just recently traded in some old hardware and was able to get a used 5"x13" PDP Steel Snare and new heads for it, for $18! My only compliant with this drum is the lugs. They are these huge, handle looking things that don't have rubber gaskets under them so that the tension rods don't go in straight.

Other then that, the drum seems to be made fairly decently and it sounds ok. I put a Remo clear CS on it and tuned it really high. It sounds like a piccolo.

Honestly though, I would've passed on it if I wouldn't have gotten it for so cheap.

Ironically, I play Gretsch Catalinas during practices at our guitarist's house. It is only a 4-piece, and there are ongoing issues with trying to tune them to sound good. They are very muted sounding drums, and the bass is more like a pop sound than a good thud.

damn, dude. just try tweaking them, what kind of heads do they have? i use g1's and an emad, plenty of sustain and tone

I just picked up a used, but in very good condition, PDP CX kit for my nephew for Christmas. After taking them apart and going through them, I was impressed with the quality of them. I have previously owned a DW kit, so I know of their quality. I changed out the heads and got a great sound out of them. I wouldn't hesitate to use them on a gig.

Love my PDPs. Love my DW Collectors too.

Oranges versus tangerines, that's all. Both taste great.

0Ofef.jpg

7FAMD.jpg

Back